Virginia Tech Dual on Saturday

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is gonna be a tough one, especially with Moreno and Harrington out. Virginia Tech is ranked #6 and matches up well to neutralize the scoring threat of a couple of our top guys. It shouldn't be a bloodbath but it'll be pretty tough for us to start the season at 1-0.

When: Saturday, Nov 7th @ 12PM CST
Where: Blackburg, VA
How to watch: Flowrestling premium subscription
How to follow on Twitter: @CycloneWR

I'll add a liveblog link once it is available, assuming they are doing them again this year.

I wonder what they'll do with Meeks/Dante, especially since Ross said they both are going out this weekend. My assumption is they'll keep the shirt on Dante at least through the Harold Nichols Open on the 15th, as we're likely to go 2-1 in duals before that regardless of who is wrestling at 141. So we can afford to give Meeks a multiple meet audition.

Last edited:

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
This is gonna be a tough one, especially with Moreno and Harrington out. Virginia Tech is ranked #6 and matches up well to neutralize the scoring threat of a couple of our top guys. It shouldn't be a bloodbath but it'll be pretty tough for us to start the season at 1-0.

When: Saturday, Nov 7th @ 11AM CST
Where: Blackburg, VA
How to watch: Flowrestling premium subscription
How to follow on Twitter: @CycloneWR

I'll add a liveblog link once it is available, assuming they are doing them again this year.

I wonder what they'll do with Meeks/Dante, especially since Ross said they both are going out this weekend. My assumption is they'll keep the shirt on Dante at least through the Harold Nichols Open on the 15th, as we're likely to go 1-2 in duals before that regardless of who is wrestling at 141. So we can afford to give Meeks a multiple meet audition.

This will be a good dual just to see where some guys are at. Boston and Breitenbach getting thrown into the fire early. Just excited to get the guys out there.

Also, 1-2? Expecting us to lose to Boise State?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This will be a good dual just to see where some guys are at. Boston and Breitenbach getting thrown into the fire early. Just excited to get the guys out there.

Also, 1-2? Expecting us to lose to Boise State?

Woops. Fixed that. I meant 2-1.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wish Smith was getting a mid-teens ranked guy at HWT. I'd really like to see what kind of progress he made in the offseason. But looking at the schedule/rankings we might have to wait until Vegas to get a good read on where he'll be at this year. He made a big jump from Freshman to Sophomore year and it would be great to see him do it again this season.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
I wish Smith was getting a mid-teens ranked guy at HWT. I'd really like to see what kind of progress he made in the offseason. But looking at the schedule/rankings we might have to wait until Vegas to get a good read on where he'll be at this year. He made a big jump from Freshman to Sophomore year and it would be great to see him do it again this season.

What teams are coming to the HNO?

Also, Swalla gave a nice preview of this weekend's dual.

http://iawrestle.com/2015/11/05/iowa-state-vs-virginia-tech-preview-2/

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What teams are coming to the HNO?

D1CollegeWrestle lists Boise State & South Dakota State. UNI, Nebraska, and Minnesota are at the Journeyman Duals that weekend so I wouldn't expect any of their starters. Missouri is off that weekend so maybe they'll have some guys.

Last edited:

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
I thought it was interesting that there were no "or's" listed at any of the somewhat questionable weight classes.

Do you think that this truly will be who we see in the line up?

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Just looked at the preview and saw the page where they listed the 4-time all-americans. Seems they might have missed a few. They definitely forgot to list Jake Varner.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Why are Moreno and Harrington out?

Off season DUI for Moreno, presumption is he's out for 10% of the season and will be back for the Harold Nichols Open. Harrington punched a guy at a party and nothing official has been announced about how long he'll be out, but since it was his first time getting into any trouble I'm assuming he's also out for 10%.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Off season DUI for Moreno, presumption is he's out for 10% of the season and will be back for the Harold Nichols Open. Harrington punched a guy at a party and nothing official has been announced about how long he'll be out, but since it was his first time getting into any trouble I'm assuming he's also out for 10%.

That's right. Idiots.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Just looked at the preview and saw the page where they listed the 4-time all-americans. Seems they might have missed a few. They definitely forgot to list Jake Varner.

They also only list last year's results instead of guy's whole careers like usual and the formatting seems off with a couple mostly blank pages. I wonder if somebody in the AD forgot to make this and an intern rushed it out this morning.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I wanted to have patience with Meeks, but if he doesn't have it figured out by now, is there really any hope? Wrestling is a funny sport.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wanted to have patience with Meeks, but if he doesn't have it figured out by now, is there really any hope? Wrestling is a funny sport.

I think it's all or nothing for him these first few meets. I can't see the coaches keeping the redshirt on Dante if Meeks doesn't come out of the gate looking like he'll do at least as well as Dante did last season

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Logan is only 157 pounder going, Nardo is not expected to go with team.

Meeks is the starter at 141. They still have the same issue next year with Dante. Gabe & John will be seniors. So options with Dante is somebody gets hurt. In addition to Gabe's suspension, we still don't know how the shoulder is going to be.

I am curious if Brascetta is wrestling. Back out of All Star meet with an injury.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
The good news for Meeks is that wrestling Chishko and then Geo Martinez (Boise) will be a good barometer if he can even go 1-1. Both are really tough guys, that going 0-2 isn't the end of the world, but a win would probably help the coaching staff's confidence in leaving the redshirt on Dante.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron