What's your bold take for the season?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Not at all bold but sound big predictions.

-Kyle Kempt will leave Iowa State with most bowl wins in history for a cyclone QB.
-Matt Campbell will join him by reaching the top of the record books at ISU for tying for most post season wins at ISU by a head coach.

After the post season win Vmbplayer will make the assertion that Kyle Kempt is the most successful QB in program history on the message boards and will be ripped by everyone for comparing him to Sage or Wallace despite his multiple post season wins and his win in Norman against OU last year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Completely agree with this post. I think we'll have a slow start, especially with the schedule the way it is. And many fans, including probably myself of course, will be a little down on the team, but one thing about CMC's teams versus past ISU teams.... his never throw in the towel, and so I see them still winning 8 games.

So far that's been the case, but I never thought that'd be the case with CPR (if not fundamentally sound they still played hard for him) either and he had a couple of teams at least flatlined toward the end.

Sometimes a group of people just can't get it together no matter who's leading them.

I don't see that happening with this group though and I also think they're built to withstand a total blowout. OU might pull out the 'revenge' factor but they're still a different team than last year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not at all bold but sound big predictions.

-Kyle Kempt will leave Iowa State with most bowl wins in history for a cyclone QB.
-Matt Campbell will join him by reaching the top of the record books at ISU for tying for most post season wins at ISU by a head coach.

After the post season win Vmbplayer will make the assertion that Kyle Kempt is the most successful QB in program history on the message boards and will be ripped by everyone for comparing him to Sage or Wallace despite his multiple post season wins and his win in Norman against OU last year.

SEE: my earlier posts predicting that someone will think Park was the guy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So far that's been the case, but I never thought that'd be the case with CPR (if not fundamentally sound they still played hard for him) either and he had a couple of teams at least flatlined toward the end.

Sometimes a group of people just can't get it together no matter who's leading them.

I don't see that happening with this group though and I also think they're built to withstand a total blowout. OU might pull out the 'revenge' factor but they're still a different team than last year.

Sorry, but some of CPR's teams were known for quitting. Have you seen a CMC coached team lose by a score of 70-7 yet?

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Longtime Cyclone fans are in shock when we roll over SDSU handily. True freshmen get substantial playing time, and most pencil this in as the first of their “Four”.

Hawk fans throw a fit when Matt Campbell beats Kirk Ferentz comfortably. Doesn’t matter how many other games Iowa wins this season, they’ll have fits about a Kinnick loss to ISU for the next decade or so.

The college football world is shocked when Iowa State beats Oklahoma for the second year in a row. By the end of the game, it’s clear who’s in command in Jack Trice. Sooner fans put plans for a Lincoln Riley statue on the back burner.

Akron is a welcome respite from the emotional rollercoaster of the past couple weeks. Still manages to be the freshmen’s Game Two of Four.

The first serious road trip, the Cyclones go into Fort Worth and pull off a win due partly to to the loss of Blacklock, partly to Horned Frog turnovers. Max Duggan licks his chops at the prospect of starting as a true freshman.

(Easton Dean sits in front of his TV content in the knowledge that he made an even better choice)

The Cyclones go into Stillwater ranked well into the Top Ten and on a swell of emotion. The dizzying heights prove too much. The Cowboys get their revenge for 2011.

West Virginia comes to (MidAmerican Field at) Jack Trice the next week. Will Grier & Co are the real deal, but the Cyclones have a complete team, are playing at home...and are really, really ticked off.

ISU gets a bye week before Homecoming against Texas Tech. Who needs a bye week to prepare for Te—Er, I mean, ISU gets an extra week to prepare for a unnaturally tough Tech defense. The Homecoming crowd goes home happy...as do the true freshmen, Game Three of Four.

Cyclones go into Lawrence, and the biggest challenge is maintaining focus, and not being cocky. The Jayhawk grumble starts that Beaty is on the hot seat.

Back to Jack Trice for Baylor. Some folks think that the Bears may be a threat to some teams this season, and I agree. In Waco. The biggest threat in Ames is not looking ahead to Texas. Campbell has to decide whether this is Game Four for the freshmen or not.

Cyclones swing into Austin for what is a titanic battle of highly ranked teams...that the networks don’t get to squabble over. The Cyclone offense is slightly better than the Longhorn version, ISU triumphs on a late interception.

On a cold Turkey Day weekend, ISU fans celebrate the end of decades of frustration, as ISU rolls by an outmanned Wildcat squad. Some Cyclone fans filing out of Jack Trice are heard complaining about having to play OU again in the Big XII title game “because we already beat ‘em once!”

Oh, and there is much cursing going on in front of TV sets that they didn’t get season tickets this year!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry, but some of CPR's teams were known for quitting. Have you seen a CMC coached team lose by a score of 70-7 yet?

The 70-7 type of games was more of being that much worse at pretty much every position. That beat down by TCU in 2014 where ISU just didn't look like they even wanted to be there was bad though.

Point is CMC's only been here 2 seasons. 2 seasons after CPR that wouldn't have been the narrative either. So far the way things look, the culture has shifted but 18-22 year old kids aren't the most predictable thing to manage.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Longtime Cyclone fans are in shock when we roll over SDSU handily. True freshmen get substantial playing time, and most pencil this in as the first of their “Four”.

Hawk fans throw a fit when Matt Campbell beats Kirk Ferentz comfortably. Doesn’t matter how many other games Iowa wins this season, they’ll have fits about a Kinnick loss to ISU for the next decade or so.

The college football world is shocked when Iowa State beats Oklahoma for the second year in a row. By the end of the game, it’s clear who’s in command in Jack Trice. Sooner fans put plans for a Lincoln Riley statue on the back burner.

Akron is a welcome respite from the emotional rollercoaster of the past couple weeks. Still manages to be the freshmen’s Game Two of Four.

The first serious road trip, the Cyclones go into Fort Worth and pull off a win due partly to to the loss of Blacklock, partly to Horned Frog turnovers. Max Duggan licks his chops at the prospect of starting as a true freshman.

(Easton Dean sits in front of his TV content in the knowledge that he made an even better choice)

The Cyclones go into Stillwater ranked well into the Top Ten and on a swell of emotion. The dizzying heights prove too much. The Cowboys get their revenge for 2011.

West Virginia comes to (MidAmerican Field at) Jack Trice the next week. Will Grier & Co are the real deal, but the Cyclones have a complete team, are playing at home...and are really, really ticked off.

ISU gets a bye week before Homecoming against Texas Tech. Who needs a bye week to prepare for Te—Er, I mean, ISU gets an extra week to prepare for a unnaturally tough Tech defense. The Homecoming crowd goes home happy...as do the true freshmen, Game Three of Four.

Cyclones go into Lawrence, and the biggest challenge is maintaining focus, and not being cocky. The Jayhawk grumble starts that Beaty is on the hot seat.

Back to Jack Trice for Baylor. Some folks think that the Bears may be a threat to some teams this season, and I agree. In Waco. The biggest threat in Ames is not looking ahead to Texas. Campbell has to decide whether this is Game Four for the freshmen or not.

Cyclones swing into Austin for what is a titanic battle of highly ranked teams...that the networks don’t get to squabble over. The Cyclone offense is slightly better than the Longhorn version, ISU triumphs on a late interception.

On a cold Turkey Day weekend, ISU fans celebrate the end of decades of frustration, as ISU rolls by an outmanned Wildcat squad. Some Cyclone fans filing out of Jack Trice are heard complaining about having to play OU again in the Big XII title game “because we already beat ‘em once!”

Oh, and there is much cursing going on in front of TV sets that they didn’t get season tickets this year!
I finally see someone with an outlook similar to mine. There is no reason anyone should be assuming we start 1-2, or 2-1 with a blowout loss to OU. Riley is an offensive coach and the D sucked last year. Let's see how they make improvements.

Only difference is I see Ok St as a win, given how the last two games went. Texas and TCU will be tough, but no game is scary, IMO.

My bold prediction is ISU loses only once all season and finishes 5th in the college football play off.

Reactions: Aclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I finally see someone with an outlook similar to mine. There is no reason anyone should be assuming we start 1-2, or 2-1 with a blowout loss to OU. Riley is an offensive coach and the D sucked last year. Let's see how they make improvements.

Only difference is I see Ok St as a win, given how the last two games went. Texas and TCU will be tough, but no game is scary, IMO.

My bold prediction is ISU loses only once all season and finishes 5th in the college football play off.

Gonna be a fun season from here on out. Can't wait!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not feeling the love.

coolaidman-newthumb.png

Reactions: CloneLawman

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Gonna be a fun season from here on out. Can't wait!
I had them pegged for 2-0 and while I didn't want to think it made a difference, I think the lack of game experience cost ISU against IA.
Guess they will just have to shock the world again Saturday and use that as momentum going forward.