What do we think of CSP . . .

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I like him. If I had to criticize something, it would be his player rotation/substitutions. If I had a quarter for every time I've heard him say "I should have played so-and-so more", I could buy a large Great Plains pizza. I saw his comment about how Young has a right to be mad at him too.
I like him. Glad we have him. Want to see him improve on managing minutes.

Reactions: Bewilderme

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
He deserved to be fired. He was a great recruiter but underwhelming coach.
That's because they haven't been used right. Bowie was never a 5 and can't play it with 4 guards. Holden has struggled but once they found his role he has performed well. Young is inexperienced but a really solid big. He was always going to struggle early but needed to play more so he could get his legs for the conference season. We don't have that one big but we do have three solid forwards. One who I think will be really good in three years. We also have one of if not the best backcourts in the country.

If we went back and changed a couple results we would be in the top 25. Heck if we win tomorrow we might sneak back in at 25. We will be in the top 25 if we win our next three games. That is why the middle of the season where we didn't even look like we were going to make the tournament was concerning.

Used right or flat out just not working out to be Big 12 talent level?
Bowie would not see minutes on any P5 team in the country, if they had even 2 competent forwards.

The grad transfer market for bigs/power forwards was absolutely awful last year, the guy at Texas Tech really being the only serviceable guy in the entire country. Just no solution available

Is what it is, tried to fix a big hole, did not work out has we had hoped, and now we depend on a Freshmen to fill it more or less.

Ideally probably should have bailed on the Malou thing, and tried to fill with some JC big, that was more serviceable and could actually finish at the rim.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
We are just over 1.5 years with him. While I've questioned some of his moves, lineups, etc, it's WAY too early to say definitively he's a bust or the best coach ever. The game day threads, while I get are a lot of simply venting, sometimes appear there are a few that post here that think he should be fired immediately and never be allowed to coach again. Which is beyond ridiculous.

I'm not 100% sold on him yet, nor am I saying he can't cut it. I should have a clearer opinion after year 3 and 4. Right now, I really like the direction he's trending. And, I think in the end, he will prove to be one of the better coaches ISU has had.

Reactions: Bewilderme

Dingus

May 23, 2013
A lot of questionable factors regarding the front court this year; counting on 2 big question marks (Malou and Lard) that didn't pan out, perhaps few good options available, apparently missing on evaluating Bowie and Holden.

But as it stands, it's hard to complain about where ISU is sitting being that our two SR bigs simply aren't P5 players. This team has basically been last year's team minus 3 guys who are now playing professionally.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Your hatred of Hoiberg is just baffling. Has Prohm done anything this point to eclipse Hoiberg? Then how the hell can we "fall back" to Hoiberg levels. You must mean making the NCAA Tournament 80% of the time, winning the conference tournament 40% of the time, and making the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament 60%.

I hope Prohm can keep building on the foundation that Hoiberg started and take us to greater levels. But the hatred toward Fred is just pitiful.
Hatred of Hoiberg? Lol. Thinking Prohm has done a better job with the last two rosters than Fred would have isn't hating Hoiberg. I know you're for Team Hoiberg rather than ISU, but ISU MBB is more than Hoiberg. Reread the post I referenced to understand the "fall back" comment. What the poster is afraid of becoming under Prohm is what Hoiberg teams generally were.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
We don't have that one big but we do have three solid forwards.

Sorry but you completely lost me here. I just don't think that's true at all. Bowie only averaged around 24 minutes and 9 pts a game throughout his career in the MAC. He did that on poor shooting percentages. Holden averaged 8 pts in 24 minutes and only played significant minutes in one season in the Conference USA. Prohm didn't sign them because he thought they were good. He signed them because we needed somebody and they were all we could get after Malo and Lard fell through.

I don't mean to bag on our players but if someone thought Stu was a solid player I wouldn't think it unfair to argue against it. Not that Bowie/Holden are at that level. :D

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
They aren't good but people overstate how bad they are. People act like they are Stu when they are significantly better. Rotating those three early in the year would have been serviceable. Bowie and Holden can hold their own for short bursts at a time but they can't do it consistently. Doing that until Young really started to get it would have been the best. Switching between the two to play the whole game was never going to work.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
They aren't good but people overstate how bad they are. People act like they are Stu when they are significantly better. Rotating those three early in the year would have been serviceable. Bowie and Holden can hold their own for short bursts at a time but they can't do it consistently. Doing that until Young really started to get it would have been the best. Switching between the two to play the whole game was never going to work.

I am not sure putting 2 guys on the floor with very limited scoring ability at the same time is a good idea. You go from 4 guys that can hit a shot down to 3.

You have one of the premier point guards in the country setting them up. Was it against KSU where Holden, had an open easy layup after a nice dish and he laid up so hard it missed the rim and came out the other side. Fortunately he knew he bricked it so bad he was able to go after the rebound before KSU could react and drew a foul.

They are not Stu, but they are not Big 12 caliber either. Good for them giving it a shot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Early in the season they had short bursts because they would take turns picking up fouls at an unbelievable rate.

• Funny
Reactions: BBHMagic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Gee, can you imagine this thread if Mad Fran was our coach????
CheapContentHousefly.gif

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Hatred of Hoiberg? Lol. Thinking Prohm has done a better job with the last two rosters than Fred would have isn't hating Hoiberg. I know you're for Team Hoiberg rather than ISU, but ISU MBB is more than Hoiberg. Reread the post I referenced to understand the "fall back" comment. What the poster is afraid of becoming under Prohm is what Hoiberg teams generally were.

I was a season ticket holder through the entire McDermott era, I'm fairly certain that qualifies me as a team Iowa State member. I'm not sure I recall a single post where you haven't taken a dig at Fred in the last two years.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhart

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Huh? What hole did he dig himself? ISU is 4 made shots from being 20-5 on the year and ranked in the top 15, maybe top 10. Perspective matters.

Odd that a transition year from one coach to another had a couple speed bumps in it. Show me a situation where it has been seamless for any team.

You are saying they underachieved because they took to a team that ended up going to the Final Four down to the wire in KC in the Big 12 tournament before losing? And they beat the two teams they matched up with who happened to be double digit seeds the first two rounds in the NCAA Tournament? Nobody cares who you beat in March, they only care how far you go.

AND THEY ******* EARNED THE RIGHT TO PLAY A DOUBLE DIGIT SEED IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE TOURNAMENT. That's how that works. We played to the level of a 4 seed during the season and that meant that we played a low seed to start the tournament.

If I read one more time that the teams we played to get the Sweet 16 weren't any good, so it shouldn't count, I'll scream. The only valid comment is that we got 'lucky' in the second round. The first round was earned.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
AND THEY ******* EARNED THE RIGHT TO PLAY A DOUBLE DIGIT SEED IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE TOURNAMENT. That's how that works. We played to the level of a 4 seed during the season and that meant that we played a low seed to start the tournament.

If I read one more time that the teams we played to get the Sweet 16 weren't any good, so it shouldn't count, I'll scream. The only valid comment is that we got 'lucky' in the second round. The first round was earned.

Agreed. That was Hawk fan drivel from last March. We're better than that

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like him as a person. So far as a coach I think there's still things to be desired. He will get there. I think his best perceived quality is his humility. People chastised him for tearing up at KU but he cares, and he doesn't just care about winning he cares about his players. He's too nice a guy for the media(social), but he shows that he can take the punches with the best of them.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Earning a 4 seed in the tournament is much more impressive than beating Iona and Little Rock AR two games in a row.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Even the second round comment isn't particularly valid. Obviously some higher seed didn't get the job done for them to advance and we did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron