Weekly Defend the Basketball team thread

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Year 2 and we have had a lot of players leave for whatever reason they like. Give him a break, we are a lot better now. Now if Brackins would come around we would be pretty solid.

*note that many of those players that left ISU are making significant contributions at other D1 schools now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've said this before, but please don't quote #1 for those of us who are ignoring him. ;)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Play forty.

Most teams in the country improve from non conference to conference as they hustle more to win. Frankly, they need to pick up their game in the conference seaqson. Jiri has done it for two years. DG is looking better but needs to go further. SH and BP are shining. Rashon is giving it his all. AT looks more confident. Cam Lee came out of nowhere. Yes we are better. We should be beteter than start of the season. We are making less turnovers, guards are rebounding, some different people are making shots.

The same could be said for last year in the last four games. Corey McIntosh played very well at the end. Mike was less out of control. Jiri was taking it to the rim. Wesley was rebounding well.

We can win 19 or 14. We are good enough to go for 19 wins but we need better performances from a couple of players going through hard times. No reason not to have those players to have great games tonight on national TV. Hey, this is the BIG ONE tonight for the Clones.

Play Forty.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Tasheed Carr:
Season AveragesSEASONMINPTSREBASTTOA/TSTLBLKPFFG%FT%3P%PPS2004-200518.55.82.21.41.21.19.9.01.6.372.689.3411.102005-200616.95.02.31.01.5.721.0.01.7.333.733.1581.042006-2007Did not play.2007-200833.611.04.46.23.02.061.9.02.6.461.677.3591.30
Farnold Degand:
Season AveragesSEASONMINPTSREBASTTOA/TSTLBLKPFFG%FT%3P%PPS2005-2006Did not play.2006-2007Did not play.2007-200828.66.93.22.91.91.53.6.51.6.471.500.5001.35

P' Allen Stinnett:
Season AveragesSEASONMINPTSREBASTTOA/TSTLBLKPFFG%FT%3P%PPS2007-200823.312.33.42.02.3.841.7.22.6.457.798.3231.29
How much could ISU benefit from having these guys at the guard spot? That is not including Taggert too!

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Play forty.

Most teams in the country improve from non conference to conference as they hustle more to win. Frankly, they need to pick up their game in the conference seaqson. Jiri has done it for two years. DG is looking better but needs to go further. SH and BP are shining. Rashon is giving it his all. AT looks more confident. Cam Lee came out of nowhere. Yes we are better. We should be beteter than start of the season. We are making less turnovers, guards are rebounding, some different people are making shots.

The same could be said for last year in the last four games. Corey McIntosh played very well at the end. Mike was less out of control. Jiri was taking it to the rim. Wesley was rebounding well.

We can win 19 or 14. We are good enough to go for 19 wins but we need better performances from a couple of players going through hard times. No reason not to have those players to have great games tonight on national TV. Hey, this is the BIG ONE tonight for the Clones.

Play Forty.
I just heard GMac on the radio, saying we have yet to play 40 all year. He said that was our biggest weakness.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Did he say what he, as the coach of the team, is doing to rectify this situation?

He has said in the past things like finishing games comes with experence. I am sure he is working on ways to solve the problem. I dont think he is sitting back and thinking playing 30 mins of a game is good enough for me.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Did he say what he, as the coach of the team, is doing to rectify this situation?

I forgot he did do an interview the other day where he said he was just going to have his Fairy Godmother come and wave her magic wand to fix the problem.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
My point is that this reminds me a little of the tactic Ross Perot used in running for President back in 92. You feel good when he says this...he recognizes the problem. However, recognizing the problem(s) is the easy part...Ross Perot was good at that, sounds like McDermott is good at that, and we on this board are pretty good at that.

What we need is the coach to be able to do a little more than just opine on the failings of the team that are easy to see. As the coach he is being payed handsomely to take actions that will make us a winner. If I had the honor of interviewing him I would focus on finding out what actions he is undertaking to improve our situation and not just let him recite our problems back to us.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What we need is the coach to be able to do a little more than just opine on the failings of the team that are easy to see. As the coach he is being payed handsomely to take actions that will make us a winner. If I had the honor of interviewing him I would focus on finding out what actions he is undertaking to improve our situation and not just let him recite our problems back to us.

I think he is trying to make the team a winner, he is not just cashing a paycheck, trying to screw ISU.

Have you ever heard him do an interview or talk?

I am glad you wouldnt let him talk about the teams problems, you do a good enough job at talking about the problem and thinking each one is going to doom the program.

When did you join the team anyway?

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Our biggest problem is by far our offense. If we could, you know, not be a sub-300 team nationally shooting the 3, and not be dead last in the conference in FG%, 2ptFG%, 3ptFG%, eFG% and PPWS, I bet things would be going slightly better. Our defense has been pretty good except for the inability to guard the three.

If and when we have that game when our three's drop and theirs don't we can win. Let's hope that's tonight.

That's also why I'm excited to see what Staiger and Eikmeier can do next year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And with this kind of attitude...we never will be. I guess most of you either never had any hope or have given up hope that ISU can be a dominant national player in BB (or FB). The satisfaction with mediocrity and excuse making is so prevalent on this site that I find it disturbing as a Cyclone fan.
We will also never get to that level by changing out coaches every two years. Actually, that makes that level of success far, far less likely. You get to that level by hiring a solid coach and staying behind him while he builds the program up the right way.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We will also never get to that level by changing out coaches every two years. Actually, that makes that level of success far, far less likely. You get to that level by hiring a solid coach and staying behind him while he builds the program up the right way.

But why should we have to wait? Us Cyclone fans deserve a coach that can win and win big in year one, or at the very worst by the end of year two. Damn anything that happened in the years preceding his tenure or the fact that he had very little talent to deal with from the beginning - that point is moot. The point is the coach should win now, not a year or two from now, because we are Cyclone fans and it's our God-given right to have a coach come in and turn a gutted program around overnight :skeptical:

/rant
/post dripping with sarcasm

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I honestly don't see a lot of improvement and I think the team is underperforming. But it is what it is I guess.

Seriously? You don't thnk Peterson, Haluska, Jiri, and Garrett have gotten any better since the beginning of the season? What do you expect when our best player (Wes) has been hurt/sick for a good portion of the season, and we've got several walk-ons playing significant minutes? I'm not thrilled with how the season has gone, but I'm not surprised.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
If I had the honor of interviewing him I would focus on finding out what actions he is undertaking to improve our situation and not just let him recite our problems back to us.
He has a office at the Hilton Center, quit being such a chicken go knock on his door and ask....?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Recruiting a bunch of non-athletes who can stand and shoot 3's might work in the MVC but not the Big12. I think we need to be multi-dimensional: capitalizing on rebounding, transition points, inside drives/feeds, take aways, etc.. otherwise, you'll never see us getting more than 4 to 7 wins a year in the Big12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron