WAY too early predictions for 2022?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If you disagree with the jist of a thread, you can simply disregard it without insulting the OP. Friggin lack of civility.

Personally, I think that the talent drop from the best group of players in ISU history will mean that we'll take a drop in competitivenss. Maybe 5 wins? I hope I'm wrong but what are the chances that we don't slip in terms of our RB, LB and QB play? Encouraging that Hutchinson is coming back and Noel shows some signs of life but the turnover is going to be very significant. I think there are some good young players but it's hard to think we'll not drop off a bit next year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If you disagree with the jist of a thread, you can simply disregard it without insulting the OP. Friggin lack of civility.

Personally, I think that the talent drop from the best group of players in ISU history will mean that we'll take a drop in competitivenss. Maybe 5 wins? I hope I'm wrong but what are the chances that we don't slip in terms of our RB, LB and QB play? Encouraging that Hutchinson is coming back and Noel shows some signs of life but the turnover is going to be very significant. I think there are some good young players but it's hard to think we'll not drop off a bit next year.
I think it will largely depend on the defense on whether they are a bowl team next year. I think as long as the defense remains strong they have a shot in a lot of games. If I remember right, there are a few other teams that lose a lot of guys as well.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE

You must be new here.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Definitely will be different next year at QB because Dekkers is just a much different QB than Purdy. Purdy established himself as QB1 in ISU history. That is a difficult act to follow.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing a new team grow.

I'd guess somewhere between 2016 and 2017 hopefully without total beat downs.

Otherwise:
-Slow start in September
-look way better in October
-maybe maintain it if there's actually depth to be an OK football team by the end.

Hopefully there's more of a 'Today's the day'-ness that the team comes with.

I'm looking ahead to the basketball team because currently they have that.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I think you guys will have more options to run the qb like Snyder’s K-State teams. This years team could have been an 8-10 win team, so I think next years could be similar to this years record.

• Winner
Reactions: Inthesystem

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I don't see a big drop off next year, record wise. This year's team, with all it's returning talent, hit its floor at 7 wins. I see next year's team with a ceiling of 8 wins, maybe 9, which likely translates to a 7-5 type of year. O Line and D Line will be no worse, and that's where it all starts. RB room goes from All American to upper half of the conference. TE dropoff is the biggest concern. Not a huge dropoff in LB with O'Rien Vance returning, and based on yesterday, Vaughn possibly sliding to the outside. No change in CB except young guys get a year older. Safeties will be fine with Freyler + McDonald. Biggest question is QB. This year Purdy was a top 4 BXII QB by my estimation. If Dekkers has the mental aspect figured out, he is a top 4 talent wise.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I think the drop off will be smaller than most expect. Lets remember at the end of this season we're 7-6. Honestly with what I see from some of the younger players, I'm betting on minimum 6-6.

Dekkers will be a strict upgrade. Better in the pocket, mobile enough when needed, makes better reads, and a much better arm. Biggest question is the receiving corps (aside from X) and Tom Manning. O line is what it is (not great run blocking, average to above pass blocking). I think our RBs are above average. Defense looks like it'll be solid.

If we can get one more play maker receiver and not doggedly force bad run plays, we'll be in business.

Oh and almost forgot--hopefully we replace Mevis with someone competent.