Washington hires Jedd Fisch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
B1G is more in Campbells recruiting footprint
yes, i realize UW is in Pac NW. they will still play 4-5 games a year in the Midwest

It's hard to even know if that sort of thing matters in the new coast to coast leagues.

At some point it's a stretch. Some kid in Florida or Georgia isn't going to be excited that Cal is a great place for his local friends and family to watch him because they're in the ACC now.

Reactions: Messi

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
It's hard to even know if that sort of thing matters in the new coast to coast leagues.

At some point it's a stretch. Some kid in Florida or Georgia isn't going to be excited that Cal is a great place for his local friends and family to watch him because they're in the ACC now.
You have to hit homeruns in the transfer portal to win the NC at Washington. It's a good enough place you can build a top 10-20 program there with HS recruits. For them to consistently run with SC and be a legitimate threat in the playoffs though they have to get transfers. DeBoer was working the blueprint well.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
You know what I mean. I probably still not having to jump on the freeway.
Not taking a shot at you but I don't think you know much about the area surrounding USC. They spend significant money on on-campus security and it's legitimately unsafe off campus. I don't know much about the area surrounding UW but it's unlikely USC should be grouped with UW and definitely not UCLA. That's what I was trying to point out.

And before I get quoted again, I live in a large city and am familiar with urban areas and am not "irrationally fearful of these places".

We're talking about UW and the campus, stadium and area around it are awesome. UCLA campus and surrounding area is awesome too along with perfect climate since it came up (downside for football is the Rose Bowl isn't near campus, but that area is incredibly beautiful too). It's hilarious/sad people are so irrationally fearful of these places.

The on topic point is that Seattle itself isn't going to scare off any players or coaches, it's awesome. Maybe how geographically isolated it is for travel or recruiting, although they seem to get the players so I don't know why that would stop.
Read the post I quoted. It mentioned UW, UCLA and USC and being in walkable areas. I agree on the first two, which is why I only referenced USC in my response.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not taking a shot at you but I don't think you know much about the area surrounding USC. They spend significant money on on-campus security and it's legitimately unsafe off campus. I don't know much about the area surrounding UW but it's unlikely USC should be grouped with UW and definitely not UCLA. That's what I was trying to point out.

And before I get quoted again, I live in a large city and am familiar with urban areas and am not "irrationally fearful of these places".

Read the post I quoted. It mentioned UW, UCLA and USC and being in walkable areas. I agree on the first two, which is why I only referenced USC in my response.

I am much more concerned about safety when I’m in Cleveland than when I’ve been at/near USC.

• Informative
  • Haha
Reactions: jdubs and IASTATE07

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Now that DeBoer is going to Bama, the Washington job is open.

Campbell is the type of loyal dude to stay there and build the program back up with minimal needs and isn't asking for $10M a year so can pay coordinators and ride the ship while Washington waits to get their full share of B1G money.

Was fun while it lasted.
Maybe after the weather this weekend, but I think he likes it here.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

You're right I don't. I know it's in a bad neighborhood. My uncle went there in the 60's and that's all I know. Just pretend I didn't say USC in the post. You understand the point I was trying to make.

• Agree
Reactions: jdubs

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for starting this thread for recruits to see. LOL, just kidding, kind of.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
B1G is more in Campbells recruiting footprint
yes, i realize UW is in Pac NW. they will still play 4-5 games a year in the Midwest
Ohio is Campbell’s recruiting hotbed. Tennessee is very close to Ohio. Washington? Not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I love Matt Campbell and think he is a good coach, but is he a great coach? The verdict is out. What it is with him and September schedules? Why do we struggle against teams we should absolutely handle? There seems to be real inconsistencies that have played out through his coaching career and things weren’t always great at Toledo either. Until he can put it all together, I think the bigger jobs stay away now.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I’d hate to see Campbell go, partly because he’s been great here and has gotten our program to a very stable spot. Also partly because he’d probably take some of our best players with him, including Rocco.

If he does leave I don’t think it’s the end of the world like I thought in 2018. We’re at a great place, have some conference stability. Would hope they’d hire from within, Nate seems like a great leader to keep the energy in the program (if we went with him)

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I love Matt Campbell and think he is a good coach, but is he a great coach? The verdict is out. What it is with him and September schedules? Why do we struggle against teams we should absolutely handle? There seems to be real inconsistencies that have played out through his coaching career and things weren’t always great at Toledo either. Until he can put it all together, I think the bigger jobs stay away now.
Best coach is Iowa State History. That is a fact. Most bigger jobs know what he has accomplished here. I truely believe he has chosen to stay at Iowa State despite very good opportunities and I hope he continues to do so. I am a 50+ year Cyclone. I bleed Cardinal and Gold, but I do not believe our Head Coach is holding this Program back. He has many obstacles here he would not have at a place like Washington. I hope he stays here and I hope he continues to have great success here.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Best coach is Iowa State History. That is a fact. Most bigger jobs know what he has accomplished here. I truely believe he has chosen to stay at Iowa State despite very good opportunities and I hope he continues to do so. I am a 50+ year Cyclone. I bleed Cardinal and Gold, but I do not believe our Head Coach is holding this Program back. He has many obstacles here he would not have at a place like Washington. I hope he stays here and I hope he continues to have great success here.
He is the best coach in OUR history but that’s not saying much at Iowa State unfortunately, hopefully he can continue to build the brand. Trust me I want him to retire here, but there are too many head scratching moments. Like how do we get physically manhandled upfront against Ohio and Memphis, on both sides of the ball, but go toe to toe with Texas for nearly 4 quarters and beat Kansas State the way we do? Baffled.

• Agree

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He is the best coach in OUR history but that’s not saying much at Iowa State unfortunately, hopefully he can continue to build the brand. Trust me I want him to retire here, but there are too many head scratching moments. Like how do we get physically manhandled upfront against Ohio and Memphis, on both sides of the ball, but go toe to toe with Texas for nearly 4 quarters and beat Kansas State the way we do? Baffled.

True. He's our best. I suspect he's taken the program as far as he can, but that's a fine level for ISU. It's probably that we can't really take a bigger step as a program anyway.

• Disagree

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It is football. How did the 49ers lose 3 straight at one point this year? Was that an ill prepared team led by an average coach. No. It is football. It is the ultimate team sport. The team struggles when players have an off day or do not execute the plan as instructed. It is a difficult game at the pro level with grown ass men. Now try doing it with many freshman and sophomores like Matt did this year. Maybe give him credit for K State, OSU… instead of focusing on the bad performances. I personally think this year was one of his better coaching jobs given the obstacles and youth on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.