What is everyones gut feeling on ISU basketball next year

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I just have this feeling that we will improve. Not very much though. Enough to keep Gmac's job. The problem occurs that we will not have Brack following that year or Gillstrap who I think will be pretty good after the first break. Juco guys never come in an have immediate impact. Usually takes them a little time to catch up with there role in the game.

So I hope I am wrong but I don't see an end to this crap for a while. I hope Gmac can do it. I like the guy. I don't think he would ever bail on us for a Better program.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think we will be solid. Look better against teams than this year. But win loss may just be a few games over current. Who knows though, the team could gel alot quicker this time around.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
If CB comes back coupled with Gilstrap and Colvin coming in along with off-season improvement by the rest of the team I look for ISU to finish in the top half of the Big XII and be a bubble team. If CB leaves for the NBA I think we will have a similar record to this year (+ or -) one or two games. GMac’s ultimate fate may be determined before the season even starts next year if CB leaves for the NBA and the November recruiting class isn’t a strong one. I am a huge GMac fan and I want to see him succeed. I am optimistic about the future!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I just have this feeling that we will improve. Not very much though. Enough to keep Gmac's job. The problem occurs that we will not have Brack following that year or Gillstrap who I think will be pretty good after the first break. Juco guys never come in an have immediate impact. Usually takes them a little time to catch up with there role in the game.

So I hope I am wrong but I don't see an end to this crap for a while. I hope Gmac can do it. I like the guy. I don't think he would ever bail on us for a Better program.

Special Juco's come in right away and excel. Tinsley, Willoughby, Pratt, Cato.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
My gut feeling tells me we will be much improved.. Brackins, i think, is coming back and the overall improvement of Hamilton, DG, JVB, and Staiger will improve us at least 4-5 wins. IF, and that's a big IF, Gilstrap, Colvin, and Pomlee can provide some quality minutes, we will improve by another 2-3 wins. Our core next year will be juniors, so I hope to see a major improvement in strength and court awareness.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If Brackins comes back, this team has no reason, on paper, to fail to make the NCAA's. However, I don't think they will. We will be lucky for NIT. If Brackins goes pro, we'll be worse... You wanted gut feeling, there it is.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The negative side in me thinks if Craig leaves, Gilstrap and Colvin aren't as good as advertised, and a certain some one doesn't sign with the good guys in November, it could get real tough for Gmac.

But I'm more of an optomistic guy.

Realistically though, if Brackins comes back, everyone improves their game a little, we get some new blood in the recruits and redshirts, I really think we could be a solid NIT/NCAA bubble team.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
My gut feeling tells me we will be much improved.. Brackins, i think, is coming back and the overall improvement of Hamilton, DG, JVB, and Staiger will improve us at least 4-5 wins. IF, and that's a big IF, Gilstrap, Colvin, and Pomlee can provide some quality minutes, we will improve by another 2-3 wins. Our core next year will be juniors, so I hope to see a major improvement in strength and court awareness.

I agree.

I think less people hit the wall in Jan/Feb, since we won't be counting so much on first-year college players. Conditioning should be better. They all know (or soon will) what's expected of them for next year, so next year can essentially begin right now.

If Craig comes back, and Gilstrap is solid, this team looks completely different, and I envision more open looks for the three-point shooters.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
w/o Brack: the same as this year
w/ Brack: Maybe a few games better in the Big 12.

I'm sorry, I just don't see this team being much better next year...I hope I'm wrong.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Just a this season's success hinged on one player (WJ) returning, the same exists for next year. If CB stays, ISU has a reasonable chance to make the tourney. He leaves, and another below average, disappointing season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think we'll be better. They have the Spain trip this offseason to continue to gel and get some extra practice time in as well which hasn't been mentioned.

Ultimately it comes down to Brackins. If he comes back I will expect 20+ wins and an NCAA birth. If he does not I'll hope for the NIT.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I think IF everyone comes back and the recruits coming in actually come to ISU, I think we will win 1 or 2 more games in the Big 12. If what usually happens happens, and we loose 3 to 4 players then I think we will be worse.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think we'll be better. They have the Spain trip this offseason to continue to gel and get some extra practice time in as well which hasn't been mentioned.

Ultimately it comes down to Brackins. If he comes back I will expect 20+ wins and an NCAA birth. If he does not I'll hope for the NIT.

How many teams go on these overseas trips, and how many ever come back to do poorly?

I don't have anything but anecdotal stories, but the only teams that I hear about taking these trips always come back for great seasons.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If Brackins comes back we should be an NIT team but I still don't think we will have the guard play to get to the NCAA's. If Brackins leaves, similar record.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
My gut assumes Brackins comes back. At that point we get close to the 20 win mark and might even make it there. I could see us being similar to Oklahoma State or Kansas State this year in what they did. Hopefully we make the NCAA Tournament, but if not, we're still an NIT team.

My biggest concern is the year after and where we might be. Brackins will obviously leave and Gilstrap will be gone. If we don't get Barnes we go back to almost square one. If we get Barnes, we hover around that 20 win level again.

PJZ

Dec 17, 2007
NIT-calibur with Brackins.

But my gut feeling is that he is as good as gone, so .500 seems likely.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
How many teams go on these overseas trips, and how many ever come back to do poorly?

UNI last year, or two years ago, don't remember which. :wink:

Every team can do one every 4 years. These trips are nice and they can be helpful but you have to have the talent.

Help Support Us

Become a patron