What movies have the greatest casts?

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I adore the original Iron Man. I thought it was going to build on the more serious tone of the Nolan Batman films. I liked the serious, adult superhero tales films like The Dark Knight and Iron Man told us. Iron Man has some pretty serious things it says about the U.S. war in Afghanistan and the military-industrial complex. And Tony Stark was the perfect character to explore those consequential themes in the way that they did.

Obviously they went in another direction.

I'm like you... I can only take A-list actors there to cash a PHATTTTT check quipping stupid lines at each other and pretending to punch each other in the face in front of a green screen so seriously.

There are exceptions to that... I'll defend the fight choreography and cinematography in The Winter Solider and its themes about surveillance and intelligence agencies gone rogue. But that's about it.

Not that anybody watching really noticed them.
And the plots are always the same...some god like evil villain from a distant world is attacking earth and the only group that can save us is a group of superhero's that must ban together and put aside their internal conflicts while wearing tight fitting clothes.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Lord of the Rings

Elijah Wood, Vigo Mortensen, Sean Austin, Sean Bean, Ian Mcellen, Orlando Bloom, Bernard Hill, Liv Tyler, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Ian Holm, Karl Urban, David Wenham, Martin Csokas, Brad Douriff and Miranda Otto.

Not bad.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lord of the Rings

Elijah Wood, Vigo Mortensen, Sean Austin, Sean Bean, Ian Mcellen, Orlando Bloom, Bernard Hill, Liv Tyler, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Ian Holm, Karl Urban, David Wenham, Martin Csokas, Brad Douriff and Miranda Otto.

Not bad.

I know The Hobbit trilogy was disappointing in comparison to The Lord of the Rings, which is aging better and better every year. I have seen a five-hour edit of The Hobbit that is *really* good, though, and would serve as an acceptable prequel to the three LOTR films to make a very enjoyable tetralogy.

That being said, The Hobbit did have a great cast...

Martin Freeman
Ian McKellen
Richard Armitage
Cate Blanchett
Hugo Weaving
Christopher Lee
Sylvester McCoy
Lee Pace
Orlando Bloom
Evangeline Lilly
Luke Evans
Thomasin McKenzie
Stephen Fry
Benedict Cumberbatch
Billy Connolly
Andy Serkis

Sort of a shame to see much of it going to waste.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know The Hobbit trilogy was disappointing in comparison to The Lord of the Rings, which is aging better and better every year. I have seen a five-hour edit of The Hobbit that is *really* good, though, and would serve as an acceptable prequel to the three LOTR films to make a very enjoyable tetralogy.

That being said, The Hobbit did have a great cast...

Martin Freeman
Ian McKellen
Richard Armitage
Cate Blanchett
Hugo Weaving
Christopher Lee
Sylvester McCoy
Lee Pace
Orlando Bloom
Evangeline Lilly
Luke Evans
Thomasin McKenzie
Stephen Fry
Benedict Cumberbatch
Billy Connolly
Andy Serkis

Sort of a shame to see much of it going to waste.
Where did you see that? I would like to take a look. I am a huge Middle Earth nerd going way back to middle school/high school but I thought that thing Jackson did to The Hobbit was a travesty.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Where did you see that? I would like to take a look. I am a huge Middle Earth nerd going way back to middle school/high school but I thought that thing Jackson did to The Hobbit was a travesty.

Easy to Google but...

https://goldfishblues.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/the-hobbit-the-bilbo-edition-3-0-the-final-cut/

I'll note I bought all three of The Hobbit films on DVD. So, I never felt guilty about watching an edit -- I already owned this, this was just mixing up the order of and cutting scenes.

It does a much better job of following the actual story of a hobbit named Bilbo.

I consider it the definitive version of The Hobbit on screen (for now).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Scott Pilgrim v. The World

Michael Cera
Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Kieran Culkin
Anna Kendrick
Brie Larson
Alison Pill
Aubrey Plaza
Ellen Wong
Chris Evans
Brandon Routh
Jason Schwartzman
Mae Whitman

CtownCyclone

I got one more silver dollar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Clooney is outstandingly hilarious. Tim Blake Nelson serves a great gopher. John Turturro is insanely good (and I generally can't stand him...DO...NOT...SEEK...THE...TREASURE), John Goodman as the Bible-thumpin' Cyclops, Charles Durning as the Guvnah of the Great State of Mississippi, Pappy O'Daniel, Daniel Cooley as the hell-fire sheriff, Ray McKinnon as the bona fide suitor, Stephen Root as the blind radio station DJ, and everyone else, just perfection. And don't get me started on the Sirens. Yowza.

Well ain't this place a geographic oddity. 2 weeks from everywhere!

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
1st one that came to my mind: Lonesome Dove - 1989
Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Diane Lane, Angelica Huston, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Robert Urich, Chris Cooper, Ricky Schroeder

Reactions: demoncore1031