We have Coach Dresser, now what about his assistants??

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
Now that we have the right man for the job, I have to wonder as to who he will bring in/keep on as his assistants? I would imagine a lot depends on whether or not VTech decides to promote the current staff from interim to permanent or look outside the program.

If VTech decides to bring in a new head coach, would Coach Dresser bring his staff to our campus? They certainly have figured out how to run a program together. It makes sense if that scenario is what plays out. The downside to that is that it doesn't leave room for any former Clones on the staff. So, for this situation, let's say VTech keeps the staff in place and Coach Dresser builds a new one here.

I won't even begin to try to second guess our new coach but, if possible, I would like to see a few former Clones be considered for a position on the team's staff, such as Reader, Varner, or Zabriskie.

Thoughts?

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
Why change what he has going? I say bring Zadick and St Johns along if that's who Dresser wants to have.
I'm not arguing that at all. I'm just asking what if they decide to stay at VTech, then how would you like to see the staff play out. Purely a wish list, that's all.

MyronDamMixon

Jul 19, 2016
Honest question, what do you guys think of Escobito as an assist.? Is he an up and comer? I dont know much about him as a coach/ recruiter. And who recruited Allar, Verkleeran, Gomez, Colbray etc.? If that was one guy (??) KD should consider him. The fact that ISU could recruit like that in the face of mediocrity under KJ is a true testament to the program ISU is.

Reactions: 6scrapper7

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Most are Paulson recruits. Leisure, Verkleeren, Allar, Storr and Parker. Angel probably had a part in Gomez.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
zadick-beard.jpg

giphy.gif

Zadick:

3 Time All American (7th, 3rd, 7th)
149 lb Big 10 Champ
2006 Silver Medal World Championships
2007 Silver Medal Pan Am

Little tid bit for the readers not too familiar Mike Zadick's brother Bill is the head coach for the USA Freestyle team.

Derek-St-John-004.jpg

Derek St. John

4 Time All American (4th, 2nd, 1st, 5th)
157lb Big 10 Champ

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyk Aboody

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
How does the $300,000 base salary compare to wrestling coaches nationally? Is this a raise for KD? Is Cael highest paid?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is Derek St John a volunteer coach and still competing on senior level?

I wonder if
staff would include the Paulsons or Angel to bridge the cap and also the freestyle part of the equation with CWC.

I think a lot depends if Zadick stays at VT or leaves.

St John hasn't been coaching very long and don't think he is ready for head assistant.

Not sure who outside of VT and Iowa State staffs that Dresser would look at.

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
How does the $300,000 base salary compare to wrestling coaches nationally? Is this a raise for KD? Is Cael highest paid?
Although I can't be 100% positive on this, it probably puts him in the #3 spot currently from what I found:
Cael Sanderson - $175,000-500,000+?
Tom Brands - $359,033
Kevin Dresser- $321,428
John Smith - $310,320
Tom Ryan - $264,159
Mark Manning - $192,065

Something tells me there are going to be a few salary reviews at a few schools.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Is Derek St John a volunteer coach and still competing on senior level?

I wonder if
staff would include the Paulsons or Angel to bridge the cap and also the freestyle part of the equation with CWC.

I think a lot depends if Zadick stays at VT or leaves.

St John hasn't been coaching very long and don't think he is ready for head assistant.

Not sure who outside of VT and Iowa State staffs that Dresser would look at.

I think he will give Angel and the Paulson's a serious look especially if it means Gomez or Allar would stay, although I think Allar is gone.

Robie will probably be HC at VT so that will leave at least one open position. I think St.John is a volunteer coach at best. Don't know what Zadick will do but I have mixed feelings about him coming to Ames. I know he is a fairly polarizing character within the wrestling community.

MyronDamMixon

Jul 19, 2016
Do you all think it's important to have an ISU guy on the staff? To keep the ISU "way" in the cerebral cortex? A guy who can be a bridge between KD and the ISU universe. Someone to link the old and the new for a better tomorrow?;) Based on a question I asked earlier I wonder if 1 or both Paulsons will be retained? If Iowa hired one of them when Mstall leaves I'll be jumping for joy. If for no other reason recruiting. Somebody on KJ's staff was a HELL of a recruiter. Who was he and do you let him go??

MyronDamMixon

Jul 19, 2016
BTW, yes there is bad blood twixt TnT and Zadick. Im speculating here but I think the reason is simply a personality issue. Oil & water. Pretty much thats it. I dont think TnT and Z jived as personalities. Zadick is very aloof. He's kind of a mountain man and a different sorta cat. And all 3 are crazy so that didn't help!

Cyk Aboody

Feb 20, 2017
BTW, yes there is bad blood twixt TnT and Zadick. Im speculating here but I think the reason is simply a personality issue. Oil & water. Pretty much thats it. I dont think TnT and Z jived as personalities. Zadick is very aloof. He's kind of a mountain man and a different sorta cat. And all 3 are crazy so that didn't help!

Aloof?! I have met him a couple of times, and he was very polite, and friendly. He is definitely more colorful then any of the assistants we have now.....which is much needed as far as I'm concerned!

MyronDamMixon

Jul 19, 2016
Aloof is a personal take. I have met him as well. I think hes a diff. cat but I agree hes polite and cordial. Did you think under the surface he seems like a private sorta person? Ive heard this before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron