We did not deserve to win

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
I've seen this in football for fifty years.

I absoulutely disagree with kicking the last field goal based on the score and time combination.

Up three, inside the five, go for it on fourth down. You're holding all the cards, play them.

I couldn't agree more. One thing I have heard all the media and a lot of fans say is "when we scored a FG to make it a 6 point lead at the end, I didn't feel good, etc...". You know why? Because that is what happens to ISU. We want to take that next step, we have to take shots. Whether we are up 3 (missing a TD on 4th down) or up 6 by making the FG, Texas still needs a TD and XP to win. So, did we really gain anything by it?

The hail mary was one play, albeit a huge play. And usually a team that does that comes out with 2nd half momentum. I thought we responded well in the 2nd half to it. Hell, we had a shot too at the end of the game. You could tell, though, that we had not practiced much of that type of situation. Half of our receivers didn't run a route and half tried to. We're a young team and it really showed at that point.

I like the progress of this young team through 4 games. We're going to win a few more this year. I don't know if we get to 6, but if these coaches can continue the development over the next couple years, I believe the next few years will be a lot of fun.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sorry, but this is asinine. The correct call on the fumble wins the game, regardless of anything that happened up to that point.

Agreed, I hate that people are saying ISU didn't deserve to win this game. Had the officials made the appropriate call on the last play and ISU wins are people still saying ISU didn't deserve to win it? Nothing changes except the win/loss result. ISU has won many games with just as many or more penalties, turnovers, questionable play calls, etc. Did we not deserve to win those?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
All I saw was a Texas team that needed PI calls and a missed fumble call to beat lowly ISU. That's right TEXAS was the team that needed the breaks. Against an ISU team that played far from perfect.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
All I saw was a Texas team that needed PI calls and a missed fumble call to beat lowly ISU. That's right TEXAS was the team that needed the breaks. Against an ISU team that played far from perfect.
To be fair, I think there was only one that shouldn't have been called. Another one was defensive holding but they called PI so it didn't matter.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Just now responding to this thread, we definitely deserved that win. The team played such a great game and the coaches had such a great gameplan. We were clearly the better team all game (stats show it too). The team overcame the worst officiated game I have ever watched (bad spots, missed calls, and wrong calls).

Firm believer in the Big 12 conspiracy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sorry, but this is asinine. The correct call on the fumble wins the game, regardless of anything that happened up to that point.

If someone can't understand or agree with this post above by Cyclonepride...they're just not an intelligent person.

Can a self-induced delusional mindset like the OP help cope with disappointment? Sure, quite effectively. Does it make any rational sense at all? No, it is entirely illogical nonsense for reasons others have already pointed out. An attitude like the OP is often an attempt to be macho or mature, but it just comes off as delusional.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Texas didn't deserve to win. You don't deserve to win when you get a team held to 3rd and nine at their own 3 and give up a TD on the play.

That was probably as big or even a bigger gaffe. Anyone can play that game.

This. Holy Cow.

You CANNOT make the logical argument that Iowa State didn't deserve to win that game WITHOUT saying Texas didn't deserve it either...This thread is just dumb to get all apathetic on solely ISU's part.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I agree that this thread is stupid. Iowa State played so much better than Texas. Texas had one good run, one hail marry pass, and a couple of drives aided by the refs. Texas did almost nothing to deserve the win.