Weekly Defend the Basketball team thread

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why all the mad fans about where the program is going? I guess I am the only one that thinks this team is much better now than it was at the start of the season.
How much has Jiri and Clark improved with having McD as their coach? Dont you think the rest of the players that will be back next year will improve a lot between now and the start of next year?
Two weeks ago there was talk this team could finish 6th in the conference, now you are all pissed that they are going to finish 11th.
The players look to be getting the system and that will pay off big time next year.
I dont call the problems excuses most of them are facts.
You cannot compair this rebulid to any other rebuild, just because coach A does good in year one doesnt mean coach B has to match that success. Different coaches get delt different hands.
There are 4 players on this team that played on last years, there will be 7 on next years team with experence.

Look back at the season. Count the games this team was in late. How many games are there that the team hit a rough streach in that cost them the game? Experence, another shooter, and another ball handler would have helped these problems.

I feel there are a few things this team can do better, but most of it will get better with playing time. Next years team will be better, there is no way it shouldnt be. Jiri and Clark will be gone but there is a lot of upside to the players coming back, there are some talented new comers that will be in the system (has McD lied about the abality of any player yet?). There will be more experence and depth.

But I guess I am the only one that sees those things.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
After we beat Kansas tomorrow, all will be well:wink:

But no, you are definately not the only one.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
I'm on board, the glass is half full, not half empty.....:smile:

We could also use some luck....just a little....

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I agree 100%!!!
I don't know why there are so many debbie downers. This team is doing exactly as well as we should have expected them to do at the beginning of the season. The future is bright for ISU.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Cue Cyclone#1 here in 3....2....1....to tell us how the talent we have coming in next year can't handle the rigors of the big 12 because a similar person of the same size in a different conference that scored, rebounded, stole, assisted about the same as some of incoming recruits sucked as a freshman and sophomore.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
And I'm number 3. Before the season everyone was talking about a 15 win season at best. Now many are calling for Mac's head. If this makes sense I don't get it. This team was all but dead after the Morgan mess, with the majority of the team leaving. We were left with next to nothing. The Coachs started with very little and have had to build from there. Two years is not enough time to judge the coaching. This team is better than last years and I feel we will improve again next year. No we're not going to win the big 12 but we will see progress. Calm down folks its not as if we're Kansas, UCLA, Duke or UNC.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm here too...evidently people thought McDermott was joking when he said, "If you want a quick fix, you've got the wrong guy,"...because I didn't hear all the whining and bashing then...not sure what people that are ripping Greg were expecting out of this year given our circumstances.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm here too...evidently people thought McDermott was joking when he said, "If you want a quick fix, you've got the wrong guy,"...because I didn't hear all the whining and bashing then...not sure what people that are ripping Greg were expecting out of this year given our circumstances.

Very correct. And we're only into year 2 of his tenure. Patience pays...

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
And I'm number 3. Before the season everyone was talking about a 15 win season at best. Now many are calling for Mac's head. If this makes sense I don't get it. This team was all but dead after the Morgan mess, with the majority of the team leaving. We were left with next to nothing. The Coachs started with very little and have had to build from there. Two years is not enough time to judge the coaching. This team is better than last years and I feel we will improve again next year. No we're not going to win the big 12 but we will see progress. Calm down folks its not as if we're Kansas, UCLA, Duke or UNC.

And with this kind of attitude...we never will be. I guess most of you either never had any hope or have given up hope that ISU can be a dominant national player in BB (or FB). The satisfaction with mediocrity and excuse making is so prevalent on this site that I find it disturbing as a Cyclone fan.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm with you. Most people who have a clue about basketball here and have actually WATCHED most of the games this year can see the improvement in this team. The key for next year is keeping EVERYONE on board and not losing anyone to transfer.

dornstar44

Apr 10, 2006
Wichita, KS
I think that people need to realize this is a process that is going to take several steps. I would love to be on par with Kansas, Duke, Carolina, etc. But first, we need to get back on par with Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and all the other schools that we've historically competed closely with. After that, then it becomes realistic to expect to compete with the big boys (KU, Texas) and then, if we can accomplish that, we can start thinking about powerhouse status. It's ridiculous and unrealistic to think that ISU can be a national title contender right now - that doesn't mean that it will never happen, but there's a lot of steps to climb between where we are and where that level is. I want to see continued improvement over the next 2-3 years, to the point where we are consistently in the upper half of the conference and consistently in the NCAA's. Anyone who wants to look beyond that at this point is getting ahead of themselves in a big way.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I honestly don't see a lot of improvement and I think the team is underperforming. But it is what it is I guess.

Help Support Us

Become a patron