Walking Dead

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I blame fans for this hour and a half Morgan episode. Their obsession with him for all these seasons brought this on. Wish the backstory would have only been half the show but oh well.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Before Morgan popped up last season, the last time we saw him he was "stark raving mad writing nonsense on the walls" Morgan. That's a drastic change from where he is now. Morgan's story has to be told, and I don't think doing it in flashbacks interspersed with another plotline, or Morgan having a 3 minute exposé monologue would do it any justice.

90 minute episode? Nah, probably not needed...60 would have been fine. But I'm perfectly okay with what they did with this episode and it being all-Morgan.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Great episode. Good back story, great writing.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
It appears this episode didn't resonate with those enamored by big explosions and the like, but I thought it hit the same frequency as the pilot and Morgan's crazed episode, which were the two better episodes of the series.

I think it is an interesting dichotomy where all life is precious (worth saving) but how can that be when some life is destined to destroy others? How can Morgan justify his actions and philosophy when it has directly led to the death of others? It's hard to understand as it's not necessarily a viewpoint I share, but it is intriguing. It follows that line, that has been touched on throughout the series, that separates animals and humans, civilization and anarchy, the undead and the living. Where is that line drawn? And if it has been crossed, can it be crossed from the other side? Can there be redemption? If a life can be saved, is it worth saving? To what end?

It's something we have seen throughout the series. Morgan was crazy and lost but found direction. Tara was on the side of the Governor but was given another chance. Eugene risks other people's lives for self preservation but has shown growth away from being a coward.

So given that, the placement of this episode is actually vital for us to understand the rest of Morgan's story line.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That episode felt like some budget saving filler. I think that story line could have been a really compelling 20-30 minutes. I did feel bad for the goat.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Looks like next week will be bringing Daryl, Abraham & Sasha back to Alexandria, based on the trailer I just tripped over.

[video=youtube;bJZudSF-sGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZudSF-sGs[/video]

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So what will Morgan gift to someone when it comes down to it.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'm usually not with those that complain that an episode is boring... but man, this episode was boring.. and annoying it fell after last week's cliffhanger.

We have started to DVR the episodes and start watching them about a half hour after the initial episode start. I found myself wanting to fast forward through the episode yesterday. It just didn't appeal to me like Glenn's cliffhanger.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
U8yQEOj.gif

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I have no problems with Morgan being boring or whatever. I just feel 90 minutes of a limited episode season dedicated to characters backstory that wasn't really all that necessary. Especially if people end up hating him because his "all lives are precious" stance gets people killed.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ill laugh if they kill him off next week. Just to mess with people.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have started to DVR the episodes and start watching them about a half hour after the initial episode start. I found myself wanting to fast forward through the episode yesterday. It just didn't appeal to me like Glenn's cliffhanger.

Well, you need to approach it like it is more then just a comic book adaptation and that it is something with more depth and awesome artistic significance with deep and profound character development that doesn't strain credulity.

:jimlad:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
This episode is what TWD should be. Character driven. Entire episodes dedicated to a single story or flashback with a current day Ann a tease mixed in. Just like the best show ever... LOST.