Washington st forum

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
This is why I very seldom or very selective on who I listen to's opinions and analysis. This guy is absolutely clueless and put his thoughts on print so everyone can see what's bouncing around in his head. Clueless. Mindless thoughts that have nothing backing them. Only facts that prove he doesn't know what he's talking about and is delusional. Now I'm heading to work so I can deal with more of this type of thing. "Flies in the Vaseline we are"!

Reactions: CyNews

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Seems like most of the 247 free boards are a joke. For what it's worth the discussion on the premium is much more reasonable.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Robert Jones, Hassan Ward, Tre King, D Wat, Mom, are small? Geezus how tall is WSU?
They said 2nd tallest team in Division I. Hard to see that from the game last night. Really, the only player I remember from last night is their point guard and their main big. Seems like everything ran through one or the other.

I've seen way too many games to state definitively that we'll match up great against another team until I see them on the floor for a half, but as @bawbie said, Washington State wants to do things that run up against the strength of our defense, so I am pretty confident that it's as good of match up as could find (but we could still lose if they execute better than we do).

Reactions: madguy30

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yep. I do feel for Drake, and I actually wouldn't have minded playing them tomorrow, and I know that puts me in the minority.

But, they did kind of blow that game last night. Make the free throws! Get the ball to your best player in crunch time! They did neither.

And I do think Devries is a solid coach, but this is the second year in a row that Drake has lost a lead in a late-game situation in the first round. They had Miami on the ropes last year and let that get away from them as well.

We would have torn Drake apart. I wouldn't have minded playing them.
The games where they've given us fits in the basketball were teams flailing to find their way early in the season. I don't think it's the hottest of takes to suggest that isn't our team at this point.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Wazzu hasn't done anything since Tony Bennett left almost 20 years ago. This is their first tournament appearance since 2008. Their fans don't know anything about basketball as they've been the cellar dweller for too long. ISU will win this one easily and I'm taking the over 7.5. The very little I know about Wazzu, they're slow and not overly athletic. Our defense will make these guys look like they have stone hands and they will be flustered. I lol'ed when that dude on their message board said that ISU feared the cougs.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and CyNews

RollClones14

Sep 6, 2018
That poster is so unhinged. He's responsible for 26 of the 34 posts in that thread and 23 of the 25 on the first page. It looks like he himself has over half the posts on their forum over the last 2 days. Just some poor Cougar yelling nonsense into the abyss.
Yeah their paid board on 24/7 isn't super active, but much more reasonable fans. Most acknowledging our defensive schemes and recognizing that they will need to shoot the three better than they have all year to have a chance. They think we're better than Arizona, and one guy who was at both games in Omaha saying "it’s going to take a near-miracle. And that’s OK."

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
On Drake Wazzu
1) Devries: I think he injured his shoulder at some point. I've never seen him get pulled on the defensive possessions in close games. Plus I don't think I've ever seen him so passive in a close game. It worked for a while because of Wright and Brodie, but it was stark once they got behind. At the end of the game, you could see it bothering him after the whistle (shooting arm).

2) Brodie: Peak Brodie game. Looks like the best player in the world for 8 minutes, average to bad the rest of the game. He and Robert Jones are pretty comparable imo, though Jones is probably more consistent and better. I wish I lived in a world where Brodie got coached by Kyle Green. Either way, if our guards aren't generating what they were against SDSU, I feel like going down low to Jones or King will be a good option.

3) A lot of Wazzu's offense in the first half came against Ferguson (Brodie's backup). They had #13 just back him down and Drake had no answer. That's not a problem we will have with our depth down low. Drake eventually solved it by sending a double at him, so not too concerned about that either as that's what we normally do anyway.

4) Wazzu did a great job running Drake's 3 point shooters off the line. Drake is really dangerous when they get going from deep so stopping that was a big deal. If Wazzu commits to that against us, I think that would be a good thing as it would open up the lane for our guards. Not sure I would expect the same strategy for us though.

All in all, neither Drake nor Wazzu scare me that much, but it's March and anything can happen. It feels like we are clicking but a defense like Wazzu could grind us to a halt. I wanted Drake to win, because they are my #2 team, but I don't think either team would have been a matchup problem, like a BYU was.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I only watched about the first 5 minutes of the game, but from what I saw WSU's bigs looked slow. I think we run them out of the gym.
Two nice things they've done this season. They beat Arizona twice (by 3) including a true road game. Common denominator in those games were lots of free throws (42+51). And they finished second in the Pac12.

They have a losing record in quad 2 (3-4) and they have a quad 3 loss. We are 6-1 in quad 2 and obviously superior in quad 1 as well.

They aren't real deep but yes they are tall. Their starters are listed at 6'3, 6'8, 6'8, 6'9, 6'11. Only one bench player that played is under 6'7. Starting four forwards against our pressure defense feels like our guards are going to eat up steals

Reactions: Cyclonepride

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Wazzu hasn't done anything since Tony Bennett left almost 20 years ago. This is their first tournament appearance since 2008. Their fans don't know anything about basketball as they've been the cellar dweller for too long. ISU will win this one easily and I'm taking the over 7.5. The very little I know about Wazzu, they're slow and not overly athletic. Our defense will make these guys look like they have stone hands and they will be flustered. I lol'ed when that dude on their message board said that ISU feared the cougs.
I feel the same way. I feel like 7.5 is 7.5 points too low. Yet, somehow WSU beat Arizona twice. How did THAT happen? This and injuries are the two things that I'm worried about.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
On Drake Wazzu
1) Devries: I think he injured his shoulder at some point. I've never seen him get pulled on the defensive possessions in close games. Plus I don't think I've ever seen him so passive in a close game. It worked for a while because of Wright and Brodie, but it was stark once they got behind. At the end of the game, you could see it bothering him after the whistle (shooting arm).

2) Brodie: Peak Brodie game. Looks like the best player in the world for 8 minutes, average to bad the rest of the game. He and Robert Jones are pretty comparable imo, though Jones is probably more consistent and better. I wish I lived in a world where Brodie got coached by Kyle Green. Either way, if our guards aren't generating what they were against SDSU, I feel like going down low to Jones or King will be a good option.

3) A lot of Wazzu's offense in the first half came against Ferguson (Brodie's backup). They had #13 just back him down and Drake had no answer. That's not a problem we will have with our depth down low. Drake eventually solved it by sending a double at him, so not too concerned about that either as that's what we normally do anyway.

4) Wazzu did a great job running Drake's 3 point shooters off the line. Drake is really dangerous when they get going from deep so stopping that was a big deal. If Wazzu commits to that against us, I think that would be a good thing as it would open up the lane for our guards. Not sure I would expect the same strategy for us though.

All in all, neither Drake nor Wazzu scare me that much, but it's March and anything can happen. It feels like we are clicking but a defense like Wazzu could grind us to a halt. I wanted Drake to win, because they are my #2 team, but I don't think either team would have been a matchup problem, like a BYU was.
That's what concerns is point 4. We have a tendency of trying slam our heads against a brick wall when there is a solid tall defensive front court. I hope in the half court we are patient with ball movement to get the defense to move and find holes.

I'd rather we get a shot clock violation then see Tamin or Gilbert put their head down and try to run into their front court and throwing up prayer 15 secs into the shot clock.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I watched WSU play UW this year and they looked bad. I did not watch the game last night, so i have no idea what to think. From what I have heard, we should be fine. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I watched WSU play UW this year and they looked bad. I did not watch the game last night, so i have no idea what to think. From what I have heard, we should be fine. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
We should be fine. We should probably run them out of the gym. But it's the tournament and weird **** happens all the time.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I’m thinking we would have eaten DeVries for lunch. Is a good player? Absolutely, but he would have been the focal point of defense
Devries would have been a distributor against us, and with our double teams we’d be staring down Wright, Overton, and Enright combining to hit 12 threes