When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think these two stats are interesting:

The poll by the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago and the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that 47% of U.S. adults say it’s not likely they would buy an EV as their next car. Only 19% of respondents say it’s “very” or “extremely” likely they would purchase an EV.

According to a new survey, 90% of EV drivers are likely or very likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle

This kind of reminds me of minivans. A large percentage of the population doesn't want them but once they have one, they will never move away from them.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
When you don't have to drive one for ten years before breaking even on emissions. They are a sham.

The Contradictions of Battery Operated Vehicles

I completely agree with this guy. Which is why there needs to be a similar update to our power production in this country to match the cars. Electric cars will obviously require more electricity to be produced to charge these every day. Just building more gas plants is not the solution. We should be putting massive amounts of investments into nuclear power to support that new electricity demand that's coming.

But this is also assuming the only reason to buy an electric car is for environmental reasons. I'd argue that the geo-political advantages of reducing our dependence on oil far outweighs the climate impact in the short term.

• Winner
Reactions: CyCloned

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Well good news for you then, they break even on emissions between 40k-60k miles depending on the BEV and the one you're comparing them to and where your electricity comes from. In Iowa where we have a large part of our power generated by wind it's closer to that 40k miles where you get over that hump.
That estimate is incorrect. Please watch the link I added.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
When you don't have to drive one for ten years before breaking even on emissions. They are a sham.

The Contradictions of Battery Operated Vehicles
That's where I am at right now. I was all in until recently. I just don't know enough about the mining and manufacturing process. From the little I know it doesn't sound good from a human capital standpoint nor does it sound good from an environmental impact.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

I did watch it and I disagree with him. Did you read the description of the video?
NOTE FROM TED: This talk only reflects the speaker's personal views and interpretation. Several claims in this talk lack scientific support.

On top of that I'm currently working on a BEV design team so I have a really good idea on what's good and what's bad about them. Before that I spent time working on fleet wide emissions reductions and alternative fuels compared to diesel. So I'm not some clueless rube that assumes because I found a YouTube video that confirms my pre-existing bias I'm an expert. A BEV will not completely completely remove all carbon emissions from our environment but they will greatly reduce our environmental impact from transportation.

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
This kind of reminds me of minivans. A large percentage of the population doesn't want them but once they have one, they will never move away from them.
I disagree, I think a large % of mini van owners move away from them once they are done with that phase of life. They are incredibly useful when kids are young but eventually you don't want or need one.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
There have been a lot of studies done and it depends a lot of what vehicles you compare and which grid you’re connected to. Using something like the Hummer EV on a grid that’s natural gas and still uses some coal is going to take a long time to reach the break even point. A more efficient EV that doesn’t require as big of a battery on a grid with some renewables the break even point is much lower, worst case scenario before 100,000 miles (likely much closer to 50,000). But your point (and the speaker in your video) is valid that it’s not currently the emissions panacea that some make it out to be.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I wasn't ready to make the complete jump to 100% electric, so last year I bought a new 2022 Ford Maverick hybrid pickup. It only cost me $28,000 and gets 50 miles/gallon. Very happy with my decision!

1682086910445.png

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
My biggest concern is depreciation with EV's. If car batteries are anything like phone batteries, models will get outdated quickly in favor of newer models with smaller batteries, batteries with longer lives, longer range, lighter...

• Winner
Reactions: Candide

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm shocked to see 10+. I said 1-5 because there needs to be a bit of infrastructure improvement, but if I can charge 300 miles in 45 minutes, that's good enough for most road trips.
That's a big hang up for me. I value my time, and I don't want to be sitting for 45 minutes every 300 miles on a big road trip.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
is it 4x4?
The Maverick hybrid is FWD only. That's the one thing that's kept me from buying one of those. That truck is plenty big for me but I want a 4x4. I'm planning on getting a new Tacoma hybrid when they come out later this year/early next year because of that.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
There have been a lot of studies done and it depends a lot of what vehicles you compare and which grid you’re connected to. Using something like the Hummer EV on a grid that’s natural gas and still uses some coal is going to take a long time to reach the break even point. A more efficient EV that doesn’t require as big of a battery on a grid with some renewables the break even point is much lower, worst case scenario before 100,000 miles (likely much closer to 50,000). But your point (and the speaker in your video) is valid that it’s not currently the emissions panacea that some make it out to be.
Yeah I feel like analysis like this can vary widely depending on what inputs you use. I don't ever like people that speak in absolutes about a complicated and varied analysis. Not to mention with the momentum behind EVs that calculation is going to continue to change as things are improved upon and become more efficient.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
You think none of those issues will be resolved? All of those are probably top priority in this space currently.

Also, unless you're old, everyone is going to eventually have to transition over because there will be no other options at some point in the not so distant future.
I think we'll eventually get there, but the infrastructure upgrades needed nationwide to support it are staggering. For instance, I live in a neighborhood with homes that primarily date back to the 30s. Most homes cannot support the additional 240v circuit needed to charge these in a reasonable timeframe. That doesn't even consider places with limited parking or where the only available parking is on the street. I have a hard time imagining extension cords being run out across sidewalks and boulevards.

I'm not even close to sure how to source the materials needed ethically, either.

And the limited range is still the largest barrier to entry for myself (and many others), especially in the cold months when the efficiency of electrical systems plummets.

But, like I said, I think we'll eventually get there. I just hope the process happens naturally and isn't forced to reach 100% far too early. Those growing pains will be astronomically expensive and difficult to implement coast-to-coast.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I had just purchased a new car right before the pandemic hit. My next car will highly likely be an EV. But note for a few years yet.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think we'll eventually get there, but the infrastructure upgrades needed nationwide to support it are staggering. For instance, I live in a neighborhood with homes that primarily date back to the 30s. Most homes cannot support the additional 240v circuit needed to charge these in a reasonable timeframe. That doesn't even consider places with limited parking or where the only available parking is on the street. I have a hard time imagining extension cords being run out across sidewalks and boulevards.

I'm not even close to sure how to source the materials needed ethically, either.

And the limited range is still the largest barrier to entry for myself (and many others), especially in the cold months when the efficiency of electrical systems plummets.

But, like I said, I think we'll eventually get there. I just hope the process happens naturally and isn't forced to reach 100% far too early. Those growing pains will be astronomically expensive and difficult to implement coast-to-coast.
Oh I absolutely agree that further improvements need to be made. I just disagree with the notion that people are never going to buy one because of x, y and z issues that are currently being worked on.

Reactions: aobie

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
The Maverick hybrid is FWD only. That's the one thing that's kept me from buying one of those. That truck is plenty big for me but I want a 4x4. I'm planning on getting a new Tacoma hybrid when they come out later this year/early next year because of that.
just me but i would never buy a truck that isn't 4x4.

but at least its FWD and not RWD.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You think none of those issues will be resolved? All of those are probably top priority in this space currently.

Also, unless you're old, everyone is going to eventually have to transition over because there will be no other options at some point in the not so distant future.
I am a big fan of EV, but there will always be a role/market for ICE. Whether that's for heavy towing, sports cars, whatever. Right now EV has what, 7%? That will grow, but I could see ICE having 10-20%, even in 50 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron