what are you expectations for this season?

expectations this season

• 1-3 wins

Votes: 72 26.0%
  • 4-6 wins

Votes: 153 55.2%
  • 6+ wins

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • competitive in each game

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Tailgating should be fun regardless of wins

Votes: 18 6.5%

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I expect bowl eligibility at the very least every year. However, looking at it realistically this season, I vote for 4-6 wins.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I agree that TTU will be beatable late in the season at home, they have been terrible the last few years finishing their seasons

I know one thing though, Kingsbury will have the mom's pretty entertained...

But, I think we can beat Tech.

Honestly though, I have no real high expectations. I'm just planning on enjoying tailgating and looking forward to basketball again, a place where the W is expected.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
3 wins - I think we slip up against NDSU or Toledo (hoping not both). I think we are going to struggle mightily and I don't see more than 3 wins realistically. No win is guaranteed though.

Wins:

NDSU *1
Toledo *1
Kansas *2
West Virginia *2

*1 - Quite possible we slip up against one of the two.
*2 - If we win against Kansas, we likely beat WVU; if we lose to Kansas, we likely lose to WVU

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
3 wins - I think we slip up against NDSU or Toledo (hoping not both). I think we are going to struggle mightily and I don't see more than 3 wins realistically. No win is guaranteed though.

Wins:

NDSU *1
Toledo *1
Kansas *2
West Virginia *2

*2 - If we win against Kansas, we likely beat WVU; if we lose to Kansas, we likely lose to WVU

This is pretty much where I'm at. I can't see anymore than 4 wins on the schedule, and that's if they beat the teams you mentioned. Expecting them to win any of the other games at this point is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014

Wins:

NDSU *1
Toledo *1
Kansas *2
West Virginia *2
TCU*3
TECH*3
*3- We beat TCU, we will lose to Tech. We beat tech, we lose to tcu
FIFY

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Can I distinguish between hopes and expectations? I kinda expect somewhere around a .500 season--though it's kinda early to tell. I'll hope for a bit better than that.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
4-6, but I lean towards 6. Our offense will help our defense a lot more this year. Mangino is using us as a job interview and he is going to want to outscore anyone he faces.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I see 4 winnable games on the schedule, and I don't know that I can expect us to get them all, so 3-9 it is. Basketball school.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
This is pretty much where I'm at. I can't see anymore than 4 wins on the schedule, and that's if they beat the teams you mentioned. Expecting them to win any of the other games at this point is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I have UNI beating your Hawks so thats where I am at

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
if we have another 3 wins or less season again i think it would be time to find a new head coach

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Can someone fix the poll with another option: National Championship? But seriously, I'm thinking we might be better than people expect. I'll go with 7 wins:

NDSU
Toledo
Kansas
West Virginia
TCU
TECH
Oklahoma Upset Special

Heck, even Ok State might have some question marks around QB that they might not be able to overcome. I think of Mangino in much the same way I think of Hoiberg. A matchup exploiter. You'll see him use some of Ernst Brun and some of the more physical/big wide receivers (like D'Vario Montgomery) to exploit some matchups.

Things that can kill our season: not being able to stop the run down the middle (like last year) or injuries to Wimberly, Farniok, or Bundrage. I expect the defensive backs to be more experienced and improved this season and think the offensive line will give better protection to our QB's. That defensive line is what worries me, but if Mangino can muster some firepower that could mask our flaws.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
3-4 wins.

Often out-manned by average teams.

This Lazzard thing should be interesting.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Yes I'm aware of that. It shows how vast your football IQ is. I also remember offering to bet you about that game and you failed to respond.

Right, I probably know as much about Iowa as yourself. What are you looking to bet. Your almighty Hawks team did get beat my the MAC in game 1 last year, a MAC team that didnt even win their conference. You want to pull up more of Iowa's troubles to start the season?

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Wins against: UND, Toledo, Iowa, KU, KSU, WVU, TCU

Close against OSU, TTU, OU

Big losses against UT, BU

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
It's worth mentioning that even though the defense wasn't good last year, they pretty much had us in all but one game at halftime. If the offense could move the ball six wins may be within reach even if the defense is subpar.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
CPR has never in half a decade gotten us more than 3 big 12 wins.
My expectations are right around there until we get a QB that can really do damage.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
It will be a rebuilding year but CPR and staff will have then fired up enough for the magic 6 wins. I love our BB program but do NOT want to be anxious for that season to begin in October.