What is your earliest Cyclone memory?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Going to a game in 1979 with my grandpa. He parked right next to the stadium and was one of the original donors so we had great seats.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Probably the 92 football game against Nebraska when I was 8. I won the right to go with my dad over my brother by winning "rock, scissors, paper". I remember going to basketball games before that with my grandparents, but nothing specific about any of those games.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Listening to the first game of the Danny Mac era in my dad's '86 Mazda.

First really special memory: The upset of KU for the final Big 8 title.

First instant of my heart being ripped from my chest: Cameron Dollar doing the Zaire Taylor in that same year's Sweet 16.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
I saw Gary Thompson play for ISU in the Armory. Sneaking under the fence on the south side of Clyde Williams field in 1956. So I'm familiar with the carbon dating of dirt.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Listening to the first game of the Danny Mac era in my dad's '86 Mazda.

First instant of my heart being ripped from my chest: Cameron Dollar doing the Zaire Taylor in that same year's Sweet 16.

Al, I would like to apologize in advance for being a nitpicking a-hole, but the sweet 16 year with the loss to UCLA was 96-97 and the big 8 title was 95-96. You may now slap me.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa

+1 here

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Watching Mike Williams run in the old stadium with people passing students to the top row.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Watching Iowa and ISU wrestle on IPTV the night Randy Lewis busted his arm wrestling Jim Gibbons. It was tape delayed and I stayed up with my brother to watch it. I can still hear Lewis screaming and picture that arm breaking under him. To a kid, it seemed like they showed the replay 15 times although I doubt it was that many. I'd prefer my first memory be something a little less dark, but that one has stuck with me.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
Tons of Iowa State memories from Radio and the occasional TV coverage, but 2000 ISU v Missouri was my first game. Dad and I sat in the second level west side for a night game. Thought it was a freezing game in late October, however that was before my college years and going to K-State games where it was literally freezing!

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Can't remember if it was 90 or 91 going to an ISU-Colorado football game. It was so cold that there were no people at the gates taking tickets.

H

HGPuck

First vivid memories:
Football - The yardage meter on the front of the upper deck for Troy Davis and after he got over 2,000 going home and turning on a college football show so I could hear ISU football mentioned.
Basketball - Unsure about the game, but the portion of the scoreboard that listed player's stats went out and Hoiberg went on to score over forty and they announced his point total over the PA when he came out towards the end of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Last Big 8 title. Just remember wondering why Dedric Willoughby was shooting from so far behind the 3-point line.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I saw Gary Thompson play for ISU in the Armory. Sneaking under the fence on the south side of Clyde Williams field in 1956. So I'm familiar with the carbon dating of dirt.
I'm class of '71 also. I remember my first ISU football game in the fall of 1966 at Clyde Williams Field. Then we had basketball games that winter over in the Armory. The Armory was very fun and loud. The metal bleachers and decking made great noise when stomped upon!:yes:

Earlier than that, I remember as a kid seeing on Channel 8 (KRNT then) a sign that read "Through these doors pass the hardest-nosed football players in the world". The sign was above the entrance to the Cyclone locker room. I think they were covering the Dirty Thirty. That has always stuck in my memory and I can still see the sign in my mind today.

Last edited:

lakewoodcy

Mar 23, 2010
You can carbon-date me. My first memory is a home game at Clyde Williams field against (I think) Arizona State - pre Johnny Majors. ASU clobbered ISU. Stands pretty sparse.

Then I remember watching Johnny Majors on Beat the Bear (WHO TV - Sunday nights) with Zipper Mouth & Co. Began listening to the games. Remember players like Kieth Schroeder, Dave Carlson, George Amundson, etc., who turned the program around toward respectability.

I've been hooked ever since.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It's not really specific and I'll probably catch heck for it since it's also about the Hawkeyes. It was the mid 90s, because I was around 10ish. EVERYONE in my family were Hawk fans and they were watching an Iowa-ISU game and ragging on the Cyclones. I just remembered thinking how stupid that was and started cheering for ISU. We got beat. Badly. But I haven't quit cheering since.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fall 1972. I have a senior in HS working on a drafting project listening to the ISU football game. The tied Nebraska that day, 23-23, missing an extra point that would have one the game. The only extra point the kicker missed in his entire Iowa State career. At the time I had not selected ISU as my college of choice, that came later that school year, and I have been an avid Cyclone since. Fortunately we beat Nebraska (37-28)in the 1976 season (most enjoyable game I personally ever attended) while I was still in school. then watching the clones do it again last year just brought back all the good memories (although I was sober this last time).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron