What's streaming that's good TV/movies

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Thought I'd bump this thread to share an excellent series I watched over the weekend, When They See Us. This is a brought-to-life documentary about five teenagers (ages 14-16) who were accused of the brutal beating and rape of a young woman in Central Park in 1989.

It is extremely well-made, with uniformly excellent performances and very steady direction from Ava DuVernay. I highly recommend it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been looked at renting streams for some movies.

Jumanji: Next level. Recommend. Actors playing an avatar playing another actor was really well done. Good light level fun.

Midway (2019): Awful. Just a brutal adaptation. Even the dated 1976 movie is better.

1917: I know it got raves for it's pseudo "one take" but I couldn't get past the trailer. Seemed absurd, like ten tons of Private Ryan but WWI and compressed into something that was supposed to be just hours. Don't think I could suspend disbelief enough to watch. I save my disbelief suspension for fantasy and sci-fi, not war movies. :oops: I'll catch it at some point, maybe when it hits FXX someday.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just finished ZeroZeroZero on Prime and it was excellent. Tracks a cocaine shipment from Mexico to Italy from 3 perspectives - the Mexican cartel, the shipping brokers, and the Italian mob trying to receive it. Great show.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Heard this show was worth checking out but I just didn't think it looked that good. If you've been sleeping on it like I did and are looking for something raunchy and hilarious, watch it asap.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and cyguy9320

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm currently on record-setting pace of completing "The Ranch," just started two days ago and am through Part 4.

I love the show - not sure if anyone else has watched it.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
If you have Hulu, futureman is a decent watch. I think you can pay to watch it on amazon too. I started watching it a few years ago. Season 1 was real good. Season two fell off, so I stopped watching. Someone started a futureman thread a few weeks ago and shared that they visit Iowa state University in season 3 so I finished the series. (3 seasons). Happy I did, season 3 was better than 2.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I just finished Patriot on Amazon Prime. Strange but compelling. I couldn't stop watching.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm currently on record-setting pace of completing "The Ranch," just started two days ago and am through Part 4.

I love the show - not sure if anyone else has watched it.
Kutchers accent was too much for me

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I just finished ZeroZeroZero on Prime and it was excellent. Tracks a cocaine shipment from Mexico to Italy from 3 perspectives - the Mexican cartel, the shipping brokers, and the Italian mob trying to receive it. Great show.

I don't know why, but any show that has a drug running theme isn't interesting to me

I hear Breaking Bad is great. Never saw Scarface.... Ozark on Netflix...

For whatever reason I will never watch those shows. No idea why it's an automatic pass

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I’m watching “The Last Kingdom” on Netflix. I’m halfway through season 4. It has kept my interest.

Going to watch the latest “Ozark” with the family once my daughter is done with finals.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My wife and I recently purchased HBO max so we could rewatch game of thrones. However, I also saw a documentary called McMillions, which is about the McDonalds monopoly game in the 90's. Apparently a total scam, and I did not know that considering I was child/teenager at that time, so this news escaped me. Definitely worth a watch.

My wife and I also want to watch the Gunpowder Plot on HBO as well, which stars Kit Harrington, who plays a character in which he is related to in his ancestry.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
My wife and I recently purchased HBO max so we could rewatch game of thrones. However, I also saw a documentary called McMillions, which is about the McDonalds monopoly game in the 90's. Apparently a total scam, and I did not know that considering I was child/teenager at that time, so this news escaped me. Definitely worth a watch.

My wife and I also want to watch the Gunpowder Plot on HBO as well, which stars Kit Harrington, who plays a character in which he is related to in his ancestry.

McMillions was really interesting. I remember the game well but I don't remember any of that happening. I found it interesting that it took them as long to put the pieces together as they did. In today's socially driven world, it would have taken a teenager an hour on Facebook to solve it.

The Legend of Cocaine Island on Netflix has some similarities. Generally decent people see an opportunity to make some money where "no one gets hurt". The guys running the McMillions scheme were obviously scoundrels, but the other people who got involved were probably mostly decent people who made a poor decision.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Here is a list of shows I sent to a friend last week. I really enjoyed everything on this list.

Netflix

The Pharmacist - talks about the opioid crisis from the perspective of one person who wanted to do something about it. I don't know if the guy is insane or brilliant, maybe both. Lots of audio/video from when he was doing things which makes it extra compelling.

Waco - the bungling of the Branch Davidian situation by the ATF/FBI. Derived from a couple of books including one person who was actually in the compound and got out. It's definitely slanted in favor of Koresh, but brings back the question I had 25 years ago - why in the hell did the government even go after these people?

Unabomber (In His Own Words) - merges an actual interview with Kaczynski along with the timeline of all the attacks.

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States - really informative and tries to give a neutral view of the last 80 years of history, starting with WWII. It fails on the "neutral" part but it is definitely told from a different point of view than we were taught in school. If you're feeling super patriotic it may make you angry.

The Legend of Cocaine Island - I'm not sure I believe this one, it's a ripping good yarn if true.

Operation Odessa - A Russian mobster, the Columbia Cartel, Miami in the early 90s, and some generally charming people. What could go wrong? One of those "seriously, how in the **** did we end up in this situation?" shows. Lots of "this is a terrible idea, but **** it, let's see what happens" moments in here. Only an hour and change long.

Evil Genius - this one has been on there for awhile. I also don't remember this happening.

HBO

McMillions - I'm guessing you've already seen this - the McDonalds Monopoly game scandal. Fascinating, and I while I definitely remember the game, I don't remember any of this happening.

War Dogs - a Hollywood pic, I believe. Two young guys decide they're going to take advantage of a new government program that allows just about any subcontractor to bid on military projects. They sign up for more than they can chew, hijinks ensue. The wife of the main character is not normally my type, but I'm flush just thinking about her.

American Animals - another heist! The title is a bit misleading in that the main characters aren't someone you would think of as "animals" until you watch the story. I had heard the story before but never in a movie type way. Four young guys come up with a plan that most people in their 20s would consider, but then after a bender most people would also say "ok, that's stupid, let's not talk about this any more". These guys must have skipped the bender part. I wouldn't call it a documentary as there's plenty of Hollywood in it, but it is probably mostly true to form.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Almost wrapped up Good Omens on Amazon. Off beat British angel and demons apocalypse thingie. The narration intros have a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the way old Brit TV take, not the movie) feel to it. Likey.

Hanna Season 2 is coming up early July. Will be giving that a looky. Was trying to figure out where I saw the actress playing War in Good Omens. And,yup, the evil govt gal in Hanna Season 1.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Old Guard with Charlize Theron is streaming on Netflix now. Not a bad action movie. It's no Atomic Blonde but entertaining even if there seemed to be a few "haven't I seen this before" moments but you can probably say that about most movies in this genre.

And, Charlize Theron so worth a look. ;)

Reactions: SpokaneCY