What We Need To See Against Baylor

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This has me wondering: how many extra defenders would we have to have (or any team for that matter) to get Baylor to average a more reasonable offensive output? Say 30 points and 400 yards a game.

I believe two more hands on deck might slow them down.

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
6 wins to bowl game, 2 wins already, 6 games left. That is a mathematical chance at a total of 8 wins. Bowl game possible. Boom. Lawyered.

yeah...whoa...I got "lawyered". While you are "lawyering" try learning the difference between mathematical chance, probability, and odds. Some of us don't waste our time with nonsense. By the way what is the mathematical chance we win the rest of our games by 28pts each?

But hey...there is a mathematical chance. Discuss. (LOL)

Last edited:

clonefan1

Aug 7, 2006
We are 37pt underdogs...Baylor is likely going to hang 60+ pts on us - so what the heck...have some fun.

Rhoads, Mangino, and Burnham better pull all the stops and go for it.

Offensively:
1. Play Lanning at least 1/2 the snaps - not a predictable package and empower him to run/throw and make plays.
2. Go for every 4th down and 5 or less between the 35's - No huddle.
3. QB under center for every short yardage or goal line situation.
4. Razzle Dazzle - fake punts, onside kicks, trick plays -ALL 4 Quarters - at least 1 per series.
5. Lazard, LAZARD, and more LAZARD.
6. Get Warren some space - more options, sweeps etc...instead of trying to ram him into a brick wall.

Defensively:
1. Massive Blitzing and stunting
2. Get the darn DB's up on line on top of the receivers.

Lastly...Make adjustments in REAL TIME - In other words....COACH

I'm confident Baylor takes away our ability to do either one of these as I'm sure they've see game film of us doing both last week.

However, I'm fully on board with #2 since we don't have a kicker!

And I like the post....what do we have to lose besides another game??

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Lots and lots of this...

cornspeed.gif

IowaStateReverseWRPassTD.gif

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Corey Coleman says yes please! If we do that to him his stat line will be 10 catches for 500 yards and 10 td's and he will be the new Heisman leader.
He's on my college fantasy team so if we get destroyed, this is the way I want it to happen.

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
I think we should just come out and practice our gameplan for Texas next week. Work on our offensive schemes, get reps more reps for Lanning and other offensive players. Work on blocking schemes, running game.

Hopefully our defense will try and tackle someone?? Maybe have our DB's play within 5-7 yards of the receivers?

Overall, just use this week as a real time scrimmage since it obviously does NOTHING to benefit our team by playing against our 2's. Heck, it might keep the game somewhat respectable for a bit. Baylor will definitely not have prepared for this type of thing.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
One thing...don't let them hang a hundred on us.

ok, that was snarky. Just play like we did in the first quarter last week. For the whole game.

CydlineFan

Oct 25, 2014
Redesign our jerseys and helmets to reflect Baylor's away jerseys and hope like hell they confuse our players for theirs.

H8fkr

Aug 29, 2012
Send our scout team to Baylor to spare our starters from the humilation of losing to Baylor by 70, and confident for the Texas game.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Don't punt past our own 40 yard line. Ever.

Also, tackle all of their receivers at the line of scrimmage on each and every play. See how many penalty yards we can rack up. At least they don't count as offensive yards given up.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Corey Coleman says yes please! If we do that to him his stat line will be 10 catches for 500 yards and 10 td's and he will be the new Heisman leader.
Help me out because I honestly do not know. When Baylor has played other teams have they been getting jammed by DB's? I do not recall from when I have seen their games. I generally just see them strolling into the end zone.

What if we have Tribune lined up with COleman? Jam him hard at the line. Seems like Baylor runs a lot of timing stuff. Have a safety rolled to his side of the field. Bring some heat from our 3-4 scheme. Meaning sending 1 or 2 LB. THis leaves us with 6 in coverage. Obviously don't do this on every down, just something to try and mess with their timing. Seems like with the way their QB and WR's work if we give cushion they are going to complete 75%-80% of passes on us for 10-20 yard gains most of the night anyway. Plus we got beat 71-7 last time there so I do not think it can get worse.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
You can call all the razzle dazzle plays you want, but if you can't execute them, it'll get ugly really quick. I mean REALLY quick.

Some of u guys are saying pound the rock and keep Baylor offense off the field. Running high risk plays is the exact opposite. Baylor has no reason to be overly aggressive. Trick plays work when the defense is too aggressive and out of position.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Don't punt past our own 40 yard line. Ever.

Also, tackle all of their receivers at the line of scrimmage on each and every play. See how many penalty yards we can rack up. At least they don't count as offensive yards given up.

Theoretically, they'd never score. Just 4 quarters of "Half the distance to the goal line". I like this idea.

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Run the ball. Run the ball some more. Run it right at Oakman and away from Billings. Leaving Oakman unblocked on the backside of a play allows him to do what he is best at, be an athletic freak. Make that guy work man on man to stop the run and that will slow him down on the pass rush.

Billings is like Tucker only better. Double team him on almost every play. Then after you've run it 5 or 6 times playaction and throw that thing deep.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron