What's wrong with Iowans?

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I picture this as the kind of stuff statistics majors joke about when they get together. :smile:
Hey now! Not true at all. We make jokes about homoscedasticity, multicollinearity, and those usurper econometricians!

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
It amazes me how folks go out of their way to rip this state. Why?

We are actually becoming one of the most progressive. Does that scare?

I think it is mostly just the stigma that most people outside the state associate with it. They are assume Iowa is flat and boring, everyone lives on a farm, there is nothing aesthetically or culturally interesting, and people in general are inbred hicks. As is typical, most people won't take the effort/go out of their comfort zone to look past their predispositions. Of course, people everywhere also make generalities about everyone else. Just the way it is.

richey24

Jul 16, 2009
Ames
These aren't real! Look near the bottom for the question "Should Congress pass a resolution honoring Michael Jackson as a Humanitarian?"

The overall results are 86% Yes, 14% No.

But the graph shows Iowa as the only state with a overall "yes" vote??????

Either every iowan voted multiple times and nobody from other states voted at all. Or, the poll is no legit.
They include the Global results also.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think it is mostly just the stigma that most people outside the state associate with it. They are assume Iowa is flat and boring, everyone lives on a farm, there is nothing aesthetically or culturally interesting, and people in general are inbred hicks. As is typical, most people won't take the effort/go out of their comfort zone to look past their predispositions. Of course, people everywhere also make generalities about everyone else. Just the way it is.

Yeah but Nebraskans really are morons. ;)

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The really funny part of this is that the people who are ripping on Iowa because they believe it is real just look stupid for not getting that it is bogus data skewed by a small faction.