We have Coach Dresser, now what about his assistants??

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
BTW, yes there is bad blood twixt TnT and Zadick. Im speculating here but I think the reason is simply a personality issue. Oil & water. Pretty much thats it. I dont think TnT and Z jived as personalities. Zadick is very aloof. He's kind of a mountain man and a different sorta cat. And all 3 are crazy so that didn't help!
With those qualities how can Tom brands get along with Daniel Dennis but not Mike Zaddick?

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Now that we have the right man for the job, I have to wonder as to who he will bring in/keep on as his assistants? I would imagine a lot depends on whether or not VTech decides to promote the current staff from interim to permanent or look outside the program.

If VTech decides to bring in a new head coach, would Coach Dresser bring his staff to our campus? They certainly have figured out how to run a program together. It makes sense if that scenario is what plays out. The downside to that is that it doesn't leave room for any former Clones on the staff. So, for this situation, let's say VTech keeps the staff in place and Coach Dresser builds a new one here.

I won't even begin to try to second guess our new coach but, if possible, I would like to see a few former Clones be considered for a position on the team's staff, such as Reader, Varner, or Zabriskie.

Thoughts?
Would love if he brought in Reader, but doubt it will happen. However, I doubted Pollard would bring in Dresser, so it's possible. For now, I will trust that Dresser knows the types of assistants he needs to be successful. I will assume he can piece together a pretty good staff. As someone else mentioned, I hope he digs deeper and gets a strength and conditioning coach that will make an impression on us as well. However, if I recall correctly, isn't the S&C coach shared among a few sports?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Would love if he brought in Reader, but doubt it will happen. However, I doubted Pollard would bring in Dresser, so it's possible. For now, I will trust that Dresser knows the types of assistants he needs to be successful. I will assume he can piece together a pretty good staff. As someone else mentioned, I hope he digs deeper and gets a strength and conditioning coach that will make an impression on us as well. However, if I recall correctly, isn't the S&C coach shared among a few sports?
Personally I'm expecting KD to run a more structured program that will make everyone work harder and be more accountable. That alone will result in S&C gains. I cannot ever remember watching a VT wrestler and thinking that they were out of shape or weak for their weight. I've heard some quotes from very successful college basketball coaches that they feel coaching at the high school level should be a prerequisite to college because it was a huge factor in their success in learning how to develop players.

Reactions: csteve

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
He was fired by Brands. I don't want him here out of spite, he is a great recruiter, and coach!

Same, I'm not concerned with hiring an "anti-Brands" staff. Like Dresser - the fact that has has a beef with Brands is a plus, but it isn't why I'm glad we hired him. Get the best staff available and if they happen to be guys that Brands has pissed off that's cool. And if they happen to be guys that have no opinion about Brands at all that's also cool.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I think Reader could be a helluva hire but as you state, I think we put faith in him to bring in who he wants.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Now that we have a Head Coach, the rest of the process has me more curious.
1. Who will be the assistants - Robie, Zadick, Travis, Trent, Angel, St John or somebody like Reader or somebody totally different

2. What Iowa State recruits recommit and will any transfer out?

3. What Virginia Tech recruits will decommit and will any on team transfer in?

4. Will Dance or Devin Carter want to join CWC for senior level wrestling?
a. Will Earl also stay with CWC?
If so, I would think CWC is going to need some money. With the momentum rolling, we will need the fan base to step up and join CWC. All will help

http://cyclonewrestlingclub.org/

5. Also does Dana Vote have his job or does he need to re interview also. Just took the job at the beginning of the season

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Now that we have a Head Coach, the rest of the process has me more curious.
1. Who will be the assistants - Robie, Zadick, Travis, Trent, Angel, St John or somebody like Reader or somebody totally different

2. What Iowa State recruits recommit and will any transfer out?

3. What Virginia Tech recruits will decommit and will any on team transfer in?

4. Will Dance or Devin Carter want to join CWC for senior level wrestling?
a. Will Earl also stay with CWC?
If so, I would think CWC is going to need some money. With the momentum rolling, we will need the fan base to step up and join CWC. All will help

http://cyclonewrestlingclub.org/

5. Also does Dana Vote have his job or does he need to re interview also. Just took the job at the beginning of the season
1. I'd be shocked if Robie came along for the ride. He is likely one of the leaders for the VT or Pitt HC openings. As for the others, I think it's anyone's guess.

2. Have to think it makes the new recruits think hard about ISU again. Not sure what other schools were in contention for the recruits that asked for their release. I do think it makes it difficult for Dresser to sell them on ISU if he can't share with them who his assistants will be. The 30 day window may close before Dresser is able to name his staff? Since he is not on the payroll until after nationals, he might be on his own to attempt to retain them.

3. I would be okay with a current VT commit or current wrestler transferring in. That said, I want our program to be respected. I do not want future success "tainted" by other fans claiming we robbed VT for our own success.

4. I guess current VT wrestlers might consider CWC if they have a strong relationship with Dresser. However, one of the only knocks on Dresser is his lack of international freestyle experience. I doubt he alone will attract elite wrestlers to CWC.

5. I think Dana would have the opportunity to interview with Dresser, but think everyone involved with the current program better have their resume's polished.

Reactions: Cyk Aboody

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Agree on Robie, I think he ends up with the VT job.

Dresser I think starts tomorrow, just not coaching the team. I heard he is meeting with Iowa State assistants and etc starting tomorrow. Not sure when the actual salary starts, but would think he will be talking with wrestlers and recruits immediately.

I agree with not wanting to ruin VT program and think if Robie stays at VT many will stay put.

They do have a junior recruit in Mitch Moore (#18 overall and a 141) and I think his brother is a freshman at VT at 141 and 25-7. But not a lot of need there unless someone leaves

I agree that Dresser doesn't have a lot of freestyle experience. The only guy on VT RTC is Devin Carter, that is why I think he could fit in with CWC. But it takes money.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So positions available are
Associate Head Coach (top assistant) (Currently Travis)
2nd Assistant (Currently Trent)
Volunteer Coach (currently Angel)
Director of Operations (currently Dana Vote)
CWC Club coach (not sure how that position works) (Currently Trent)
Strength & Conditioning (not sure if that is open) (currently Beau)

MyronDamMixon

Jul 19, 2016
Watch closely to who VT hire's. If it's not a big time name I could see both Moore boy's heading to Ames.

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
The younger One will be a 133 he's not that big a lot of guys wrestle up a weight class or 2 for competition and go lower in college I think fix has wrestled 138 for an extensive period of time before and he's stated he plans to go 125 in college just like Gomez

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Do you all think it's important to have an ISU guy on the staff? To keep the ISU "way" in the cerebral cortex? A guy who can be a bridge between KD and the ISU universe. Someone to link the old and the new for a better tomorrow?;) Based on a question I asked earlier I wonder if 1 or both Paulsons will be retained? If Iowa hired one of them when Mstall leaves I'll be jumping for joy. If for no other reason recruiting. Somebody on KJ's staff was a HELL of a recruiter. Who was he and do you let him go??
I think the "ISU way" was passed from Harold Nichols to Dan Gable to Kevin Dresser. We don't need it from an assistant. Just get the best out there. Heck Nichols learned from Cliff Keen who was mentored by Gallagher at OK State.

AGRCyclone

Mar 23, 2010
Long time looker, first time poster...Just throwing another name I haven't heard, maybe it's not an option due to him still competing but what about Tony Ramos? Is he still at North Carolina ? Seems like he would fit the mold and be a good light weight guy If Dresser cleans house and starts over...and he left unhappy with Brands....would also welcome zadick and st.john...just my 2 cents!
I'll throw another question out there-anyone think KJ stays on with CWC to help the international side of things?? Maybe that's a better fit for his pedigree....

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Long time looker, first time poster...Just throwing another name I haven't heard, maybe it's not an option due to him still competing but what about Tony Ramos? Is he still at North Carolina ? Seems like he would fit the mold and be a good light weight guy If Dresser cleans house and starts over...and he left unhappy with Brands....would also welcome zadick and st.john...just my 2 cents!
I'll throw another question out there-anyone think KJ stays on with CWC to help the international side of things?? Maybe that's a better fit for his pedigree....

I'd hate to see Ramos. He was a classless bully on the mat and when things didn't go his way at the Olympic trials he blamed everyone but himself.

Reactions: Scott34