What Wave?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Would you be upset if the opposing team actually got in team huddles at the end of the 1st quarter and worked on some adjustments to their game plan instead of waving?

I actually don't think you'd have an issue with that because you're one of the reasonable Iowa fans. You probably didn't boo Petras during pre-game player introductions either I'd guess.
No, I'd have zero problem if opposing teams didn't take part.

I didn't but I also wasn't there, I rarely go to live sporting events anymore because I'm not interested in being around drunk middle-aged adolescents and the way they behave at games, embarrassing. I do enjoy a good tailgate though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
At the Iowa game last year, we turned and waved for awhile. What seemed to be a generally longer than normal time of waving, my son quit. Some dude wanted to fight my son since my son felt a minute or two of waving was enough. It is an awkwardly long time, but if you don't wave the whole song, they can get mad at you. It's a nice thing, but they do get butthurt a lot about small things.

Yeah, I'm fascinated by this sort of thing. Like I just said there's the Curb episode where they nearly kill Larry because he doesn't do a "thank you for your service" after about 20 others have already done it. Then there was the 4-5 years where if our leaders didn't wear a flag pin 24/7 they were considered terrorists lol.

Safe assumption that everybody wants to help sick kids feel better if they have the slightest idea of what is going on.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah, I'm fascinated by this sort of thing. Like I just said there's the Curb episode where they nearly kill Larry because he doesn't do a "thank you for your service" after about 20 others have already done it. Then there was the 4-5 years where if our leaders didn't wear a flag pin 24/7 they were considered terrorists lol.

Safe assumption that everybody wants to help sick kids feel better if they have the slightest idea of what is going on.
Yep, brilliant show.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There've already been a few ISU fans in here surprised a member of the college football media didn't know about it. I don't think anyone is expecting other fanbases or team program media to "obsess" over it.

This just kind of comes off as fandom on the hunt for something to be p*ssed about.

I'm not p*ssed about it at all... I thought it was funny. He had no idea what the wave was when Iowa fans expect that everyone should know about it.

I do get p*ssed at what the U of I Hospital nurses and the people visiting others in the hospital have to go through on gamedays at Iowa though. I've spoken to plenty of them. They do not like game days when they have to park way far away so that tailgaters can park in the parkades, and then they have to walk through these tailgates and get all kinds of horrible things yelled at them from all the drunks on their way to work.

But they gotta make all that money from the tailgaters! Screw the nurses and the family members actually visiting those kids in the hospital, am I right?

• Winner
Reactions: DarkStar

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Wave is really cool. But it also seems like it was done for the publicity, not for the actual act. Kinda like a politician only doing good things when there’s a camera watching. Maybe that was a Bart’s thing and that kind of look at me mentality will change. But I guess we’ll see

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True Story: My last game @ Kinnick (2021 vs. Colo. State) I had a couple of fans in Hawkeye gear (I was wearing neutral blue) ask me when the fans wave to the kids? I just shrugged and said: "I think at the end of the first quarter, but I'm not sure, as they didn't do that the last time I was @ Kinnick (2001 vs. Michigan).

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
At the Iowa game last year, we turned and waved for awhile. What seemed to be a generally longer than normal time of waving, my son quit. Some dude wanted to fight my son since my son felt a minute or two of waving was enough. It is an awkwardly long time, but if you don't wave the whole song, they can get mad at you. It's a nice thing, but they do get butthurt a lot about small things.

It would be a lot cooler if they didn’t make families who are in the hospital leave leave the parking ramp so they can pack in the tailgaters. I will never believe Iowa or most Iowa fans cares about those kids other than getting Iowa some good publicity/on the news for something other than not paying their contractors.

Just to be clear, I am in no way saying this about the front line workers. Most are wonderful.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I hate the commercialization of the Wave as much as the next guy, and think it would have been way cooler if they just let it take off organically rather than shoving it down everyone's throats, but this weekends Kid Captain that comes out for the wave is the daughter of a girl I went to high school with. She has dealt with multiple health issues, most recently a brain tumor. Fortunately she is recovering well. I think its really cool that they bring a recovered/recovering patient down to wave from the field. It does make it more cool that a kid from the hospital who probably dreamed of getting on the field gets to do it, and hopefully make another kids day who is looking out of the window. Just the chance that they get to go onto the field gives them some hope and gives them another thing to fight for because they may be next.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can see this both ways:

1- its rather weird how they expect everyone to jump on with their thing. I seem to remember some of them wanting us to join in with it when it started. The wave is a nice moment for iowa, yes. But its your thing, not ours.

2- While the comments about someone in Utah never hearing about this are probably valid, i'd expect someone who is in sports media covering a team to be above average in the amount of sports watched. So from that standpoint i'd be surprised they hadnt heard of it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It would be a lot cooler if they didn’t make families who are in the hospital leave leave the parking ramp so they can pack in the tailgaters. I will never believe Iowa or most Iowa fans cares about those kids other than getting Iowa some good publicity/on the news for something other than not paying their contractors.

Just to be clear, I am in no way saying this about the front line workers. Most are wonderful.
This was totally an ordeal for our neighbors whose little girl died of kidney cancer eventually. You have enough to worry about besides parking and how freaking much it’s gonna cost too.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

1- its rather weird how they expect everyone to jump on with their thing. I seem to remember some of them wanting us to join in with it when it started. The wave is a nice moment for iowa, yes. But its your thing, not ours.

2- While the comments about someone in Utah never hearing about this are probably valid, i'd expect someone who is in sports media covering a team to be above average in the amount of sports watched. So from that standpoint i'd be surprised they hadnt heard of it.

Has Utah State ever played at Kinnick since the wave was established? I guess I can understand if this were a BigTen team, but why would a USU person know about something a BigTen team does?

Maybe a better question is why was this something that even was discussed when talking about the game?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Has Utah State ever played at Kinnick since the wave was established? I guess I can understand if this were a BigTen team, but why would a USU person know about something a BigTen team does?

Maybe a better question is why was this something that even was discussed when talking about the game?

It’s somebody who loves Kinnick stadium game days asking someone who likely knows nothing about Kinnick “isn’t this your life’s dream?”. All fans are guilty of this myopia but it can be cringe.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

On point #2, you would think that but then you’ve got people like Randy. I’ve heard him interviewed by sports talk people from places ISU is going to play at and the buffoon clearly has zero clue about who he’s even talking to. He makes Iowa State look awful.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Was this the Gym Class or Spencer on Sports? I'd like to listen to the replay. I would bet this guy was trolling.

As a media member going on a show in the opposing team's market, he should have been prepared in his iowa notes. 1- new QB at iowa, 2- have you read the Athletic article, iowa is going to win min 11 games, 3- don't forget to wave and if you want a t-shirt reminding you to wave, stop at any local Hy Vee.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Was this the Gym Class or Spencer on Sports? I'd like to listen to the replay. I would bet this guy was trolling.

As a media member going on a show in the opposing team's market, he should have been prepared in his iowa notes. 1- new QB at iowa, 2- have you read the Athletic article, iowa is going to win min 11 games, 3- don't forget to wave and if you want a t-shirt reminding you to wave, stop at any local Hy Vee.

So if CW does an interview with the Eastern Illinois broadcast team to prepare for the basketball game in December, should we be outraged if they give a confused look when he brings up the Juicy Wiggle?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So if CW does an interview with the Eastern Illinois broadcast team to prepare for the basketball game in December, should we be outraged if they give a confused look when he brings up the Juicy Wiggle?
Not at all. And I really don't care if the Utah St guy didn't know about the wave

Reactions: carvers4math

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I've said it a million times. The Wave is a great tradition that started pretty organically actually and I think that's awesome.

Dotting the "i" at Ohio State is a great tradition too, but again it's not like I have some sort of emotional response to either one.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If I'm the opposing coaching staff I probably want to take that time to interact with my players. I'm sure this is a very cool thing for the kids and I am genuinely happy for them. That said, 30 seconds or so is plenty for me.