What would you do if you were Rhoads?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Coach Rhoads has a choice to make. If he keeps the offense that ISU ran the last two seasons in tact and adds to it there is a possibility of getting to a bowl game with a six win season.

If he brings in a complete change to a spread, there is one year of learning a new system, as we saw with the MN Gophers, and a possible 1-2 win season.

What would you do? I would go with the current offense as a base, and add more looks into it. I believe with the state of the program, this is a time to get every W we can possibly get in the shortest time we can get them.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I know what you mean, but cant the coaches drop them off a playbook to the players so they can study it and have all spring and summer to work out the kinks. I doubt we'll run anything a whole lot different than what we have done recently.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Just make your playbook smaller the first season and perfect the few plays you have, as much as you can. You don't need a huge playbook to, you need to execute the plays you do have well.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Coach Rhoads has a choice to make. If he keeps the offense that ISU ran the last two seasons in tact and adds to it there is a possibility of getting to a bowl game with a six win season.

If he brings in a complete change to a spread, there is one year of learning a new system, as we saw with the MN Gophers, and a possible 1-2 win season.

What would you do? I would go with the current offense as a base, and add more looks into it. I believe with the state of the program, this is a time to get every W we can possibly get in the shortest time we can get them.

At first blush ketel, this makes a great deal of sense to me. I guess I would take a real long hard look at my talent, and decide if I can continue to run a spread or choose to go as simple as possible and still be creative. I think I would be inclined to run a three receiver set with a running back, and do this as best as I possibly could (and I don't mean dumbing down), I mean getting to good old fashioned basics football with creativity.
I know I am being somewhat nebulous because I can't speak football jargon but ................ does this make sense?

Go Cyclones. :yes:

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
That's a tough question. I guess the answer is you play with what you and your OC are comfortable with. If that means a complete change, then you do it now. If it means staying 100% with what we've been doing, great. The new staff can't be a game or two into the season and start worrying that they made a bad choice by sticking with a system they aren't comfortable with just hoping that it might lead to an extra win or two in year 1.

I imagine the process will be decided during interviews. Rhoads will hire the man he best feels can help ISU wins. If that coach runs a more pro-style offense, then we'll switch day one. In a perfect world, I think I'd like to see ISU maintain some of the read option looks and transfer a majority of the offense over to a more multiple look running attack. Big 12 defenses get pretty similar looks almost across the board anymore. I'd love it if ISU became a smash mouth, ball away from the other offenses, maybe even Georgia Tech style, offensive team.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
The only real way to keep the former offense is to keep the former offensive coordinator. No thanks.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
That's a tough question. I guess the answer is you play with what you and your OC are comfortable with. If that means a complete change, then you do it now. If it means staying 100% with what we've been doing, great. The new staff can't be a game or two into the season and start worrying that they made a bad choice by sticking with a system they aren't comfortable with just hoping that it might lead to an extra win or two in year 1.

I imagine the process will be decided during interviews. Rhoads will hire the man he best feels can help ISU wins. If that coach runs a more pro-style offense, then we'll switch day one. In a perfect world, I think I'd like to see ISU maintain some of the read option looks and transfer a majority of the offense over to a more multiple look running attack. Big 12 defenses get pretty similar looks almost across the board anymore. I'd love it if ISU became a smash mouth, ball away from the other offenses, maybe even Georgia Tech style, offensive team.

I think you are right in that this has been discussed. If you look at other programs, a major change in offenses takes time. We were in year two with Chizik, and the offense looked very good at times, but very bad at others. My point is, with a weak schedule next season, this is our window of opportunity to break through. A total change in offense may just throw that out the window. Answer, keep McFarland on staff in a lesser roll to work with new OC. Not sure that will happen. We will see.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If I were PR I would get settled into Ames and then hit up Hickory Park for some sweet BBQ, and a nice sundae to top it off.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think you are right in that this has been discussed. If you look at other programs, a major change in offenses takes time. We were in year two with Chizik, and the offense looked very good at times, but very bad at others. My point is, with a weak schedule next season, this is our window of opportunity to break through. A total change in offense may just throw that out the window. Answer, keep McFarland on staff in a lesser roll to work with new OC. Not sure that will happen. We will see.

Be like KU from year before?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Minnesota's problem last year was on the defensive side. Their improvement this year was due primarily to bringing in new recruits and changing the coordinator on defense.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Minnesota's problem last year was on the defensive side. Their improvement this year was due primarily to bringing in new recruits and changing the coordinator on defense.

hmmm.... that sounds earily familiar to a certain school....:wink:

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I don't see it as a problem. The offense will have no problem picking it up unless you hire Callahan and try all those shifts and motion that I loved watching Nebraska struggle with for 2 years before they cut a lot of that stuff out of their playbook. Mcfarland taught zone blocking principles which is common and Arnaud has had to learn 2 systems already, a third will be a breeze

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron