What are you reading?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
The Premonitions Bureau, a true story of a researcher who tried to determine if premonitions are anything more than coincidence.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I've been on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick. Currently on Dune Messiah. Previous to the Dune series I read Children of Time which oddly held my attention.

I'll put a plug in for Ankeny's Wall of Books which sells both new and used books. I wasn't expecting much, but I like their selection and have had great help from both the owners and employees.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Favorites of the past year:
Cloud Cuckoo Land -Anthony Doerr (superb imagination, 3 eras in one story that all intertwine)
Project Hail Mary -Andy Weir (favorite book ever maybe)
The Paradox Hotel -Rob Hart (Time travel mystery)
The Godfather, Mario Puzo (classic that I'd never read)
The Lincoln Highway -Amor Towles --could have been better, but the young kid in it was such a good character

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Currently still in "The Devil in the White City". Once it got nice out, I started spending more time on my yard and doing outdoor things and its really knocked me off the pace I was on. I have 3 more books on deck and if I buy another one, my wife will kill me.
That's a great book. Read it years ago and loved it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's a variety.
Some Star Wars High Republic novels, because that seemed fun and something I hadn't done for a long time.

In the history side, "Twice Forgotten: African-Americans and the Korean War, an Oral History." Something I want to know more about.

Once I open the cover, "The Water Dancer" by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

I felt like trying some new stuff this summer, and reading while kiddo and I kick back from a pretty obsessive and draining spring. Otherwise, it's old comics, too.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Currently reading The Three-Body Problem - Liu Cixin. It is AWESOME!

If anyone here could recommend some books I would great appreciate. I am looking for books similar to my favorites below. Thanks!!!

Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Recursion - Blake Crouch
Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir
14 - Peter Clines
The Fold - Peter Clines
NPC - Jeremy Robinson
Pines Trilogy - Blake Crouch
I'm a Blake Crouch fan too. I'm currently reading a book I got from Amazon First Reads called Blackout by Erin Flanagan which I'm enjoying so far.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Currently still in "The Devil in the White City". Once it got nice out, I started spending more time on my yard and doing outdoor things and its really knocked me off the pace I was on. I have 3 more books on deck and if I buy another one, my wife will kill me.

Oh, man. That book is gripping. After a while, you "almost" start saying to the young women "Don't go with him! Don't go with him!"
Of course, they do, and it gets creepy and wild from there.

Reactions: GMackey32

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Democracy and Civil War in Spain 1931-1939--M. Blinkhorn

To help satisfy my recent interest in Spanish history.

A few days ago I finished a Very Short Introduction to The Conquistadors--Restall & Fernandez-Armesto.

Last edited:
Reactions: enisthemenace

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am curious to know more.
I'll preface this by saying I'm doing my best to keep this out of the cave. So, I won't get into the specific stuff he says...

So the thesis of the book is really that we should appreciate nature more which includes national parks and farming practices. The book has three parts: 1) a guided hike he did with his friends in Yellowstone, 2) a sustainable farm in Europe that he frequently visits and 3) his airstream trip he did with his wife during the pandemic.

His stuff about caring for nature, sustainable farming, his family, etc are all great stuff and he is a humorous writer. (There's even an Iowa State shoutout!) But he takes these very hard turns into political topics out of nowhere. (He's a progressive liberal.) So, at one moment you'll be reading about this great hike he did in Yellowstone, then the next page is a long rant about supreme court hearings, or Jan 6, etc etc.

I even agreed with some of the thoughts he posited. However, I did NOT pick that book up to read more political opinions. I can get plenty of that crap just walking down the street.

It was just a let down from that regard. An otherwise good book ruined by injecting topics that I was trying to avoid in the first place.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Allegedly Leo DiCaprio bought the rights to turn it into a movie so we'll see how it pans out. I love it so far. I just tend to spend most of my free time working outside instead of reading currently.
It's stuck in production hell for any movie. Last I heard it was going to be a series on HULU or something but he's owned the rights for like 15 years and there seems to always be hurdles. Killers of the Flower Moon however is coming out this year directed by Scorcese and staring Leo and DeNiro. That book is fantastic (and true)

• Informative
Reactions: GMackey32

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
It's stuck in production hell for any movie or series. Killers of the Flower Moon however is coming out this year directed by Scorcese and staring Leo and DeNiro. That book is fantastic (and true)
Isn't Killers the one about murders (and land grabs) in Oklahoma? If so, I read it awhile back.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
I'm bouncing back and forth between the Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn and the various Norse and Icelandic Sagas.

Gulag has been on my "must read" list since I read A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich a decade ago. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and although it is a brutal testament to man's inhumanity to man and the banality of evil, I would highly recommend it.

The Sagas have been on my list since I am primarily of Norse descent and the movie Northman got me inspired to start on them. BTW... the Northman has very little resemblance to the saga of Amleth. Very loosely inspired. Revenge story after uncle kills father is about all the similarity.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
Looking for Historical Fiction recommendations. For reference, I'm a big fan of Ken Follett.

* Christian Cameron - The Long War Series, Tyrant Series, William Gold Series
* Robert Low - Viking age and Robert the Bruce Era stuff
* Giles Kristian - Viking Age
* Paul Doherty - Historical Murder Mysteries (Excellent history wrapped around murder investiagtions)
* Mel Starr - Medieval Physician solving murder mysteries
* Charles Finch - Copycat Sherlock Holmes like character in the 19th Centrury London
* Patrick O'Brian - Master and Commander Series
* Bernard Cornwall - Sharpe, Saxon Tales, and others. Formulaic story pattern but fun reads
* Simon Scarrow - Roman Military and Spy novels
* Conn Igguldon - Roman and Medival England stuff

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I read a lot of legal documents and financial statements at work so I don't love reading books on my downtime but listen to audio books a lot. Terrible with titles but mostly sci-fi and fantasy.

Listening to the cradle series by will wight
Storm light archive series by Brandon Sanderson

Physical books I've been reading a page or two a day from Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance which my brother mailed me.

Reactions: ccruzen