Which Iowa border state would you be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war?

Which one?

• Total voters

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Is each state allowed to use the military bases stationed there or are we going just civil war between common people? Population of Illinois would make it the worst to go against. We do have a river boundary which would make a good natural defensive line, but once the Illini established a beach head in say Moline we'd be screwed. Pretty much a scorched earth policy as we made a tactical retreat to Omaha. Freddie will pull the 2 states together and we'll start a counter offensive. I'd say we push back to the outskirts of Iowa City and decide to stop there as it's not worth fighting for.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Overall we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Once we close our borders, that's it. Through rigorous, repeated and completely necessary training in the State of Texas (renowned for their own border security) members of the Iowa National Guard and ISP officers are fully prepared to defend the arbitrary lines that separate us from people we don't like. Especially our southern border. Missouri is screwed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is each state allowed to use the military bases stationed there or are we going just civil war between common people? Population of Illinois would make it the worst to go against. We do have a river boundary which would make a good natural defensive line, but once the Illini established a beach head in say Moline we'd be screwed. Pretty much a scorched earth policy as we made a tactical retreat to Omaha. Freddie will pull the 2 states together and we'll start a counter offensive. I'd say we push back to the outskirts of Iowa City and decide to stop there as it's not worth fighting for.
In said scenario, we could retreat to the cedar river but then stop them there as they would have to cross there too. We could flank them from the north and south and cut there supply line. Leaving them stranded around Iowa City and set up siege. Take out the invaders and those in Iowa City. Win win.

Reactions: CyValley

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
In said scenario, we could retreat to the cedar river but then stop them there as they would have to cross there too. We could flank them from the north and south and cut there supply line. Leaving them stranded around Iowa City and set up siege. Take out the invaders and those in Iowa City. Win win.
I was thinking we'd just give that part of the state to Illinois. We wouldn't have another instate big10 school and when next alignments roll around we get an invite to whatever super conference college sports are morphing into. Millions dead but Iowa State athletics is saved. Worth the sacrifice.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not afraid of any of the neighboring states. I do live just west of the Mississippi from Illinois though. I imagine the refugee crisis from Aurora and Naperville would be pretty unbearable should anything like that occur.

Build the wall.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I think the time of year the invasion occurs would be important to consider.

If it’s the middle of winter I would be afraid of Wisconsin. Just imagine a fleet of them coming down in snowmobiles, drunk, and angry about a recent Packers loss.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think the time of year the invasion occurs would be important to consider.

If it’s the middle of winter I would be afraid of Wisconsin. Just imagine a fleet of them coming down in snowmobiles, drunk, and angry about a recent Packers loss.
Capturing SW Wisconsin in a push to Madison would be tough sledding in any season, but especially winter. The roads there are all blacktop but very poor shape.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Missouri is running away with this poll and having been there and seen how many modes of transportation are up on blocks I don't think they have enough tires to mount any kind of border offensive.
Yeah, but their homes are all on wheels so wouldn't that make them more mobile? I think we hold out the first month and knock out their meth factories we'll be in good shape.

• Funny

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
According to this it's Missouri and Nebraska, at least on a per capita basis. Missouri comes in as the 16th overall state and Nebraska as the 12th.

As for preppers and militia, maybe not exactly the same but there's a lot of overlap in that venn diagram I bet.
If you got that Venn diagram from Kamala, I wouldn't trust it.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Ya'all are missing the elephant in the room. The obvious answer is Nebraska. Not only do they have tons of guns, they have Offut Air Force Base, Strategic Air Command of the whole U.S. Air Force. They would bomb Iowa into the Stone Age and never have to send in ground troops.

• Informative

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I picked Missouri, but there is a whole lot of context missing. Do they just randomly invade?

I still like our chances against Mizzou. You'd be surprised at the numbers of Iowans with firearms and other stuff.

We'd have to talk Illinois into turning their John Deere tractor building facility in Moline into a tank/artillery factory.

We'd have to call on our Des Moines financial and banking district to freeze assets for anybody with a Missouri zip code. We'd win.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Ya'all are missing the elephant in the room. The obvious answer is Nebraska. Not only do they have tons of guns, they have Offut Air Force Base, Strategic Air Command of the whole U.S. Air Force. They would bomb Iowa into the Stone Age and never have to send in ground troops.
I hadn't thought of that.

But I don't think you will be able to pacify Iowa with an aerial assault, even if it is an extended one. The troops have to come across at some point. When they realize that you can't just step across most of Iowa's rivers like the ones in Nebraska they will have logistics issues.