What movies have the greatest casts?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Clooney is outstandingly hilarious. Tim Blake Nelson serves a great gopher. John Turturro is insanely good (and I generally can't stand him...DO...NOT...SEEK...THE...TREASURE), John Goodman as the Bible-thumpin' Cyclops, Charles Durning as the Guvnah of the Great State of Mississippi, Pappy O'Daniel, Daniel Cooley as the hell-fire sheriff, Ray McKinnon as the bona fide suitor, Stephen Root as the blind radio station DJ, and everyone else, just perfection. And don't get me started on the Sirens. Yowza.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The TV series Freaks and Geeks was an incredible cast on and off screen before they were big names. Pretty amazing short lived show too. Even some little details like Biff Tannen as a PE teacher who dates a kid’s mom.

Not a great or even good show but Dawson’s Creek also had some surprisingly talented actors for a teen drama.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@demoncore1031 beat me to The Godfather.

@cycloner29 beat me to Midway. That is not a great film or even a great WWII film compared to some others, but it has a stacked cast. I made an edit of it when I was a kid by flipping record "on" and "off" on a VHS to eliminate the subplot about the girlfriend and leave it just on the main military storyline.

1,000x better. Though you did forget Toshirô Mifune as Admiral Yamamoto.

A few others of my own to add...

Dune (Part 1 and Part 2)
---
Timothée Chalamet
Rebecca Ferguson
Zendaya Coleman
Oscar Isaac
Jason Momoa
Stellan Skarsgård
Josh Brolin
Javier Bardem
Sharon Duncan-Brewster
Dave Bautista
Charlotte Rampling
Florence Pugh
Austin Butler
Léa Seydoux
Christopher Walken

The Favourite
---
Olivia Coleman
Emma Stone
Rachel Weisz
Nicholas Hoult
Mark Gatiss
Joe Alwyn

You could do this for most Nolan films, but I will pick two without too much crossover...

Inception
---
Leonardo DiCaprio
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Elliot Page (as Ellen Page)
Ken Watanabe
Tom Hardy
Cillian Murphy
Tom Berenger
Marion Cotillard
Pete Postlethwaite
Michael Caine

Interstellar
---
Matthew McConaughey
Anne Hathaway
Jessica Chastain
Mackenzie Foy
Ellen Burstyn
John Lithgow
Timothée Chalamet
Bill Irwin
David Gyasi
Wes Bentley
Michael Caine
Casey Affleck
Topher Grace
Matt Damon

And one more all-time favorite of mine...

Lawrence of Arabia
---
Peter O'Toole
Alec Guinness
Anthony Quinn
Jack Hawkins
Omar Sharif
Claude Rains

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Horrible movies...horrible series. They should have stopped with Iron Man's first movie. The rest are just explosions and a predictable story line. It's a bunch of actors cashing in.

I adore the original Iron Man. I thought it was going to build on the more serious tone of the Nolan Batman films. I liked the serious, adult superhero tales films like The Dark Knight and Iron Man told us. Iron Man has some pretty serious things it says about the U.S. war in Afghanistan and the military-industrial complex. And Tony Stark was the perfect character to explore those consequential themes in the way that they did.

Obviously they went in another direction.

I'm like you... I can only take A-list actors there to cash a PHATTTTT check quipping stupid lines at each other and pretending to punch each other in the face in front of a green screen so seriously.

There are exceptions to that... I'll defend the fight choreography and cinematography in The Winter Solider and its themes about surveillance and intelligence agencies gone rogue. But that's about it.

Not that anybody watching really noticed them.

Reactions: Beernuts

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Would be interested to hear some opinons. Might turn this into a poll later on.

JFK..... Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Ed Asner, Joe Pesci, Tommy Lee Jones, John Candy, Kevin Bacon, Vincent D'Oronfino, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon, Brian Doyle-Murray, Michael Rooker, Donald Sutherland, etc.

The Outsiders..... Emilio Estevez, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, Diane Lane.

The Godfather..... Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, James Caan, Robert DuVall, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire.

The Firm..... Any movie that has Gary Busey and Wilford Brimley both, must be on this list. Also has Tom Cruise (not a fan), Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, Holly Hunter and Hal Holbrook.

Pulp Fiction...... John "Butt Smurf" Travolta, Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Uma Thurman, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames, Eric Stoltz, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken, Harvey Keitel.
JFK was the film I immediately thought of.

Reactions: demoncore1031

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Spencer Tracy
Milton Berle
Phil Silvers
Sid Caeser
Ethyl Merman
Buddy Hackett
D ick Shawn
Jonathan WInter
Terry Thomas
Edie Adams
Dorothy Provine
Jim Backus
Eddie "Rochester" Andrews
Joe E Brown
William Demarist
Andy Devine
Peter Falk
Norman Fell
Stan Freberg
Leo Gorcey
Edward Everett Horton
Buster Keaton
Don Knotts
Charles Lane
Zasu PItts
Carl Reiner
The Three Stooges
Jesse White
Jerry Lewis
Morey Amsterdam
Jack Benny

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
While not the best cast ever, I really thought the cast in Argo was underrated:
Ben Affleck
Bryan Cranston (maybe best TV character actor ever?)
Scoot McNariy (one of my fav TV series of all time is Halt and Catch Fire)
Zelijko Ivanek (incredible career)
Titus Welliver (Bosch is one of my favorite Amazon series)
John Goodman
Alan Arkin
Kyle Chandler
Richard Kind
Tate Donovan

Reactions: Angie