what are you expectations for this season?

expectations this season

• 1-3 wins

Votes: 72 26.0%
  • 4-6 wins

Votes: 153 55.2%
  • 6+ wins

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • competitive in each game

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Tailgating should be fun regardless of wins

Votes: 18 6.5%

• Total voters

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Really, I just want to see steady improvement as the season progresses in order to set us up for next season. Four wins is what I expect, but wouldn't be surprised if it is 2 or 5. Six wins would surprise me.

Not trying to be a downer, I just understand the history of this program. Would love to see history re-written!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There will be a lot of excitement for MBB after the preseason game. Nuff said.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
With the big coaching shake-ups and potential impact players both leaving and joining the team, I honestly have no expectations for the year. I'm sure once we get into the middle of the summer I'll start playing the schedule game, but right now all I'm asking for is some decent weather and competitive games.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
completely agree, if this year is a failure, thennnnnn things better start getting warm.

While that would normally be the case for most schools, the fact is that CPR is the best coach we could ask for or hope to realistically get. Yeah I get the BS about you have to shoot for the stars, but this is a very difficult school to win at in football and as much as I hate to think 7 wins is our very occasional peak, the reality is that most years we're probably going to sit at 4-5, maybe 6 wins with outlier years at 3 and 7 wins.

Being a realist doesn't make me complacent or a bad fan, it just means I've lived long enough to know what we're up against, what we can bring in for players and coaches, and what our competition is like. I'm as big of ISU homer as there is, but at my core I'm a realist and despite how much I love to see people think our ceiling is much higher, it just isn't.

Just about any coach you bring in is going to have some level of immediate success, but you can't keep switching coaches for those few good years the initial excitement brings. Do I like winning 3-5 games a year, no, but that's why I think our only long-term chance to improve is to have consistency and try new things using assistant coaches (ie Mangino).

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
While that would normally be the case for most schools, the fact is that CPR is the best coach we could ask for or hope to realistically get. Yeah I get the BS about you have to shoot for the stars, but this is a very difficult school to win at in football and as much as I hate to think 7 wins is our very occasional peak, the reality is that most years we're probably going to sit at 4-5, maybe 6 wins with outlier years at 3 and 7 wins.

Being a realist doesn't make me complacent or a bad fan, it just means I've lived long enough to know what we're up against, what we can bring in for players and coaches, and what our competition is like. I'm as big of ISU homer as there is, but at my core I'm a realist and despite how much I love to see people think our ceiling is much higher, it just isn't.

Just about any coach you bring in is going to have some level of immediate success, but you can't keep switching coaches for those few good years the initial excitement brings. Do I like winning 3-5 games a year, no, but that's why I think our only long-term chance to improve is to have consistency and try new things using assistant coaches (ie Mangino).

I didn't know that was a fact.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid
4-6, but I lean towards 6. Our offense will help our defense a lot more this year. Mangino is using us as a job interview and he is going to want to outscore anyone he faces.

Isn't this what every coach is trying to do?

I was in school for Walden's triple option extravaganza from '92-'95. I'm a bad person to respond to this question.

*see also: Messingham, Courtney

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I'm going to go with 3. We just don't have the players to compete against teams in the big 12. They need some time to develop, whats sad though is even when they develop our ceiling is like 7 wins at most...ahh being an ISU football fan. Hopefully we get a good upset this year though.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm going to go with 3. We just don't have the players to compete against teams in the big 12. They need some time to develop, whats sad though is even when they develop our ceiling is like 7 wins at most...ahh being an ISU football fan. Hopefully we get a good upset this year though.

That's what last year lacked was the signature CPR upset. I'd love to take out a highly-rated Oklahoma, Texas or Baylor this year. The fan base really needs a boost of energy again. Ever since the end of the first quarter of the Liberty Bowl, there hasn't been much to cheer about.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I predict a dominate 7 win tailgate season for me, filled with grilled and fried food items along with beers and whiskeys.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Honestly 3 wins for this guy but looking like they belong on the field and not the look alike charade of last season.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I say 4-8... NDSU, Toledo, KU, WVU
5-6 if we play really well, and pull an upset somewhere TCU/Texas.

The offense (hopefully) will keep us in games. If i've learned anything it's don't doubt Mangino. Look what he did with Kansas... KANSAS.
We do have quite a bit of talent on offense no doubt about it. I seriously think that he can get something out of our offense, if we have Average QB play there is no reason we can't score 30+ points a game. Below average, it's going to be a LOT like last year.

Defense. We suck. People are going to get 5 yards a pop with out even getting touched, who knows, maybe the youngins can step up and surprise us, stranger things have happened. Wally will have us ready each and game, I hope we blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz, and blitz some more, that's our hope.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
My expectations and what I think will happen are two different things. My expectations are 6+ wins every year period. With some 7,8,9s... What will happen? Well probably not anything that matches my expectations.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
The schedule is incredibly difficult, but with 7 home games, I think the Cyclones will get to 5 wins. But the best part, I think they will be among a handful of 5 win teams that makes it to a bowl. With additional bowls, and a few teams in trouble with APR, this is actually being predicted. I can definitely see Iowa State being a top choice among a bunch of 5-7 teams for a number of reasons. If that happens, then who knows, maybe the first team to ever win a bowl game and end up with a losing record? ... Hey, it could happen!!