Washington st forum

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think I saw something that said WSU is the tallest team in the tournament.

Confirmed. We sat in low rows in the corner last night for their game. Couldn't see a thing when their bench players stood up.

Reactions: Letterkenny

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Two nice things they've done this season. They beat Arizona twice (by 3) including a true road game. Common denominator in those games were lots of free throws (42+51). And they finished second in the Pac12.

They have a losing record in quad 2 (3-4) and they have a quad 3 loss. We are 6-1 in quad 2 and obviously superior in quad 1 as well.

They aren't real deep but yes they are tall. Their starters are listed at 6'3, 6'8, 6'8, 6'9, 6'11. Only one bench player that played is under 6'7. Starting four forwards against our pressure defense feels like our guards are going to eat up steals
They very much don't play as big as they are listed. The '2' and the '3' are both 6'8" guards who attempt more 3s than 2s, and their two 6'11" posts only combine for about 20 minutes per game.

Their crunch time line-up is :
Rice - 6'3" and a skinny FR
Watts - 6'3" and a skinny FR
Wells - 6'8" and weighs less than Lipsey
Jakimovski - 6'8" and not skinny, but not a banger
Jones - 6'9" strong and tough

That matches up very favorably with our crunch time lineup, especially if Milan is in at the 3, plus we are stronger at every position.

I'll use this opportunity to say again that it is utterly amazing what Keshon Gilbert has done with this game and his physicality. He's bought in like almost no other transfer I've seen and changed from an offense-first perimeter player to the toughest guy on the floor who is stronger and more physical than anyone he faces and is a defensive stopper on their best scorer. I didn't see a lot of his games at UNLV, but that was absolutely NOT his reputation coming in. He and Tamin are going to each Rice and Wells alive.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Per the chart in post #30, WSU is the 2nd tallest team, ISU is 100th tallest team in D-1. As others have said, their reserve height may not be terribly effective.
Keep in mind that there is no universal measuring system for college basketball. Not to re-open the whole "measure with shoes, or without debate. For instance. William Kyle on SDSU last night is listed at 6'-9", 230. Hassan Ward is also listed at 6'-9", 230. Kyle looks closer to the size of Demarion Watson than Hassan Ward. If a team lists their player heights with shoes on, they'll all be 1-2" taller than their actual heights compared to our players.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
On Drake Wazzu
1) Devries: I think he injured his shoulder at some point. I've never seen him get pulled on the defensive possessions in close games. Plus I don't think I've ever seen him so passive in a close game. It worked for a while because of Wright and Brodie, but it was stark once they got behind. At the end of the game, you could see it bothering him after the whistle (shooting arm).

2) Brodie: Peak Brodie game. Looks like the best player in the world for 8 minutes, average to bad the rest of the game. He and Robert Jones are pretty comparable imo, though Jones is probably more consistent and better. I wish I lived in a world where Brodie got coached by Kyle Green. Either way, if our guards aren't generating what they were against SDSU, I feel like going down low to Jones or King will be a good option.

3) A lot of Wazzu's offense in the first half came against Ferguson (Brodie's backup). They had #13 just back him down and Drake had no answer. That's not a problem we will have with our depth down low. Drake eventually solved it by sending a double at him, so not too concerned about that either as that's what we normally do anyway.

4) Wazzu did a great job running Drake's 3 point shooters off the line. Drake is really dangerous when they get going from deep so stopping that was a big deal. If Wazzu commits to that against us, I think that would be a good thing as it would open up the lane for our guards. Not sure I would expect the same strategy for us though.

All in all, neither Drake nor Wazzu scare me that much, but it's March and anything can happen. It feels like we are clicking but a defense like Wazzu could grind us to a halt. I wanted Drake to win, because they are my #2 team, but I don't think either team would have been a matchup problem, like a BYU was.
Agree with point #1. Devries definitely had a shoulder injury. Don't know when it happened, but he tweaked something.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
“They reply on 3 pointers” LOL
I hope their coaches are game planning like their fans think because the paint will be open all night if they think we live and die by the 3. It's another nice aspect of our game when the 3s are falling but I don't feel like chucking up a bunch of 3s is our game it's always been attacking the paint for higher percentage shots.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last night was the first time I watched any Wazzu basketball, but they reminded me of a lower energy/effort UCF. Comparable size & skill but didn't seem to have the same engine.
Metrics-wise they are closest to Oklahoma from the BigXII, 40ish in KenPom with defense slightly higher ranked than the offense. I think Uzon is a good comp for Rice as well, but with higher Usage (takes more shots).

I think the OU games are a good barometer of how the game tomorrow could go too - if they make 10 3s and we make 3, and only turn them over 10 times, we'll probably lose. But it's more likely we hold them to 45 points and dominate them (like we did OU in Ames)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The guy that just got in a crab position and tried to back down then throw up garbage no look turn arounds? Thats the guy we’re worried about? I like it!
Well, let's say he was far and away the most effective offense WSU had against Drake.

Like I said, what was working for him is a different deal vs. ISU. Not even just because of Brodie vs. Ward/Jones, but just because ISU isn't going to let him keep going one-on-one.

When Drake did finally decide to start bringing DTs it was slow and he was already in deep.

That was the first mostly full game I saw of Drake. I get that Tucker was 6-18 and struggling, but I think you just got to ride him rather than sit him like DD did down the stretch.

But overall, I thought Coach Devries did a horrible job in-game. They were getting good offense working through Brodie. Jones was eating Brodie's lunch down low all game, not only scoring but racking up the fouls. Letting Brodie try to handle him one-on-one for much of the game until he either started doubling or switching cost them that game as much as Tucker shooting poorly. Once Brodie fouled out their offense was toast.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They very much don't play as big as they are listed. The '2' and the '3' are both 6'8" guards who attempt more 3s than 2s, and their two 6'11" posts only combine for about 20 minutes per game.

Their crunch time line-up is :
Rice - 6'3" and a skinny FR
Watts - 6'3" and a skinny FR
Wells - 6'8" and weighs less than Lipsey
Jakimovski - 6'8" and not skinny, but not a banger
Jones - 6'9" strong and tough

That matches up very favorably with our crunch time lineup, especially if Milan is in at the 3, plus we are stronger at every position.

I'll use this opportunity to say again that it is utterly amazing what Keshon Gilbert has done with this game and his physicality. He's bought in like almost no other transfer I've seen and changed from an offense-first perimeter player to the toughest guy on the floor who is stronger and more physical than anyone he faces and is a defensive stopper on their best scorer. I didn't see a lot of his games at UNLV, but that was absolutely NOT his reputation coming in. He and Tamin are going to each Rice and Wells alive.

They brought one big guy off the bench who was huge but insanely slow compared to our three big guys and actually I think Milan or Watson might match up even better against him in terms of just scoring at will.

It's really their Jones and I think the key is we need all three big guys available in second half without serious foul trouble. Gonna be a lot of Jones on both teams.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I hope their coaches are game planning like their fans think because the paint will be open all night if they think we live and die by the 3. It's another nice aspect of our game when the 3s are falling but I don't feel like chucking up a bunch of 3s is our game it's always been attacking the paint for higher percentage shots.
I'm sure thier coaches are smarter than thier fans. Seems like a good matchup for ISU though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well, let's say he was far and away the most effective offense WSU had against Drake.

Like I said, what was working for him is a different deal vs. ISU. Not even just because of Brodie vs. Ward/Jones, but just because ISU isn't going to let him keep going one-on-one.

When Drake did finally decide to start bringing DTs it was slow and he was already in deep.

That was the first mostly full game I saw of Drake. I get that Tucker was 6-18 and struggling, but I think you just got to ride him rather than sit him like DD did down the stretch.

But overall, I thought Coach Devries did a horrible job in-game. They were getting good offense working through Brodie. Jones was eating Brodie's lunch down low all game, not only scoring but racking up the fouls. Letting Brodie try to handle him one-on-one for much of the game until he either started doubling or switching cost them that game as much as Tucker shooting poorly. Once Brodie fouled out their offense was toast.

WSU's Jones had 11 rebounds but a lot of them were his own misses (probably all four offensive rebounds) and they didn't always result in points. He will be a load but he's not some elite unstoppable talent either. For example not like Clingan vs UConn last year who could have scored at will on us all game if they had played him more than 20 minutes.

Agree the game was Drake's to take and nobody forced the issue with leadership down the stretch. WSU's Jones was starting to score or get fouled every posession and WSU had a few crunch possessions in a row where they didn't get him the ball and Drake really missed an opportunity. Both teams really had poor strategy on offense especially in final two minutes, WSU just scored a few baskets on their ill advised plays.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We should win but I could see it being a tough game. Tougher than what some may anticipate.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The line movement on this game is weird. Opened at -8.5 and is down to -6.5. Hopefully there isn't some bad news on the injury front.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
March is unpredictable if anything and we could easily lose. However, if we keep playing like we have been (minus some less than stellar defense during the first half yesterday) we should be moving on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron