What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Not a saying, but I can't say I've seen the index-finger-wave-from-the-steering-wheel since leaving Iowa.

Ha! I had someone give me the index-finger-wave-from-the-steering-wheel today when I pulled into a bank parking lot. I thought to myself "that's the first time I recall seeing that in 20 years....when I lived in Iowa."

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Booze cruisin'- driving around and drinking on gravel roads or level B's.
Scopping the loop- spending the whole night driving the most popular strip in town.

INdex finger wave always brings me back when I go home to Albia. Even in CB I don't get the wave, unless Im in my neighborhood.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Not a saying per se, but still Iowa bred:
Kum & Go

First time I came across the Campustown convenience store, I thought "Wait, that can't be right, can it?"

Try 'splainin that one to out-of-staters....

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
My late father ran a Kent Feeds dealership in eastern Iowa. I swear he spoke another language while at work. We lived in town most of my life but I would often help him in the spring and fall when I could. Hauling anhydrous tanks was a routine chore I despise. When giving me directions he would never say left or right, it was always east, west, north south. He give distance in rods...I remember thinking what the hell is a rod? Why can't you use a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 mile distance description like a normal person. He'd refer to obscure landmarks or people's farm names like I would know this stuff. I bet half the time I left the mill with very little idea where I was going, but I miraculously never got lost and always got to the right place even though most of the roads were unfamiliar to me. Forced me to pay attention to direction and to this day I get pissed whenever I get turned around and feel like I am going a certain direction only to learn I'm going the opposite way.

Regarding dinner and supper, as a kid growing up I always thought supper was the routine, informal meal around 6pm. Now if we had company or family over, that same meal was now called dinner.

All my sibs love to tell "Dad stories" when we'd get together. He'd get a kick out of hearing us retell our tales of woe. Sure do miss him.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For us, rubbers were the slip-on rubbery ankle boots with two flimsy buckles that you put over your work boots.

They were a fairly stupid design, really. If you were putting them on, chances are you were stepping in ****. The extra time it took to put on proper boots was well worth it when the alternative was possibly stepping in something deep enough to go over the top of those ankle length abominations.

I'd like to say we called them tingleys at some point.

Tingleys are the slip ons with no buckles. come in either ankle height, or calf height with the one button to shut the top.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When I think of "nucular," I think of GW, but also a junior high teacher I had who said "nucular," "nuckulus" and "protron," with a mysterious "R." And he taught science, fer chrissakes. :eek:

Our 3rd grade elementary school teacher read us the whole book, Mary Poppins, a chapter at a time after lunch. In every case she pronounced it Popkins. Even as a little kid I knew that was messed up.

Also had a step grandfather who, when referring to the founder of KFC, called him Colonel Saunders. He also thought the plural of 'mile' was mowl. "How many mowl is it from here to Ames?" He was from Pittsburgh so...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My mother in law grew up in north central Iowa and she says 'warsh', 'wrastling' and calls the tough stuff on a cut of meat 'grizzle' instead of gristle.

We give her a lot of grief about it too.

Reactions: wxman1

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Our 3rd grade elementary school teacher read us the whole book, Mary Poppins, a chapter at a time after lunch. In every case she pronounced it Popkins. Even as a little kid I knew that was messed up.

Did you cringe a little each time she said Popkins?

I'm always surprised when common terms/names within a teacher's subject area aren't second-nature (the correct version of the basics).

My HS typing teacher referred to asterisk key as "the aster sign."

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Well I grew up in NE Iowa, but paternal relatives grew up on farm south of DM. So I have heard a lot of these.

Grandparents definitely called their couch "the davenport". But none of my aunts/uncles really say it now. Grandma also said "par-ME-ze-en" cheese instead of "PAR-muh-zhan", not sure if that is a thing or just my gramma.

Glad to hear "rhubarb" for weeds in the ditch. Didn't think that was very widespread. I think it only gets used for wrecking your car, or a bad golf shot.

Surprised with all the "warsh" no one added the "zinc".

Also no one from Dubuque has said "youse" or "youse guys". This is the DBQ version of "y'all".