Virginia Tech Dual on Saturday

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's the Weatherman loss that bugs me the most. I really want to see him AA this year. He's always on the cusp, but just can't seal it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It's the Weatherman loss that bugs me the most. I really want to see him AA this year. He's always on the cusp, but just can't seal it.

Agreed. The Meeks loss sucks but time will tell if that was a bad loss or not, and he didn't look too bad otherwise. Spoon going down to Epperly isn't a big deal since it was a match that could be fixed later in the season. And other than that the worst individual performance vs expectations was Hall needing OT before he turned it on. But Weatherman losing to a true freshman... woof.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Agreed. The Meeks loss sucks but time will tell if that was a bad loss or not, and he didn't look too bad otherwise. Spoon going down to Epperly isn't a big deal since it was a match that could be fixed later in the season. And other than that the worst individual performance vs expectations was Hall needing OT before he turned it on. But Weatherman losing to a true freshman... woof.

If we peak at the end of the year I guess it will be worth it, but I really hope Weatherman and Meeks have good years for their own sake as well as the team. It's frustrating to see progress on some fronts and lose them on others. Low weights start to look stronger and our upper weights are down.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If we peak at the end of the year I guess it will be worth it, but I really hope Weatherman and Meeks have good years for their own sake as well as the team. It's frustrating to see progress on some fronts and lose them on others. Low weights start to look stronger and our upper weights are down.

That's why I'm not freaking out even though I'm upset about today's performance. For one, VT is really good and I was expecting it to be a bad outing to begin with. But the second is Jackson isn't Rhoads, a bad outing to start the season isn't likely to define us come March. Also a lot of the issues are fixable, and I trust the staff to fix them.

Whenever we do well, or do poorly, I focus on what changed for my expectations for March. Today here's what changed...

125: No change, Boston is at least what we got out of Larson last year. Don't know if he'll be better.
133: No real change, Hall didn't commit on anything until late and he easily hit that double when he needed to.
141: No real change. Meeks looked okay and Chisko looked like a guy who is going to be ranked soon. My hopes before the season were qualifier who went 2-2, maybe R12 and that is still the case. Especially since I'm confident Rodriguez can do that if Meeks can't. Though I still am pulling for Meeks and hope we can redshirt Rodriguez (I also hope Meeks can cement that soon so Dante can change his focus to development)
149: No change, waiting for Moreno
157: No change, no expecting anything more than fringe qualifier
165: Big negative change, I don't expect Tanner to be another Reader but I was hoping to see him have a season like Moreno had last year and this was not the start I wanted to see. I'm now more worried that his R12 performances are his peak
174: No change. Was hoping to maybe see a win over Epperly but I still think Spoon can be an AA which is what I expect. Nothing in that match wasn't fixable for the next time they meet. And Spoon showed he can go toe to toe with the top guys.
184: Please be eligible and don't take an Olympic shirt, Downey.
197: What the hell happened for us to forfeit? But waiting for Harrington
HWT: I hope to see Smith improve but don't count on it until I see it. He broke and that's a bad sign. But my expectations for Smith are .500 until I see him prove me otherwise.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Obviously disappointing but we'll be a completely different team the second half of the season. If these teams went at it in January I'm pretty confident we would see a much different outcome. Not saying we would definitely win but we wouldn't get taken to the woodshed like today.

Regardless the dip **** trolls will have a field day with this but will disappear once we get it going. They're so predictable yet think they've got everybody fooled.

Reactions: Judoka

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
Predicted a bloodbath and was chastised. We suck bad & talk about peaking in March?!?!?! The theme gets old. Apathy and excuses...blah blah blah. Don't make me bring up NCAA Tourney results for validation.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
That's why I'm not freaking out even though I'm upset about today's performance. For one, VT is really good and I was expecting it to be a bad outing to begin with. But the second is Jackson isn't Rhoads, a bad outing to start the season isn't likely to define us come March. Also a lot of the issues are fixable, and I trust the staff to fix them.

Whenever we do well, or do poorly, I focus on what changed for my expectations for March. Today here's what changed...

125: No change, Boston is at least what we got out of Larson last year. Don't know if he'll be better.
133: No real change, Hall didn't commit on anything until late and he easily hit that double when he needed to.
141: No real change. Meeks looked okay and Chisko looked like a guy who is going to be ranked soon. My hopes before the season were qualifier who went 2-2, maybe R12 and that is still the case. Especially since I'm confident Rodriguez can do that if Meeks can't. Though I still am pulling for Meeks and hope we can redshirt Rodriguez (I also hope Meeks can cement that soon so Dante can change his focus to development)
149: No change, waiting for Moreno
157: No change, no expecting anything more than fringe qualifier
165: Big negative change, I don't expect Tanner to be another Reader but I was hoping to see him have a season like Moreno had last year and this was not the start I wanted to see. I'm now more worried that his R12 performances are his peak
174: No change. Was hoping to maybe see a win over Epperly but I still think Spoon can be an AA which is what I expect. Nothing in that match wasn't fixable for the next time they meet. And Spoon showed he can go toe to toe with the top guys.
184: Please be eligible and don't take an Olympic shirt, Downey.
197: What the hell happened for us to forfeit? But waiting for Harrington
HWT: I hope to see Smith improve but don't count on it until I see it. He broke and that's a bad sign. But my expectations for Smith are .500 until I see him prove me otherwise.

Just checked the rankings and found only two guys ranked in the top 8, and that's a 6th and and an 8th. And the 6 lost to a true frosh today.

I knew we weren't going to be a title contender this year but that's sobering.

isit

Feb 9, 2014
You spend all summer working for THIS? There is no silver lining.
Somebody needs to work on the countdown clock in the room. We need more time.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Didn't expect a win, disappointed in the effort and conditioning. Knew the first half of the season would be painful as we figure out Meeks and wait for Gabe, downing and Harrington to get back in.

March is a long ways away, but what the heck let's fire up the OMG the sky has fallen threads from queso or who ever he is posting as now and the NEIpantherhok backhanded compliment posts. That's what makes me the most disappointed from the match, fuel for the trolls.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Just a couple things I would like to add:

141 - Chishko is a stud. From Dresser's own mouth he can hang with Sal Mastriani (VT's 149) and can beat Sal 4/10 times which means he was so close to starting at 149 for them. He is a big 141 that is tough.
165 - I don't expect anyone to be happy with Weatherman's loss, but McFadden is a guy people are really high on, so it's unfair to call him just a "true freshman". Some folks even say McFadden will be in the AA hunt.
HWT - Walz just beat Adam Coon at the All-Star classic so he's pretty good too. I would reserve judgement before I wrote off the offseason talk that Smith has improved. Let's see how he handles the loss and comes back this week.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I agree with everyone's sentiments that March is a long ways away, and I agree that we will be much better once Moreno, Downey and Harrington enter the lineup.

I guess I just think that we shouldn't be getting beaten 32-3 by anyone, ever. I understood following the Cael years when he left the cupboard empty, we were going to take a few losses like this. KJ said at the beginning of the year "we're no longer in a rebuilding phase, we've built it". A result like this makes me think otherwise, but I will continue to support this team and hope we get the ship righted.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I agree with everyone's sentiments that March is a long ways away, and I agree that we will be much better once Moreno, Downey and Harrington enter the lineup.

I guess I just think that we shouldn't be getting beaten 32-3 by anyone, ever. I understood following the Cael years when he left the cupboard empty, we were going to take a few losses like this. KJ said at the beginning of the year "we're no longer in a rebuilding phase, we've built it". A result like this makes me think otherwise, but I will continue to support this team and hope we get the ship righted.

I remember last year when I voiced concern about the low number and ranking of our guys. I was told that March was a long way away, that we were an emerging team, etc. Then we had 1 AA and finished comfortably outside the Top 10. Again.

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
NDSU ONLY lost to Va Tech 23-13!! FYI heres a rundown:

VA-Tech 23 NDSU 13

Joey Dance (VA-Tech) over Joshua Rodriguez (NDSU) (Dec 8-1)
I thought this was good match with the difference being Rodriguez giving up the take down & Back Points late in the 2nd. I liked how Rodriguez battled to ge the escape late in the 3rd to avoid the Maj.

Kevin Norstrem (VA-Tech) over Nicholas O`Brien (NDSU) (Dec 13-7)
O`Brien didn't do too bad here but was definitely out wrestled in this match at times

Solomon Chishko (Virginia Tech) over Mitchell Friedman (NDSU) (Dec 8-3)
Friedman hung tough with a talented Chisko, I thought Friedman wrestled well keeping it to a Dec

Clayton Ream (NDSU) over Chad Saunders (VA-Tech) (MD 9-1)
Ream started out a little slow in the first but picked it as the match went on to get the Maj and put NDSU on the board. I would've like to have seen him wrestle Mastriani but maybe they will see each other in Vegas at the Cliff Keen

Grant Nehring (NDSU) over Jameson Spengler (VA-Tech) (Fall 3:47)
I couldn't be more happy for a kid getting a Fall, Grant started wrestling well late last year and it was great to see him get the Win

David McFadden (VA-Tech) over Tyler McNutt (NDSU)(MD 12-2)
McNutt didn't look like himself, I thought he looked a little sluggish and that's not him. I thought he would have kept this a closer match

Cody Hughes (VA-Tech) over Charley Popp (NDSU) (Dec 11-9)
This match had a little bit of everything to say the least. I thought this was a match that Popp had a chance to win and should have won actually. He just got a little sloppy andd out of poisition a couple of times and Hughes took advantage of each mistake Popp made.

Hayden Zillmer (NDSU) over Zachary Zavatsky (VA-Tech) (Dec 7-5)
Zillmer didn't look like himself tonight either. I didn't think he was going to have any issues with Zavatsky but Zavatsky kept this match a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Jared Haught (VA-Tech) over Logan Paxton (NDSU) (MD 12-3)
Haught is just a man child, he definitely was stronger than Paxton who isn't exact;y a small 97 Lber himself.

Ty Walz (VA-Tech) over Benjamin Tyanan (NDSU) (Dec 14-7)
Tyanan battled but Walz was just too much for him. I like the fact that Tyanan never stopped wrestling for 3 periods

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
No Mastriani, Brascetta, or Epperly for VT. Sorry if we don't get too excited for you.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Mastriani is #13, Brascetta is #5, and Epperly is #6 and we didn't have Gabe, Downey and Harrington.

But I do welcome NDSU to the Big 12 conference

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Welcome to the Big 12! More teams is a good thing. I look forward to the new competition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron