Well, he really, really hates the hire

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
He has to write something, it's what he does for a living. What others things are there to write about ISU at this juncture?

You are kidding . .right? He offends someone almost daily in the name of good journalism. The failed formula of an entry level columnist is to focus on the negative. Keeler is lazy and repetitive.

Also, I would to know, how many times a month does he trek up to ISU to interview an athlete, Jamie Pollard, or coach? The chances are . . he has burned every bridge to ISU during the past 10 years. Who at ISU would ever go out of their way to give an interview to Keeler??

He is NO friend to ISU. If you can't see that . .you are blind.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
I doubt he cares what anybody on here thinks

If true (and I doubt it) . . it would explain why newspapers and magazines are going out of business at a record clip. Any newspaper . .. better care .. if they want to stay in business. The old "we are the press" and can make a business of openly offending people, day in and out, is a formula for total failure.

I wonder how many Cyclone fans have cancelled subscriptions to the RAG? That number would keep a few more people employed by the Regisiter. But hey . .they don't care . . right? How foolish.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I thinks obvious most of the angry people in this thread didn't even read the article. Kind of a boring column, but nothing anti-ISU or Coach Hoiberg.

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think keeler and the Rag are getting exactly what they want from this, and then some.

He writes a lame little article about ISU, then one of our members with poor reading comprehension skills can't wait to run back here, fabricate a reactionary thread title and link the story.
A few hours later this thread has over 2600 views, and the Rag gets a lot of page views that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Whining about articles like that one is weak and only makes people ignore you when there actually IS something to gripe about in the future.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think keeler and the Rag are getting exactly what they want from this, and then some.

He writes a lame little article about ISU, the one of our members with poor reading comprehension skills can't wait to run back here, fabricate a reactionary thread title and link the story.
A few hours later this thread has over 2600 views, and the Rag gets a lot of page views that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Whining about articles like that one is weak and only makes people ignore you when there actually IS something to gripe about in the future.

Reasonable assessment, I would say.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Speaking of the DSM Register, I was asked to subscribe and given a free paper today. When asked what I was going to read in it, I replied "Nothing, but it makes good packing paper for some packages I have to ship this week. Needless to say, he didn't have a comeback for that.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I've read the article twice and can't find where Keeler - who imo is a 2nd-rate hack - says anything about really really hating the hire. In fact, in the article he makes the point of FH having NBA experience as both a player and in the front office as being a strong recruiting selling point.
Yeah, I'm scratching my head, too, about the strong reaction to this article. He really didn't say much. Certainly, nothing really critical.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Keeler is Keeler, the rag is the rag. This is why I don't waste my time or money on either.

As for the Fred hire, you had to know that people would be critical of it. I personally think it is a genius move, but no one without Cardinal and Gold colored glasses is going to see it that way.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
At best I'd say the article rehashed some 2 week old discussion with a few new names added in. At worst I'd say it's 2 minutes of my life I'm never getting back. I didn't see much "hate" out of Keeler, but I didn't see much point to the article either.

Throwing in the McDermott being a factor in recruiting at the end got a chuckle out of me however. Jacobsen? Absolutely. Phelps? Maybe. McDermott? Notsomuch. I suppose if he ever does beat us out for somebody we actually want we can just wait a year or two and get them after he flushes them out of Omaha.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

He writes a lame little article about ISU, then one of our members with poor reading comprehension skills can't wait to run back here, fabricate a reactionary thread title and link the story.

Yah . . that will work when they start charging for on line access to the Rag. How many people will plop down cash to read Keeler? They (the RAG) ignore paper subscriptions at their own financial peril.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Got that right.

ISUAg Grad

Dec 29, 2007
Corn Field
This just in keeler is a d-bag!!!! Oh wait that is not earth shatering news. Just like the fact that he doesn't like the hire. I think when the Rag hired Keeler they pulled the trigger to fast there were better candidates for the job.

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yah . . that will work when they start charging for on line access to the Rag. How many people will plop down cash to read Keeler? They (the RAG) ignore paper subscriptions at their own financial peril.

Nobody will pay to read Keeler.
Fading subscriptions are killing the newspaper industry anyway, so web content with ads is one of their few remaining revenue streams.
There are about 5 ads on that article and plenty of links to other Register content (with more ads). It's easy to track web traffic and set your ad rates accordingly.

As of right now, this thread has over 4200 views, and I'm guessing a decent amount of those people:
-Clicked on the link and read the story
-Wouldn't have otherwise checked out the Rag's site
-Were put in the unnatural position of actually defending Keeler

Slice it any way you want, but threads like this one do more to help the Rag than they hurt it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron