What do you all think of this guy?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The one thing I want to see in a new coach is a resume that includes assistant stops at top programs. Not necessarily coordinator, but just as an assistant at some successful programs.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Can you even recruit at the D3 level? A quick glance at his roster from 2014 and I only see players from Wisconsin or Illinois. Going to need to cast a much larger net to compete in the Big 12.

Yeah they recruit. But from my experience, at least in Iowa, it was basically look in the paper at who got any type of post season honors in your state, and give those guys a call and a look.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Whitewater is a small step above good big-school high school football. I think this guy would be a disaster on the recruiting trail. Pretty big jump. Is he being mentioned just because he's from Wisconsin and JP knows him?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like him a lot for a dark-horse. I think he's a better option, with more success, than Stitt. He would need to bring in some stud recruiters, as that would be a major question mark. But more than anything else (IMO) we need someone to instill a culture of winning - and he has a ton of experience at that.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Interesting. I think coaching football is coaching football, so I don't undervalue those who have succeeded at a lower level (particularly when they have succeeded greatly).

True story. But we'll need people on staff who know how to recruit TX and FL let alone Iowa.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
109-6 and 5 national titles is nothing to turn your nose up at, no matter what division.

I would question his ability to recruit D1 talent and handle a D1 program, but the guy is a winner.

So he's lost as many games in one season at the FBS level as he did in eight in Division III. Buffalo is 5-6 right now in his first year there. Not ideal.

He'd be on Iowa State-type radars if he goes something like 9-3 at Buffalo next year. But this is a gamble as it is.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not to my pick but the article says. "the notion that Buffalo is the only AAU-accredited university with an FBS program that isn’t playing in a Power 5 conference." But isn't Tulane also an AAU university.

Well it does say "the notion" maybe he's figuring high school kids won't do any fact checking on the statements he throws out. It looks like Rice is an AAU university as well as Tulane.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Here's the thing with Liepold.

Bob Berezowitz was at Whitewater for 30+ years. They were D-III runner-up in 2005 and 2006, then Liepold took over and won a bunch of titles. He didn't have to build anything, he got tossed the keys to a sports car and didn't crash it.

Pass.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I like him a lot for a dark-horse. I think he's a better option, with more success, than Stitt. He would need to bring in some stud recruiters, as that would be a major question mark. But more than anything else (IMO) we need someone to instill a culture of winning - and he has a ton of experience at that.

True, but I wonder if a DIII winning culture translates to what it takes to win at the DI level. Still, his record is down right ridiculous.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
Record and accomplishments sure are impressive, but I wouldn't want to go that route.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Interesting. I'd feel a bit better if he was having a better season this year. I wonder how their recruiting class is for next year?

The Bo Ryan comparison is not quite right because I don't think it is as big of a jump going from coaching D3 in basketball to D1 as it would be in football.

Overall, I'd rather have a current head coach than he current position coach. But I'm not sure this is the right guy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron