Which Iowa border state would you be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war?

Which one?

• Total voters

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yes, Missouri has more, but many of you are underestimating how much meth Iowa has. Or maybe it's just that the most frequent place I visit in Iowa is Fort Dodge.

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
True story: A Missouri sheriff was charged with hunting deer without a license in Iowa 10 miles north of the border. He actually said he thought he was still in Missouri.

• Funny
Reactions: CyValley

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Missouri. Without a doubt. You combo Ozark folks coming up the middle, flanked by City of St. Louis and Kansas City, IA folks would be F'd.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Missouri. Without a doubt. You combo Ozark folks coming up the middle, flanked by City of St. Louis and Kansas City, IA folks would be F'd.
True, but if they did it in the middle of a January snow storm, they probably return and head back.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Of course Nebraska and the Dakotas have all of the Nuclear Weapons.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Is each state allowed to use the military bases stationed there or are we going just civil war between common people? Population of Illinois would make it the worst to go against. We do have a river boundary which would make a good natural defensive line, but once the Illini established a beach head in say Moline we'd be screwed. Pretty much a scorched earth policy as we made a tactical retreat to Omaha. Freddie will pull the 2 states together and we'll start a counter offensive. I'd say we push back to the outskirts of Iowa City and decide to stop there as it's not worth fighting for.

While Illinois population is rather large if you have to remember one thing... the rural population hates Chicago. Go on the offensive and turn the non Chicago population and your fighting force becomes almost 7 million.

The correct answer are the meth fueled Missourians. A fighting force that never sleeps and can't stop moving? No thanks.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Nebraska has survived off of Runza. Don't underestimate them.
It's like drinking the water in Mexico. The locals have iron stomachs from consuming it, foreigners can't touch it. Same with Runza. I've never eaten at a Runza without having to pull over soon thereafter.

Reactions: Die4Cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We could just build a big ass canal along the southern border (or to the Des Moines River), and then BOOM, a lot of our problems are solved.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I think you would have to watch out for South Dakota. Anytime you talk to someone from SD you soon learn they are VERY proud of their State and their way of life. Plus a very high % of them know how to shoot and ride horses.

Thing is, NW Iowa is very similar to South Dakota...so we would probably lose 25% - 35% of our land mass to SD without a shot being fired.

Of course they wouldn't fight on Sunday's...which is nice for family time.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I think you would have to watch out for South Dakota. Anytime you talk to someone from SD you soon learn they are VERY proud of their State and their way of life. Plus a very high % of them know how to shoot and ride horses.

Thing is, NW Iowa is very similar to South Dakota...so we would probably lose 25% - 35% of our land mass to SD without a shot being fired.

That is when you get them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Once you get west of the Driftless Area and north of Highway 30, you're basically in South Dakota. And that includes all of Minnesota south of I-94 and west of the Driftless Area.

Agrarian Minnesota, the Eastern Dakotas, and the flat part of Iowa are the same place geographically and culturally.

• Agree
Reactions: Beernuts

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The Norwegians would use dirty fighting techniques like offering free lefsa dinners at all their Lutheran Churches...you know us German's can't turn down something that is free.
True. Then the only recourse we have left is to refuse to grow barley and hops and boycott Hamms.
Edit: Forgot that Hamms is not produced in St. Paul. We’re toast.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The Norwegians would use dirty fighting techniques like offering free lefsa dinners at all their Lutheran Churches...you know us German's can't turn down something that is free.
And MN would pelt you with lutefisk. You'd never get rid of that smell. But it might help cover up the pig manure scent.

• Haha
Reactions: IsUaClone2

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If Iowa were to engage in a war of conquest with another bordering state, which would be most worth it, regardless of that state's ability to respond?

I'd think Illinois' large financial sector and industrial base would push us in that direction, but it is also fiscally a huge mess.

Springfield is just sitting there and ready to be taken, but leadership would likely flee the capital long before we could get there. Once they set up in absentia in Chicago they will be much harder to target.

Ultimately, you can't attack Ohio (my ultimate goal here) until you establish forward operating areas much closer than we currently are, so I think even though it would be a challenge (forget about Indiana for a moment) this would be the most prudent use of resources.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Of course Nebraska and the Dakotas have all of the Nuclear Weapons.
Nebraska no longer contains nuclear weapons. Offutt is a command and control facility. It probably has a decent defensive capability (at least from an air assault) but it's ability to conduct any offensive maneuvers is pretty close to zero.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Once you get west of the Driftless Area and north of Highway 30, you're basically in South Dakota. And that includes all of Minnesota south of I-94 and west of the Driftless Area.

Agrarian Minnesota, the Eastern Dakotas, and the flat part of Iowa are the same place geographically and culturally.
That's why this is a hard discussion none of these states would actually divide and fight each other based on the state they live in. The divide would be urban vs rural

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
True story: A Missouri sheriff was charged with hunting deer without a license in Iowa 10 miles north of the border. He actually said he thought he was still in Missouri.

If you were gravel road driving and hunting I see how that could happen.