What would you have done differently if you were coach?

to2extreme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 9, 2008
If you were the coach what would you have done differently?

I don't see much if anything that I would change. They have been getting open looks! They just aren't putting them through the hoop.

There are times where they force the issue, but every team has stretches where that happens and when that does happen Greg takes action to correct it. And if everybody thinks CB is a NBA player then he should be able to force the issue a bit and be successful.(he did it last year)

And it isn't lack of repetition; they are putting in the extra time in the gym(from interview comments)

From where I stand it seems that Greg has a good plan in place.... just need the players to execute.

Reactions: coachdags

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I would have been more aggresive at recruiting good point guards, meaning i would have kept recruiting for one until i found the right one.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
If you were the coach what would you have done differently?

I don't see much if anything that I would change. They have been getting open looks! They just aren't putting them through the hoop.

There are times where they force the issue, but every team has stretches where that happens and when that does happen Greg takes action to correct it. And if everybody thinks CB is a NBA player then he should be able to force the issue a bit and be successful.(he did it last year)

And it isn't lack of repetition; they are putting in the extra time in the gym(from interview comments)

From where I stand it seems that Greg has a good plan in place.... just need the players to execute.

Recruit better...but he didn't do that.

So his plan is not in place.

to2extreme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 9, 2008
Recruit better...but he didn't do that.

So his plan is not in place.

I would disagree, before this year started everybody was raving about how good the recruits were.

Every team has busts, but who(of the players still on the team) has been a real letdown? Not taking all blame from Greg on players leaving, but you can't give 100% on him for them taking off.

But other than that, everybody is performing as advertised.

Toasted40

Feb 23, 2010
Greg is a good guy, and he knows his basketball.

I think that there three big things that he did wrong.

First he didn't do a good job re recruiting the players that were in place when he started. I think that he thought he didn't need to.

Second, I think that he underestimated what was needed to coach in a big 6 conference. The type of player needed, and how to run a program at this level.

The third thing could have overcome the first two, but he did not do it. Establish an identity for the program, whatever it is, and stick to it, Recruit to that identity, Coach to that identity. Every day, and everything, should be aimed at building and shaping the program to fit that identity.

When I was told that the plan for this year was to "let the other team do what they want, and then take it away from them." I had the same sinking feeling that I had the day that Jim Walden anounced to the state that we were switching to the triple option.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Greg is a good guy, and he knows his basketball.

I think that there three big things that he did wrong.

First he didn't do a good job re recruiting the players that were in place when he started. I think that he thought he didn't need to.

Second, I think that he underestimated what was needed to coach in a big 6 conference. The type of player needed, and how to run a program at this level.

The third thing could have overcome the first two, but he did not do it. Establish an identity for the program, whatever it is, and stick to it, Recruit to that identity, Coach to that identity. Every day, and everything, should be aimed at building and shaping the program to fit that identity.

When I was told that the plan for this year was to "let the other team do what they want, and then take it away from them." I had the same sinking feeling that I had the day that Jim Walden anounced to the state that we were switching to the triple option.

+1

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
recruit smart players. by that i mean heady ball players. it seems they are missing that.
The type of kid I would recruit would be:
-coachable
-smart
-can play defense
-that takes care of the ball
-guards that can shoot the trey
Get guys together that like (and show) a team first mentality. Create that team chemistry.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
recruit smart players. by that i mean heady ball players. it seems they are missing that.
The type of kid I would recruit would be:
-coachable
-smart
-can play defense
-that takes care of the ball
-guards that can shoot the trey
Get guys together that like (and show) a team first mentality. Create that team chemistry.

Like UNI players?