Weird call at the end of the game

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
IMO, both of the last games have been really poorly officiated, objectively on both ends. Jay Bilas talked at length about the poor officiating all across college basketball last weekend, although I think he focused more on player movement being impeded and the defense not being called for obvious fouls, but overall it's as bad as it's ever been.

I'm not usually one to bash the refs but that call, the final foul on Gabe, the 5 second calls, and the foul calls that put Nowell at the line were all pretty weak. Really poor officiating down the stretch

We've had some high-profile, crunch-time types of bad calls, but it's been bad across the board.

Reactions: exCYtable

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You can't grant a timeout when a player is in the air. This rule was changed years ago when everyone was doing it. Kissinger tried to cover his ass saying that he (Kissinger) whistled before the player jumped. But that is just admitting he is wrong, because you have to signal for a timeout not just ask for one.

Kissinger is a pile, but him coming over to Green and TJ at the whistle before Jazz goes to the line is dog ****. He was bating TJ or Green to blow up and that is an absolute no no. That guy has the quickest T whistle in the NCAA and was absolutely gutless today

Edit- I am really pissed about this, because TJ showed restraint I would not have if Kissinger was anywhere near me. My wife and Dog have even left me alone for a while. I can't remember when I have been so mad at something in an ISU win. The Case book not rule book explains this clearly
He pointed to the floor immediately so he said he called it dead. At most it should have been 10-15 seconds to decide if the signal was right or not and then said he called it too early (inadvertent) and fired it up. Why it took several minutes and then had to talk to Bruce Weber and then conference again is poor incompetence in their part. You called something, stand behind it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is wrong wrong wrong.

It doesn't have to be an inadvertent whistle. When a team doesn't have a timeout and the whistle is blown it isn't a timeout it is a T. If the whistle is blown when the player is in the air it isn't inadvertent it is a turnover.

This is where the case book comes into play and not just the rule book. Come at me Blum.

It was a terrible decision by Kipp Kissinger, and I really didn't like his smug ass walking over to TJ after the Walker got the steal and tried to bate TJ, that was horse ****. Kissinger should be sat down for a while especially when he thinks he is God and T's people quicker than any official

You can't grant a timeout when a player is in the air. This rule was changed years ago when everyone was doing it. Kissinger tried to cover his ass saying that he (Kissinger) whistled before the player jumped. But that is just admitting he is wrong, because you have to signal for a timeout not just ask for one.

Kissinger is a pile, but him coming over to Green and TJ at the whistle before Jazz goes to the line is dog ****. He was bating TJ or Green to blow up and that is an absolute no no. That guy has the quickest T whistle in the NCAA and was absolutely gutless today

Edit- I am really pissed about this, because TJ showed restraint I would not have if Kissinger was anywhere near me. My wife and Dog have even left me alone for a while. I can't remember when I have been so mad at something in an ISU win. The Case book not rule book explains this clearly

Can you elaborate on this? I lost my video connection right after Walker's steal and the foul so I didn't see it. What was an official trying to bait TJ into? The call went in our favor, and we were about to shoot free throws with under three seconds to play. We had it all but won.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Officiating is a travesty all across college basketball this year.
I went to a Drake game a few days ago and it's just as incompetent at that level. Drake would drive to the hoop every time and get hacked and the other team had 3 fouls the entire first half.

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017

The refs determine when they are granting timeout, the ref (I assume Kissinger) was trying to grant the player timeout before the player hit out of bounds. This is the incorrect call, I think we all agree on it. However, now you are stuck trying to determine who’s ball it is. Just reading between the lines, the other refs told Kissinger he can’t award that time out but since he granted it before the player landed, you can’t say he stepped out of bounds as the play is dead. There is no way to give Iowa State the ball since the TO was granted while K-Stste had the ball, they get possession. It was a BS initial call, and a bit of a cop out, but technically it was correct

I didn’t see any of the “baiting”, so idk what that is all about

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
You called something, stand behind it.

Uhhh what?

If this was the case refs would never get together to determine what the right call is i.e block vs. charge. SMH

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Agree. I don't know what the rule is there. The ref clearly didn't like the Gabe took a couple seconds to pick up the ball giving his team more time to set up for the inbounds play. However, that happens all the time. When does a ref decide he's going to start counting before the in-bounder touches the ball? I've never seen that before. Right after that happend TJ was talking to the ref about it (I'm assuming asking why the count was so fast) and then looked like he yelled at Gabe to pick up the ball right away.

If that's the rule, and the player needs to pick up the ball immediately, then enforce it. Don't just decide to suddenly enforce it with 30 seconds left in a tight game, then never do it again the rest of the year. Like I said, it is VERY common for the in-bounder to take his time picking up the ball in a situation like that. The ref just decided to start counting for us, because....why not?

My understanding has always been that a referee can basically start the clock when he or she decides to if the team throwing it in is stalling. But I agree, to enforce that in a close game, without precedent for doing it before, is ridiculous. The only way I could justify it for the officials is if Iowa State had been warned beforehand about taking too much time to pick up the ball.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Refs huddled for 10 minutes. Had know idea what to call. One whispered to the other two... Just give it to the home team.
That torked me more than the call. Gave KSU a free timeout without them having to use their last timeout. I thought for sure, KSU would have trouble and need a timeout and still have one since the refs huddled without charging the timeout.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Officiating is a travesty all across college basketball this year.
I went to a Drake game a few days ago and it's just as incompetent at that level. Drake would drive to the hoop every time and get hacked and the other team had 3 fouls the entire first half.
Officiating in the MVC has been atrocious more often than not for as long as I can remember. It's so bad that I'm happy when I see Hollywood Higgins calling a UNI game, since I've written a few times on this site how overrated I feel he is.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Go back and watch the replay.

Jazz Kunc gets fouled after we inbound with 2.9 seconds to play. K-State calls Time out. Towards the end of the huddle Kissinger comes up and starts talking to Green and then talks to TJ. Based on the look on that smug prick's face (Kipp) he ain't chatting about the weather in Iowa. He wants TJ to blow up so he can call a T.

Honestly if you don't know what it looks like when an official or an umpire is baiting (sorry for the misspelling earlier) a coach then you won't recognize this. Seemed pretty clear to me

Last edited:

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
My understanding has always been that a referee can basically start the clock when he or she decides to if the team throwing it in is stalling. But I agree, to enforce that in a close game, without precedent for doing it before, is ridiculous. The only way I could justify it for the officials is if Iowa State had been warned beforehand about taking too much time to pick up the ball.
Do we know if refs count aloud so the players can hear or is player supposed to watch refs arm swinging? I honestly don’t know

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
The refs ****** up and needed a cop out.

If it was an inadvertent whistle it should have been ISU's ball since the KSU guy landing out of bounds.
The refs were trying to keep KSU in the game for sure! Another piss pour job by the three blind refs!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The refs determine when they are granting timeout, the ref (I assume Kissinger) was trying to grant the player timeout before the player hit out of bounds. This is the incorrect call, I think we all agree on it. However, now you are stuck trying to determine who’s ball it is. Just reading between the lines, the other refs told Kissinger he can’t award that time out but since he granted it before the player landed, you can’t say he stepped out of bounds as the play is dead. There is no way to give Iowa State the ball since the TO was granted while K-Stste had the ball, they get possession. It was a BS initial call, and a bit of a cop out, but technically it was correct

I didn’t see any of the “baiting”, so idk what that is all about
Horrible call, but instead of huddling up for 10 minutes, how come they never came over and watched the replay? They have sound on those replays, so they could tell, when the office blows his whistle and clearly see the KSU player had control and was falling out of bounce when he signaled for the timeout which is illegal.

Hopefully the league reminds all officials about the rules this week, and chews the crew for calling it wrong, not looking a the tape, and then after talking, making the wrong call in the end.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Horrible call, but instead of huddling up for 10 minutes, how come they never came over and watched the replay? They have sound on those replays, so they could tell, when the office blows his whistle and clearly see the KSU player had control and was falling out of bounce when he signaled for the timeout which is illegal.

Hopefully the league reminds all officials about the rules this week, and chews the crew for calling it wrong, not looking a the tape, and then after talking, making the wrong call in the end.

That’s a good question, but what could they really review? Once the timeout is granted is a dead ball so anything that happens after it doesn’t count. In the end I think they made the right a call, a stupid one, but the right one.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
It’s unfortunate (or fortunate) this call happened in a game where TJ couldn’t risk picking up a T. That call was completely worthy of going full Bobby Knight chair throwing.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6