What are you reading?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I'll preface this by saying I'm doing my best to keep this out of the cave. So, I won't get into the specific stuff he says...

So the thesis of the book is really that we should appreciate nature more which includes national parks and farming practices. The book has three parts: 1) a guided hike he did with his friends in Yellowstone, 2) a sustainable farm in Europe that he frequently visits and 3) his airstream trip he did with his wife during the pandemic.

His stuff about caring for nature, sustainable farming, his family, etc are all great stuff and he is a humorous writer. (There's even an Iowa State shoutout!) But he takes these very hard turns into political topics out of nowhere. (He's a progressive liberal.) So, at one moment you'll be reading about this great hike he did in Yellowstone, then the next page is a long rant about supreme court hearings, or Jan 6, etc etc.

I even agreed with some of the thoughts he posited. However, I did NOT pick that book up to read more political opinions. I can get plenty of that crap just walking down the street.

It was just a let down from that regard. An otherwise good book ruined by injecting topics that I was trying to avoid in the first place.
What is the rational, nonpartisan discussion concerning January 6th?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Books I've read this year so far:
A Promised Land by Barack Obama (I always read Presidential Memoirs)
Yearbook by Seth Rogen (funny insight into his life)
Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham
The Last American Vampire by Seth Graham-Smith

Books on deck:
D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II by Sarah Rose
The Splendid and Vile by Erik Larson (Devil in the White City author)
I'd like to play alone, please by Tom Segura
I made it about half way and just couldn't get through this book. So many Russian names, people, places to try to remember.
I'll have to try it again after the summer.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Currently reading Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch, the third book in a series about a newly minted cop who has to handle all the magical problems in London (vampires, wizards, ghosts).

Thus far this year:

1655925852432.png

Reactions: DanielMarks

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh, man. That book is gripping. After a while, you "almost" start saying to the young women "Don't go with him! Don't go with him!"
Of course, they do, and it gets creepy and wild from there.

Issac's Storm by the same author is another one of his really good books.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I find books on crime and self help to be very interesting and fulfilling.

Im currently reading Killer Triggers by Joe Kenda. (Amazing guy)
Also working on Slow Down Sell Faster. Both are excellent so far.
What are you reading?

If you like true crime I’m reading Killers of the Flower Moon. It’s from the very early days of the FBI, when Hoover was shaping it. It follows a wild story of a string of murders on an oil rich Indian reservation.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
"Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks.

Probably best known in the general public by the film "Awakenings" (his role was played by Robin Williams), this brilliant neurologist wrote definitive works on many functions (musicality) and dysfunctions (e.g., blindness, deafness, and a host of other neurological phenomena) of the brain.

Another favorite by him is the collection of short pieces he wrote when he knew he was dying entitled "Gratitude".

His autobiography, "On The Move: A Life" is also a fascinating ride.

Sacks.jpg

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
And just your friendly librarian plug that you can likely get free ebooks and audiobooks from your local library. I am still surprised that many people don't know that these days and buy them from Amazon.

Disclaimer: I work for one of the companies that provides digital titles to libraries, but it's a great thing even if you end up using our competitor's platform.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination Lamar Waldron​

Of all JFK assassination-themed books, this is the one I believe offers, quite frankly, the most compelling, documented, and accurate storyline of who, why, and what. If you think there is nothing left to report on this topic you may have your eyes open. I started reading it by chance and am glad I did!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Brad Thor (State of the Union). Tom Clancy-esque. Third time thru series of his (I've got 11-12 of his, all of em I think).

I was too lazy to get something new. Books I really like, I find are almost as good the 2nd (and 3rd) time thru. As long as it is about a year or more in between. :)