Versus

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
This is correct. And definitely the series that best stands the test of time.

Absolutely, a lot of people (myself included) didn't give it the love it deserved when it was first on. I'm watching it all the way through for the first time on Netflix right now. Just started Season 5 and loving it!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Absolutely, a lot of people (myself included) didn't give it the love it deserved when it was first on. I'm watching it all the way through for the first time on Netflix right now. Just started Season 5 and loving it!

I need to finish my watchthrough. I sort of lost track of it right as the dominion war was beginning.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I did that myself a year or so back - OK, I cheated, I started at the end of Season 2 (since I had seen most of the earlier ones and they weren't generally as good as the later ones anyway) and I didn't watch all the episodes, just the higher rated ones and the ones key to the overarching plot. I was impressed, had no idea the series was that good - the characters are way more realistic and deeper than in most other Trek shows, setting much darker. And I think they probably had the best space battles of any show ever. Almost as good as BSG, you could tell they were done by the same people.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I did that myself a year or so back - OK, I cheated, I started at the end of Season 2 (since I had seen most of the earlier ones and they weren't generally as good as the later ones anyway) and I didn't watch all the episodes, just the higher rated ones and the ones key to the overarching plot. I was impressed, had no idea the series was that good - the characters are way more realistic and deeper than in most other Trek shows, setting much darker. And I think they probably had the best space battles of any show ever. Almost as good as BSG, you could tell they were done by the same people.

Love this awesome nerd tangent. Seasons 1 & 2 of DS9, imo, were better than they get credit for. Out of the gate its much, much better than the brutal early seasons of TNG. And the one thing I like about DS9, even some of the least noteworthy episodes lay character groundwork that pays off later on. In a lot of ways I think it's the spiritual grandfather of the more serialized shows you see today.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ooh - Mass Effect or KOTOR?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ooh - Mass Effect or KOTOR?

(I don't play a ton of video games, mostly just these titles and a very small handful of others - but the answer is Mass Effect.)

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
(I don't play a ton of video games, mostly just these titles and a very small handful of others - but the answer is Mass Effect.)

Never played any of the Mass Effect games but I dumped a lot of time in college into KOTOR I and II

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, probably. Just got busy with stuff and didnt get back into it.

IF you do start watching again, might I suggest heading over to the AV Club on Thursdays where one of their TV reviewers is currently watching the show for the first time and discusses two episodes per week. He's in the home stretch of season 3 right now. I guarantee it's the only place you'll find that many people that jazzed to discuss a TV show that went off the air over a decade ago.

D

DistrictCyclone

Great question! Infractions (points) are more of a warning system. It's mostly just an easy way for us to shoot a user a "hey, this probably isn't cool" message that has a record (unlike when we just do a normal PM). We don't have a formal "X infractions/points = X days of ban" policy - mostly we just keep an eye out. If someone is on a tear and doesn't respond well to warnings, we usually do a temp ban.

So, honestly, infractions aren't the worst thing in the world - it's someone wanting to give you a head's up that something was seen as inappropriate without having to go to a temp ban or something.

Do all mods use this policy? Similarly, do mods have a lower tolerance for comments criticizing ISU student-athletes? I got banned for a week during the K-State game because I complained about our quarterbacks' (in)ability to complete passes; I used an adjective that means "without value", but I didn't think I made any personal attacks or did anything that wasn't similar to other posters' frustrations that day. About the only reason I could think of was that mods have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to criticizing student-athletes by name.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Never played any of the Mass Effect games but I dumped a lot of time in college into KOTOR I and II

If you like the.. I forget the term for the sort of story-driven games. RPG? Anyway, if you like KOTOR-style of game, you'd really like Mass Effect. Really in-depth universe and story.

Tough one. I'll go with mass effect. Still need to play 3.

KOTOR2 almost kills it though, hated that rushed ending.

3 is good. There are three possible endings, though, and I sort of hate them all.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Do all mods use this policy? Similarly, do mods have a lower tolerance for comments criticizing ISU student-athletes? I got banned for a week during the K-State game because I complained about our quarterbacks' (in)ability to complete passes; I used an adjective that means "without value", but I didn't think I made any personal attacks or did anything that wasn't similar to other posters' frustrations that day. About the only reason I could think of was that mods have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to criticizing student-athletes by name.

There does tend to be a lower tolerance on game-days. The sheer volume of posts on those days is insane, and the negative posts tend to cause a lot bigger issues, so we have to be sort of harder-nosed. (Like in the Cave right before the election.)

D

DistrictCyclone

There does tend to be a lower tolerance on game-days. The sheer volume of posts on those days is insane, and the negative posts tend to cause a lot bigger issues, so we have to be sort of harder-nosed. (Like in the Cave right before the election.)

That was my second thought; that my post was just the "straw that broke the camel's back". Totally understand that. I admit it would have totally sucked to be a mod that day; there wasn't much positive discussion at all in the gameday thread.

Help Support Us

Become a patron