WAY too early predictions for 2022?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Schedule lines up a bit easier in regards to what teams we get at home. Get all the mid level teams (Tech, WVU, KState, Baylor even) - at home. I'd expect to win those four with 2 non con and @ Kansas and that gets to 7 pretty easily. Hopefully OU continues to implode with that game being at home. @ TCU is certainly winnable as well.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I have no idea how we will be at QB next year. I don't even remember his name, that is how much Purdy has dominated QB play. Will we struggle for bowl eligibility?
Didn't know about Hunter Dekkers? Former Iowa Gatorade state player of the year and gem of a recruit? And has played in about 4 games the past two seasons?

Not trying to be harsh here. Surprising.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
The defense has a chance to be just as good as this year, though losing Mike Rose is significant.

I'm really excited about Dekkers, but Hall will obviously be tough to replace.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Thankful for what the seniors have done for the program and excited for the future. While we are replacing a lot, I still think we get to 7 wins. Crazy how in a rebuilding year we can legitimately think that we will still win around 7 games. This program has come really far.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Watch us go out and win 9 games. I’m not expecting it, but I can see enough things falling in place to get us there.

Last edited:
Reactions: quasistellar

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the defense will be just fine, offense might look different. The WR's may get more focus that TE's and between Brock, Silas, Sanders and Dekkers, we may have more of a committee approach to the run game.

We have a better balance for home and away games next year in the big 12, if Dekkers is servicable, it'll be a similar season to this year. I'd say 6-6 right now.

cypher

Jan 21, 2012
NW Iowa
I don't see a big drop off next year, record wise. This year's team, with all it's returning talent, hit its floor at 7 wins. I see next year's team with a ceiling of 8 wins, maybe 9, which likely translates to a 7-5 type of year. O Line and D Line will be no worse, and that's where it all starts. RB room goes from All American to upper half of the conference. TE dropoff is the biggest concern. Not a huge dropoff in LB with O'Rien Vance returning, and based on yesterday, Vaughn possibly sliding to the outside. No change in CB except young guys get a year older. Safeties will be fine with Freyler + McDonald. Biggest question is QB. This year Purdy was a top 4 BXII QB by my estimation. If Dekkers has the mental aspect figured out, he is a top 4 talent wise.
I had not heard that Vance was returning. Source???

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
We had several close losses. That will turn around. I see 7 or 8 wins.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I had not heard that Vance was returning. Source???

CMC said he expects Vance to be back during an interview. JStans posted that on twitter earlier today. CW said that was another expected good news announcement... the way he worded it made it sound like there's still a possibility of more. My guess would be Zack Peterson...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You don't know that Dekkers is our #2?

I understand forgetting my email password, but I always know ISU's backup QB.

I mean, I didn't remember Dekkers' name immediately, but at least I knew that it was the lefty backing up Purdy for like the last 10 years.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Disagree. I think the talent on display last night on defense will keep us in a lot of games. I don't see a huge dropoff in talent. Also remember, Will McD, AJJr, and Vance are all coming back; that's 3 damn good defenders as a core to build around. I think we should be confident in Dr. Heacock's ability to put a very good unit out there.

The question is on offense. Manning MUST put together a new scheme that works with a different bunch of skillsets, now that the Breece/Brock/Chuck machine has moved on. I think Jirehl could be very good but he is not the same style runner as Breece, needs to be used a little differently too. I think guys like Noel & Silas bring speed that we haven't seen in a while; how to use that? Can we finally have an offensive line bully defenses, that would make life much easier for everybody. I think it's reasonable to be worried about the offense, I am not on the Manning is terrible train, but I sure don't think he has been anywhere near as successful as Heacock.

As far as W/L next year - I don't believe we even know the schedule yet. Will OuT be gone and we replace them with a couple tomato cans? Note those two are currently on the schedule with a bye between them - wonder if it is like that for everyone, in case they are gone, to make rescheduling easier?

Put me down for 7-5 right now, assuming we play OuT. If they are replaced by someone else, then I would say 8-4. We are not a basket case anymore, it's not going to be 2-10 hopelessness anymore.

Also OP- if you can't remember Dekkers name, then either:

a) you are a super casual fan, and probably shouldn't start threads
OR
b) dude, you can't wake & bake 6 days a week, you gotta cut back before you get brain damageamageamage
Or, he's actually a closet Hawkeye fan...and is expressing what he's hoping will actually happen.