What was it with McCarney and kickers?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, I just got done reading WRNL's Top 25 worst football losses (which I will link below), and 9 of them were caused either directly or indirectly by our kicking game failures. Of those 9 games, 7 of them were lost during Dan McCarney's tenure.

I've written on this board before about my beleif that if we had a better kicker during DMac's time, he could still be coaching here (wins against Missouri in '04 and Kansas in '05 to get us to the Big 12 Championship game). But, my question now is why didn't we have better kickers during his time here? Did he not place value on recruiting BCS-level kickers? Did he recruit BCS-level kickers who all turned out to be busts? What was the issue?

I follow ISU basketball a bit more closely than I do ISU football, probably because I grew up when ISU football was at its worst point. I don't want this question to turn into either a McCarney rip-fest or a passionate defense of him. His time is done here, but reading about and remembering all those agonizing losses and seeing how many of them resulted from a horrible kicking game really has me wondering what the deal was.

http://widerightnattylight.com/category/isu-football/

Last edited:

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
So, I just got done reading WRNL's Top 25 worst football losses (which I will link below), and 9 of them were caused either directly or indirectly by our kicking game failures. Of those 9 games, 7 of them were lost during Dan McCarney's tenure.

I've written on this board before about my beleif that if we had a better kicker during DMac's time, he could still be coaching here (wins against Missouri in '04 and Kansas in '05 to get us to the Big 12 Championship game). But, my question now is why didn't we have better kickers during his time here? Did he not place value on recruiting BCS-level kickers? Did he recruit BCS-level kickers who all turned out to be busts? What was the issue?

I follow ISU basketball a bit more closely than I do ISU football, probably because I grew up when ISU football was at its worst point. I don't want this question to turn into either a McCarney rip-fest or a passionate defense of him. His time is done here, but reading about and remembering all those agonizing losses and seeing how many of them resulted from a horrible kicking game really has me wondering what the deal was.

ISU Football Wide Right & Natty Light

What a lot of people don't remember is that Culbertson SAVED our seasons from the other ATROCIOUS kickers we had at the beginning of '04. BC had an issue with the high pressure kicks, but he was remarkably consistent throughout the year. Without BC's kicking, there's a good chance that we don't make bowl games either of those years.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Most of the games that were lost on missed FGs could have been avoided by a variety of other means. Usually, poor coaching decisions/play calling in the clutch set us up for failure.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
i had a couple players tell me that Dan Mac would rather have a 4th string TE that will never play on scholly than a kicker. When asked why, they would just shrug their shoulders and say, "no idea"
You could tell they weren't real happy about it either.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
It was a Hayden Fry concept that is widely accepted (see the Fry disciples for more examples). Never give a kicker a scholarship the first year on campus.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
It was a Hayden Fry concept that is widely accepted (see the Fry disciples for more examples). Never give a kicker a scholarship the first year on campus.

i know this is true, but do i even want to imagine what would have happened if they would have offered Nate Kaeding or the kid that ended up at Miami (both out of Ankeny I believe)

Reactions: CycoCyclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Those were earlier, it seemed in his later years he went away from this.

The second poster said that Mac did not have a scholarship kicker for most (that means over 50%) of his time at ISU. I am disputing that. Also, towards the end of his time at ISU he had a couple scholarship kickers that never panned out and were beat out by walk-ons.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
i know this is true, but do i even want to imagine what would have happened if they would have offered Nate Kaeding or the kid that ended up at Miami (both out of Ankeny I believe)

Sievers from Ankeny would have never chosen ISU over Miami, and no one in their right mind would either.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
Those were earlier, it seemed in his later years he went away from this.

If i recall Tony Yelk was there in his later years. BTW Tony Yelk didnt deserve to be on scholly, that guy was horrible. Just because you give a kicker a scholly doesnt mean he was deserving of one. Dmac should have invested a little more into the development of his kickers. The way they kicked I wonder if the kickers ever had any coaching?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Carl Gomez, Jamie Kohl, and Tony Yelk all were scholarship kickers

Gomez was a punter that was converted to a kicker, so I don't think that counts.

Scholarship or non-scholarship the ISU kicking game for the last 15 years has either been pretty good or pretty bad. It never seems to be just okay. I know that there have been several kickers on the team that looked promising when recruited and then never did a thing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The second poster said that Mac did not have a scholarship kicker for most (that means over 50%) of his time at ISU. I am disputing that. Also, towards the end of his time at ISU he had a couple scholarship kickers that never panned out and were beat out by walk-ons.

No I didn't. I said he was adverse to offering scholarships to kickers. That is, he was tightfisted with the kicking scholarships. How many kickers received scholarships right out of high school? How many did he offer at one time?

I think you read way too much into my post. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
QFT

I've always wondered, "what if"

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
i had a couple players tell me that Dan Mac would rather have a 4th string TE that will never play on scholly than a kicker. When asked why, they would just shrug their shoulders and say, "no idea"
You could tell they weren't real happy about it either.

That's astonishing to me, it really is, and I would say that attitude is symptomatic of DMac's biggest problem as a coach; his stubbornness and failure to learn from his mistakes. After Shaggy botched what was basically a glorified PAT against Missouri he should have gone out and gotten a kicker ASAP.

Help Support Us

Become a patron