What would make you leave your job....

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
If its just money, you have major problems. The dollar is usually rated about 4th on the list of what motivates people about their jobs.
Iowa State and Ames offers CMC everything anyone would ever hope for in their job.
Plus few if any of us has the opportunity in our job to create a legacy, the kind insitutions name buildings for or erect statues..ie Bill Synder.
None of that would be possible at LSU or USC...other than more money he will never be able to spend.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Growth.... if I felt like I was never going to be able to compete against the top of the top where I was at if I were a incredibly driven and competitive person - that might make me entertain the idea.

If I thought that I could do that where I was already at... then I'd never leave.

But if my goals for competitiveness or a drive to constantly push myself, if I didn't think my vision was shared by the higher hopes and or I had reached the "ceiling" of what I could accomplish... at that point, the possibility of looking around would become a reality, even if I never left.

---------------------------

that's the one wild card I have no knowledge of. If Campbell feels like he has accomplished everything he can at Iowa State - that might be enough. I have no idea.

I certainly hope he does not feel that way. But those are two things that in theory could be a factor IMO

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A while back this big fat loudmouth and his pipsqueak son offered me $80k if I could haul 400 cases of Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta in 28 hours. I pulled it off and it paid out pretty good, those were 1970s dollars. If another deal like that came around, I'd probably quit the full-time gig and take the bet again.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think alot of those things the OP mentioned keep one staying in their 'comfortable' and even 'passionate about' job, but always in the back of my mind I would wonder if I could continue to be effective, keep things fresh, continue to generate the excitement. (Now, I hope CMC isn't thinking that. I want him to stay for a LONG time!).

Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If its just money, you have major problems. The dollar is usually rated about 4th on the list of what motivates people about their jobs.
Iowa State and Ames offers CMC everything anyone would ever hope for in their job.
Plus few if any of us has the opportunity in our job to create a legacy, the kind insitutions name buildings for or erect statues..ie Bill Synder.
None of that would be possible at LSU or USC...other than more money he will never be able to spend.

Sure. Jobs are about money. That's the point.
We keep throwing out this idea that our coaches will want statues built here and whatever, but so very few people actually care about that. It's money and opportunity to win at the highest levels. ISU doesn't really provide that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Reasons I have left jobs:

1st job - money, pay was **** compared to peers

2nd job - One way professional environment, meaning they expected you to work extra hours to get a job completed on time, but if you worked extra hours and then got the job done early you couldn't leave early or have a free day off. If I put in extra time and get the job done early I should get the extra time I put in back as free time off

3rd job - unreasonable hours, expected people to work 85+ hours for a month every quarter and then 60+ hours the rest of the time

Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just had a job offer this summer from a friend. A bit more money and some cool benefits, but a little more stress and more of a drive (40 minutes rather than 5), so I turned it down. I have a lot of loyalty to the owner of my company, so that was probably the deciding factor (other than that, probably a coin flip).

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Would u rather make 9 million at LSU or USC and get fired in 4 years because u go 7-5? Or would u rather make 3 million for 20 years, that would go up with the success and have a 3-9 year and not have to worry one bit about getting fired?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't mean this sarcastically at all, but I imagine CMC will leave when he doesn't think he can be the best version of himself here. But I suppose there's always that possibility that 8 million and 5-star recruits could alter that, but who knows.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have major problems if it's just money? If someone offers me 5 times the salary to take a similar or better position you bet your ass I'm leaving. Pretty bold to assume all of us make enough to not want more.
Couldn’t agree more with this. I’ve worked for 6 different hospital systems since the pandemic started. If your going to work your ass off and have people second guessing your expertise all the time might as well get paid as much as possible.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A while back this big fat loudmouth and his pipsqueak son offered me $80k if I could haul 400 cases of Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta in 28 hours. I pulled it off and it paid out pretty good, those were 1970s dollars. If another deal like that came around, I'd probably quit the full-time gig and take the bet again.

I thought that happened two more times after? Though the result was much more forgettable and felt more like a money grab than a legitimate bet.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Congratulations! Precisely why I left the midwest. 25k a year more, no state taxes or snow and my cost of living is actually slightly less.
Yeah the climate was a big factor I have pretty bad joint pain for someone my age and also pretty bad depression that is worsened by winter. I think the COL is a wash in that rent is more but almost everything else is less.

Reactions: agentbear

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Yeah the climate was a big factor I have pretty bad joint pain for someone my age and also pretty bad depression that is worsened by winter. I think the COL is a wash in that rent is more but almost everything else is less.
You don't think CMC would miss the property taxes in Iowa?

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored