Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Sure is hard to tell even with his significant snaps that he's had. One game I thought he looked very promising, another game I thought he was very inaccurate with his throws. Only time will tell I guess. Tools seem to be there. Although we don't hear much about the intangibles, what his leadership level is, etc. I guess until it's 'his time' that would be hard to access.

I would think rhythm is what would play a big part here. Additionally, when Dekkers has gotten in, the game has already been in hand (except for Iowa). The play calling may be more specific to what they want Dekkers to practice rather than trying to move the ball as you normally would. The entire offense could have a different look next year based on the strengths of the players. Dekkers is a very different beast than Brock Purdy - He's a big body, with a big arm and is very athletic for his size.

Of course we'll all have to wait and see when he gets his first start (against SE Missouri State) next year. But I'm excited to see what he (and the rest of the team) bring next year.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
For those more “in the know” than me, how will the OL look next year? Is there talent that is not listed on the two deeps (redshirts)? This area, to me at least, is as important (or more) than the skilled position depth.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
For those more “in the know” than me, how will the OL look next year? Is there talent that is not listed on the two deeps (redshirts)? This area, to me at least, is as important (or more) than the skilled position depth.

The biggest hole to fill is probably Newell but otherwise there will be lots of returnees with experience. Given the O-line has been underwhelming this year (probably my biggest disappointment outside of STs this year) I wouldn't expect much, if any drop off. Lots of talent everywhere (RB, Receiver, TE, DBs) but dline, LB, and QB are probably the biggest talent hits on paper. Also hard to replace the dependability of a guy like Kolar even if we have talent on the roster.

Assuming McD goes pro, I think he and Rose are easily the most irreplaceable guys on the roster. With that said, especially given our history, we are in really good shape considering who we lose to graduation/draft.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Man looking at that we lose so much talent. Next year could be rough

If ZRF is optimistic, we should be really really good next year :D

Joking aside, we're as deep of a team as we've ever had. Yes we lose a lot of guys this year, but we'll have B12 ready players at every position. I think it's very reasonable for next years team to make it to a bowl game - how's that for a rebuild/down year at ISU? :cool:

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020

Joking aside, we're as deep of a team as we've ever had. Yes we lose a lot of guys this year, but we'll have B12 ready players at every position. I think it's very reasonable for next years team to make it to a bowl game - how's that for a rebuild/down year at ISU? :cool:

Totally agree. I think next year will be eerily similar to the 2019 season. Lose a decent amount of Close games due to the inexperience, but show that the talent is set up to have a fun 2023 season.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

We lose a ton of talent. No way we can be as good as this year with the guys we are losing. We may make a bowl game but we lose a ton of talent.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Drew Brees never had a strong arm either.

What made Brees was his vision, quick release, and accuracy. People want to talk about Mahomes' arm (he certainly has one), but his vision (ability to see the field) and accuracy are what's made him a star. I

Brock lacks vision, anticipation, and consistent accuracy (especially on the deep ball). His arm is a "problem". It's not not close to being his biggest.
None of those things are true.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Biggest question mark to me is pass rusher assuming McDonald goes pro. ISU just hasn't had guys like Bailey and McDonald all that often and they have really been able to make the 3-3-5 work by generating good pressure without too much help from blitzing. Really hope Zach Peterson returns but, even if he does, he's not an "off the edge" guy. Hopefully Jayden Gray (current true frosh) or R Mason Thomas are ready to go.

Could also be a spot to use more of a LEO and have a 4-2-5 look and have a linebacker always coming off the edge. Could slot in R Mason Thomas to that role eventually or get lucky and have Vance come back and have him rush more frequently or even see McLaughlin play that role. Either way, our defense has guys picking up lots of snaps that will be ready for their turn, I just see this as a big open spot that may require Heacock being more creative to get pressure home.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'm not bitter at all although I would say I'm disappointed in his lack of progress throughout his career here. I don't necessary think he's improved much over the last 3 years, though (admittedly) his Sophomore injury may have contributed some to that.

The one thing he HAS thankfully improved on is throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He used to do that ALL the time.

You may want to check his completion percentage and compare it to the rest of the qbs in college football. Before you say it’s because he is good at the short And underneath routes, well no **** those are easier throws.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Biggest question mark to me is pass rusher assuming McDonald goes pro. ISU just hasn't had guys like Bailey and McDonald all that often and they have really been able to make the 3-3-5 work by generating good pressure without too much help from blitzing. Really hope Zach Peterson returns but, even if he does, he's not an "off the edge" guy. Hopefully Jayden Gray (current true frosh) or R Mason Thomas are ready to go.

Could also be a spot to use more of a LEO and have a 4-2-5 look and have a linebacker always coming off the edge. Could slot in R Mason Thomas to that role eventually or get lucky and have Vance come back and have him rush more frequently or even see McLaughlin play that role. Either way, our defense has guys picking up lots of snaps that will be ready for their turn, I just see this as a big open spot that may require Heacock being more creative to get pressure home.
I've been shocked at how little buzz McDonald has gotten from the draft media apparatus. He's an incredible athlete who has also been really productive and is generating a ton of pressure this year. As per usual, if he gets info that he'll be drafted on the first two days of the draft I can't blame him for leaving. Wouldn't be too surprised if he returns, though, because he's apparently still way under the radar.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We lose a ton of talent. No way we can be as good as this year with the guys we are losing. We may make a bowl game but we lose a ton of talent.

Since this season isn't over, hard to judge that statement 6 games in. How many wins this year? My expectation is the Clones will finish regular season 8-4.

From a talent standpoint, I definitely think we can be better. More important, from an execution standpoint, I definitely think we can perform better.

We have some big shoes to fill on defense guys but guys like Young, Tampa, Purchase, Freyler, Vaughn, Horne, Lee and Singleton are guys who could make next year's defense bigger and faster. If Zach Petersen comes back, I like his motor to be a big time pass rusher.

On offense we have 3 studs to replace in Purdy, Hall and Kolar. Obviously, replacing Purdy is the biggest question mark because QB experience matters. No matter who ISU's QB is next fall, there will be a learning curve.
  • But I love our OL talent returning- we'll have 4 guys (assuming Downing) with extensive starting experience back.
  • The group of Brock, Sanders and Silas could match Breece Hall's production as a group.
  • Hutchinson is a tough loss, but as group we could be much better with Noel, Shaw, Jackson, Porter, etc.
  • Kolar will be tough to replace since whoever steps in will have played limited snaps as a Cyclone. But if our WR group is better, maybe the TE position group can be a step below this year.
Overall, I look at many of our super seniors as overachievers from a talent standpoint. Campbell's recruiting has gotten better over the last couple years and I see guys stepping in who have learned from the best. And are bigger and faster than the seniors they are replacing.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Drew Brees never had a strong arm either.

What made Brees was his vision, quick release, and accuracy. People want to talk about Mahomes' arm (he certainly has one), but his vision (ability to see the field) and accuracy are what's made him a star. I

Brock lacks vision, anticipation, and consistent accuracy (especially on the deep ball). His arm is a "problem". It's not not close to being his biggest.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

When throwing off his back foot or under pressure. Purdy is a liability. When Brock has a great base and a clean pocket. He is LETHAL

Ok, I'm in agreement here, but your first example (the Iowa pick) is a bad example. He had a clean pocket, no pressure and set his feet well.

Even the second example isn't great - His feet/base looks actually pretty good. Yes he short steps it for a quicker release because of pressure, but it's not his horrible falling backwards throws that we've seen.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Since this season isn't over, hard to judge that statement 6 games in. How many wins this year? My expectation is the Clones will finish regular season 8-4.

From a talent standpoint, I definitely think we can be better. More important, from an execution standpoint, I definitely think we can perform better.

We have some big shoes to fill on defense guys but guys like Young, Tampa, Purchase, Freyler, Vaughn, Horne, Lee and Singleton are guys who could make next year's defense bigger and faster. If Zach Petersen comes back, I like his motor to be a big time pass rusher.

On offense we have 3 studs to replace in Purdy, Hall and Kolar. Obviously, replacing Purdy is the biggest question mark because QB experience matters. No matter who ISU's QB is next fall, there will be a learning curve.
  • But I love our OL talent returning- we'll have 4 guys (assuming Downing) with extensive starting experience back.
  • The group of Brock, Sanders and Silas could match Breece Hall's production as a group.
  • Hutchinson is a tough loss, but as group we could be much better with Noel, Shaw, Jackson, Porter, etc.
  • Kolar will be tough to replace since whoever steps in will have played limited snaps as a Cyclone. But if our WR group is better, maybe the TE position group can be a step below this year.
Overall, I look at many of our super seniors as overachievers from a talent standpoint. Campbell's recruiting has gotten better over the last couple years and I see guys stepping in who have learned from the best. And are bigger and faster than the seniors they are replacing.
It’ll be tough to lose those guys on O, but we end up seeing a more balanced attack with multiple contributors. I’m encouraged by how many guys had receptions vs KSU.

I’m interested in who will be Dekkers safety blanket when we need a clutch catch; Hutch and Charlie are that guy for Brock right now. My vote is Noel.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
It’ll be tough to lose those guys on O, but we end up seeing a more balanced attack with multiple contributors. I’m encouraged by how many guys had receptions vs KSU.

I’m interested in who will be Dekkers safety blanket when we need a clutch catch; Hutch and Charlie are that guy for Brock right now. My vote is Noel.

A little birdie told me that throwing to Rb's is going to be a weapon going forward. Sanders and Quaron Adams are as fast or faster than Kene and Brock is elite in the pass game. Expect to see them used in the passing game.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I’m guilty of it more than most on here but we tend to overvalue our players heading into the NFL draft. If you told me we only have 3 guys selected in the 2022 Draft, it wouldn’t shock me.

I think we have only had 7 guys picked the last 10 years.

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
I’m guilty of it more than most on here but we tend to overvalue our players heading into the NFL draft. If you told me we only have 3 guys selected in the 2022 Draft, it wouldn’t shock me.

I think we have only had 7 guys picked the last 10 years.

I could be guilty of over valuing them too but Hall, Rose and McDonald should all be locks to be drafted (4 if isheem declares). Then I believe Eisworth, Hutchinson and Purdy all have a chance to be drafted late.