What the hell is Bowlsby thinking?!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The SEC should get 3 or 4 teams some years if they expand to 12 just like it should get 2 or maybe even 3 if it’s 8. It’s the best conference and now also the largest.

At 12 teams if we get one every year and two lots of years that’s good. I think at 12 we get 2 teams more often than one. At 8 with just two at large we’d rarely get two and likely rarely deserve two. The AQ matters above all.

Yes the SEC is currently the best conference. But they got there because they didn't give a **** about recruiting rules and they brought in the loudest hype man in ESPN. If the playoffs expand to 12, that hype machine is going to get everyone expecting 4+ SEC teams every year. The only otger at large will be ND.

So by giving them 1/3 of the CFP money now only increases their advantage and there is no chance to return to parity with the other conferences. Why should the other conferences sign up for that?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If Bowlsby wasn't doing what the people calling the shots wanted he'd be out of a job. Like it or not he's got his marching orders and if the Presidents and Chancellors say X is best for the Big 12 he's going to do X or he's going to find a new employer.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Now Bowlsby is saying that the early signing period (something that is beneficial to all remaining Big 12 teams and the incoming teams) is bad for college football and it needs to be moved back. He claims that this caused all the coaching mayhem this fall.

Bowlsby's incompetence knows no boundaries...

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Bowlsby is right, 12 is dumb, 8 is perfect. 5 conference Champs and 3 at-large bids.

Nobody in the 8-12 range will have a shot at a national title anyways.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
The SEC being the “best conference” is a myth. Look at Georgia. Played one good team all year and got smoked. The SEC is all hype.
Uh, Ole Miss is 10-2.
Clemson went 9-3.
Arkansas won 8 games, beat A&M, lost to Alabama by 7,

Is the SEC over-rated? yes. But the idea that Georgia played one good team. No.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In general I'm okay with expansion but the issue is - what team ranked 5 thru 8 would not get crushed this year? Okie State and Baylor? Maybe but they also have enough flaws that they might get steam rolled. Ohio State? Proven to be skilled but soft by both Oregon and Michigan. Notre Dame who basically only played Cincinnati and lost? I mean, who was their big win.... Wisconsin?

I"d rather it go to 8 instead of 12. Expansion IS going to happen and overall its likely a good thing. But there is generally a big gap between the 4 best teams and the 5-8 teams this year. So I kinda get what he's saying even though I do think that expansion is going to help the Big 12 in the long run stay viable, I think we also need to acknowledge that there is some years a pretty big gap between the top 4 and everyone else.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Beating a dead horse, but obviously SEC wants 12, so they can get 4 and some years 5 into the Playoff. (25% of their new conf.) Massive $ at stake. OU/UT almost certainly joined based on that assumption. This arrangement would give the top tier brands (Florida/UGA/Bama/A&M/LSU/OU/UT) consistent shots at the playoff even with 2/3 conf losses. Sankey was backroom dealing while goading Bowlsby to support a 12 team system. I think that A&M leak was unintentionally helpful, otherwise things would have been swift with no leverage or reaction ability.........

Bowlsby's statement is a posturing stance with the "alliance". He's not an idiot. I actually think he's done a good job managing this, considering the circumstances. The "Alliance" sees a great power shift and slimy $ grab by the SEC. While Sankey's is chest puffing about being fine with status quote; ie. getting two in the current playoff, he knows that is bad business long-term for the new SEC. Time is not on his side. The threat of remaining at 4 teams (Max 2 SEC in best years, 2/16 of new conference at best) is a real issue for Sankey. The "blue bloods" having an even worse chance at the playoff than now would create constant instability and chaos in the SEC. (this absolutely stupid cycle of guaranting coaches ridiculous contracts and then buying them out after two years of not making the playoff)

The stand-off could either force an early payout to Big12, pre-empt the next round of TV talks, or otherwise kick-start another great reshuffling (which has been hinted at vaguely from various "insiders"). For the Big 12, the massive peg-knocking in TV contracts is the real issue. Especially relative to the SEC and B1G.

Going to 8, with an AQ for Big 12 would be best for ISU program IMO. Guarantee an annual spot (New B12 on relative level playing field increases likelyhood of ISU getting in) The competitve balance and program quality in the new Big12 is also better than the Pac and ACC. Hopefully TV consortium values that.

I haven't seen clarity on this, but would love to understand the actual "voting" procedure for expansion amongst the playoff board. Ie. Does each P5 conference get 1 vote and the G5 collectively gets 1 vote, or some other way?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Our goal right now is not keeping up with the SEC or Big ten, the big XIIs goal is to not lose ground with the PAC and ACC. Right now we are a small step infront of them I feel, no worse than equal. If we can manage to come out of this shakeup and TV contracts in similar position we have a chance to grab the number three conference claim. Something that will be big.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The early signing period should be looked at. Having coaches get fired in October isn't great for the sport. Just because schools want to give new coach a chance to salvage a Dec. recruiting class.

The article I saw talked about moving early signing date back to after Ntnl Championship game. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

I tend to think signing dates are antiquated. Let kids sign whenever they want after June 1 of their junior year. Create a couple restrictions/player outs:
- Kids can't sign LOI until 72 after visit. So coaches can't pressure kid to sign on visit.
- Let kids break LOI if Head Coach or player's Position Coach leaves.

The early signing period has been vital for schools like Iowa State. trust me, you don't want to see that date pushed back any later. The LOI is meaningless after a coach leaves, it's not like these kids are handcuffed to their decision.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So you're relying on the guy who said he wasn't losing any sleep over conference reorganization less than a week before Texas and Oklahoma left.. Sounds like a great plan. --facepalm--

What did you want Bowlsby to do? He was completely blind sided by the OU Texas move just like 99.9% of America was. Sh!t on Bob all you want but he's actually done a really good job salvaging the Big 12 and that goes back to the Beebe dumpster fire. I can guarantee you that Bob is speaking for all of the AD's, he's not just throwing sh!t at the wall here.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I frame everything through a "what's best for the B12" lens. The early signing period was to avoid later poaching. We are more likely to be poached than stronger teams. I think the early signing period is good for B12 teams.

So what's better for the Big12? An 8 team CFP with AQ for the A5? Or a good partnership and big money TV contract with the guys who will promote or denigrate your league?

If Big12 votes for the 8 team playoff, and it generates further ire from ESECPN which continues its campaign to turn the Big12 into a G5 conference... is that in the best interest of the Big12 long term?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yes the SEC is currently the best conference. But they got there because they didn't give a **** about recruiting rules and they brought in the loudest hype man in ESPN. If the playoffs expand to 12, that hype machine is going to get everyone expecting 4+ SEC teams every year. The only otger at large will be ND.

So by giving them 1/3 of the CFP money now only increases their advantage and there is no chance to return to parity with the other conferences. Why should the other conferences sign up for that?

I’d prefer 8 because we’ve had several 5th and 6th ranked teams with eventual claims to 1 or 2.

Im saying if it does go to 12, it’s natural a gigantic 16 team SEC would typically get 3 teams in or even 4.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What did you want Bowlsby to do? He was completely blind sided by the OU Texas move just like 99.9% of America was. Sh!t on Bob all you want but he's actually done a really good job salvaging the Big 12 and that goes back to the Beebe dumpster fire. I can guarantee you that Bob is speaking for all of the AD's, he's not just throwing sh!t at the wall here.
Actually Neinas is the one who saved us. Bob has been crap up to this, but I will say he finally has stepped up to the plate since the OuT situation had happened. Up til then he was on his knees to them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
AQ's are a terrible idea for an 8 team format. Hell this year you would have two bids going to #11 Utah and #12 Pitt. Not to mention more years than not ND is going to lock up one of the at large bids. If the goal is the 8 best teams than AQ's aren't the answer.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
AQ's are a terrible idea for an 8 team format. Hell this year you would have two bids going to #11 Utah and #12 Pitt. Not to mention more years than not ND is going to lock up one of the at large bids. If the goal is the 8 best teams than AQ's aren't the answer.
Sometimes you are unsure who exactly the top 8 are. Maybe Utah would make the finals and their competition held them back. I think the big XII may have had none in the final 8 and the big ten had 3 or 4. I think sending each conference champ is right.

Reactions: jctisu

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
The SEC being the “best conference” is a myth. Look at Georgia. Played one good team all year and got smoked. The SEC is all hype.

Winner they play the least amount of conference games and they purposefully schedule the bottom feeders to play the "blue bloods" of the conference. Also, given the entire conference plays one less conference game than the rest of the college football just inflates the conference as a whole.

Look at 2020 when the SEC played more conference games (due to Covid). They are no better and any other conference.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

I don't think determining the 8 best teams by asking AP voters or some random committee is the best way either. Done this way, whatever a team accomplishes on the field (such as actually winning a conference title) is meaningless and all that matters in determining the "best" teams is which conference you play in.

Reactions: jctisu and BCClone

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

SEC would not get 1/3 of the CFP money with 4 out of 12. The computation is not all based on how many teams you get in the playoffs. While participants in the playoffs get $6 million +expenses, with the current contract, it will go up with the new one, but the bigger increase will be in the money that goes to the Power 5 conferences, equally, and a smaller pool of money for the G5 conferences.

Everyone needs to relax. There is too much money not to expand the playoffs. Bowlsby, more than anyone else understands what the SEC is trying to do and the negotiations are far from over. My guess is that we will soon see the SEC say they will not participate in the playoffs and they will start a 4-6 team SEC year-end playoff and have a big contract with ESPN and force the other conferences with running another playoff to compete with the SEC tournament. If the 12 team plan that allows 4-5 SEC teams fails, this SEC tournament is the only way the SEC commissioner can deliver what he promised OU TX and the rest of the SEC. That is the issue that has to get solved.

We may end up with the SEC as separate conference from all the others with a professional model where it is basically pay to play. The rest of the conferences start their own organization the put in rules for NIL and other athletic comp issues. The SEC would share the airwaves in the southeast with the ACC, and the rest of the country would pay little attention to the SEC. If we are going to blow up the college football model, let's make sure we have something we want to watch.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
SEC would not get 1/3 of the CFP money with 4 out of 12. The computation is not all based on how many teams you get in the playoffs. While participants in the playoffs get $6 million +expenses, with the current contract, it will go up with the new one, but the bigger increase will be in the money that goes to the Power 5 conferences, equally, and a smaller pool of money for the G5 conferences.

Everyone needs to relax. There is too much money not to expand the playoffs. Bowlsby, more than anyone else understands what the SEC is trying to do and the negotiations are far from over. My guess is that we will soon see the SEC say they will not participate in the playoffs and they will start a 4-6 team SEC year-end playoff and have a big contract with ESPN and force the other conferences with running another playoff to compete with the SEC tournament. If the 12 team plan that allows 4-5 SEC teams fails, this SEC tournament is the only way the SEC commissioner can deliver what he promised OU TX and the rest of the SEC. That is the issue that has to get solved.

We may end up with the SEC as separate conference from all the others with a professional model where it is basically pay to play. The rest of the conferences start their own organization the put in rules for NIL and other athletic comp issues. The SEC would share the airwaves in the southeast with the ACC, and the rest of the country would pay little attention to the SEC. If we are going to blow up the college football model, let's make sure we have something we want to watch.
It had been mentioned that the new playoffs was going to get divided by which teams made the playoffs and not as equally as current.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron