Valley WR Zay Robinson Commits

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Don't hate the background of the picture on the right, but it kinda looks like a quilt:p

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We are starting to see the end of the Ferentz era. Same thing happened when Fry got old. They are still going to get the guys who were going to go there no matter who’s coaching. But the guys that aren’t predetermined to go to Iowa? ISU started taking more and more of those. It got to the point where we were taking whoever we wanted as long as they weren’t eastern Iowa, hok die hards or legacies. Same thing is happening now.

Kirk should have retired after this past season but his old stubborn a$$ is gonna pull a Fry and really run it into the ground before he hangs it up and I'm here for it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We are starting to see the end of the Ferentz era.
Just checking. We get an excellent recruit, and the first thing your mind goes to is the team out east?

Me, I’m thinking about the goodies we’ve already gotten. Tompkins is an OL who will have as good a resume as any we’ve signed over the past fifty years—the film and offers are there, the ranking is coming.

It takes about thirty seconds of Manske’s video to realize just how much he looks like Brock and Rocco on the field. Only he’s 6’3” 210. And that sense never stops through the whole thing. It’s surreal.

And Zay has the physical traits and proven winning attitude to be as good as anyone out there.

Just think about the “potential NFL draft picks” threads we’ll be doing in a few years.

I’m giddy. These three alone could represent 3/11ths of a powerful offense circa ‘27 or so. Should Limbaugh happen to wind up at TE, make it 4/11ths. And that’s just the start of this class.

I love it! It’s a great time to be a Cyclone!

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
We are starting to see the end of the Ferentz era. Same thing happened when Fry got old. They are still going to get the guys who were going to go there no matter who’s coaching. But the guys that aren’t predetermined to go to Iowa? ISU started taking more and more of those. It got to the point where we were taking whoever we wanted as long as they weren’t eastern Iowa, hok die hards or legacies. Same thing is happening now.
I'll believe it when I see it. Fans have been predicting Ferentz' demise for 10 years now.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
My oldest boy reported this to me before I saw it here (I have been lurking more in the bball and wrestling forums lately, but still...) Zay played Y bball with my son this year, well, my boy was the "coach" due to working most game days. I have no further info. :D

Reactions: Aclone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I haven't seen him play football, but he definitely had an edge to him when playing at the state basketball tournament.

Super competitive and athletic guy.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I haven't seen him play football, but he definitely had an edge to him when playing at the state basketball tournament.

Super competitive and athletic guy.

I've only seen his highlights too. Anyone have player comps to recent Iowa State players? Obvious one that comes to mind is Noel, given his size and lining up in the slot, but that may be the end of the comparison.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I've only seen his highlights too. Anyone have player comps to recent Iowa State players? Obvious one that comes to mind is Noel, given his size and lining up in the slot, but that may be the end of the comparison.
My impression would be TJ Tampa, but maybe showing better short area quickness at the same stage. An inch or so shorter.

And by “at the same stage”, I mean “comparing their HS film”, not TJ as a college senior…in case that wasn’t clear enough.

Also saw Zay climb the ladder for catches more than I did TJ—but that’s probably more a QB thing. Oh—and it’s only Zay’s sophomore film, since he was injured last season.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Also saw Zay climb the ladder for catches more than I did TJ—but that’s probably more a QB thing. Oh—and it’s only Zay’s sophomore film, since he was injured last season.
Yeah, this should be mentioned. Any film you see on Zay is from his sophomore year. Since then he's grown a few inches and definitely put on some size. He sat out all of the season for football and some of basketball. If you were able to watch the state tourney, he definitely wasn't as aggressive as he was last year as a soph when he was named tourney captain.

So in reality, any interest he's gotten from schools was from his soph year and from camps. Impressive.

Reactions: Aclone and nrg4isu

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This is a great get. Selfishly I kind of hope the staff gets him to quit baskeball. Injuries have been an issue. Sort of like how Tamin quit football after some injuries.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
This is a great get. Selfishly I kind of hope the staff gets him to quit baskeball. Injuries have been an issue. Sort of like how Tamin quit football after some injuries.
Those are two wildly different sports. Plus, I want to watch him go for the 3peat with the rest of Valley's Juniors.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Those are two wildly different sports. Plus, I want to watch him go for the 3peat with the rest of Valley's Juniors.

Take Zay off that team next year and they are still winning state. There are dudes on the bench at Valley that would start anywhere in the state.

Plus...how many basketball injuries is he up to at this point? It's multiple injuries covering a fair amount of games/season. Both sports are potentially dangerous from a serious injury standpoint.

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Zay was a Greenwood and Callanan kid before he transferred to Valley. My son’s grade school archrival. Good kid. Serious hops, he dunks everything in basketball and will be a player for the Clones. Most kids were Hawk fans at school but like my son Zay always rooted for the Clones.
Welcome Zay! Thanks for staying 'home'!

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This looks like possibly the best start to a recruiting class I can remember. NIL and the portal were supposed to limit our recruiting potential, but actually seems to not be holding us back at all. I am very surprised, and obviously very pleased.
We're finally getting a crop of central Iowa D1 players and/or kids that grew up either ISU fans or without the stigma of 90s ISU football ineptitude. Campbell isn't perfect and maybe slightly overrated, but there's no doubt he's done more to improve our program and program perception than anyone in ISU history.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We've been saying this for a long time. I'll believe it when I see it.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
My impression would be TJ Tampa, but maybe showing better short area quickness at the same stage. An inch or so shorter.

And by “at the same stage”, I mean “comparing their HS film”, not TJ as a college senior…in case that wasn’t clear enough.

Not my area of expertise, but I was thinking higher ceiling Darius Reynolds?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I agree with the assertions of fact that you made, but I don't think it matters all that much. Ill explain why:

The advantage of having the undisputed T shirt fan advantage in this state is the droves of low information fans that will eat up the company line propaganda and folksy myths iowa is built on. We all know KF and staff give the least possible F's what others think.

BUT, it's entirely debatable that the hok masses care even less. It's not that hoks aren't outwardly focused or aware of the criticisms, they are. But they are overwhelmingly on a spectrum of incapable of truly understanding to defensively refusing to accept any of it. They are reflexively reactionary and will spin any sign of KF decline or failure into proof-postive of the delusional myth of iowa exceptionalism.

Sure, we can all find exceptions and examples of iowa fans that are starting to see the forest for the trees, but I think we make too much of it. I really don't think anything is close to changing over there until KF wants it to or they lose way more than they win this year, regardless of context. And their schedule looks plenty manageable, at worst.

They still believe the can compete for championships without skill players. They still think they don't get recruits because of their location or because they "work too hard", not because of anything Kirk does or doesn't do. 'Guys don't wanna win, kids are too selfish these days', etc.

I hear it all day every day. I know many of you do, too.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I agree with the assertions of fact that you made, but I don't think it matters all that much. Ill explain why:

The advantage of having the undisputed T shirt fan advantage in this state is the droves of low information fans that will eat up the company line propaganda and folksy myths iowa is built on. We all know KF and staff give the least possible F's what others think.

BUT, it's entirely debatable that the hok masses care even less. It's not that hoks aren't outwardly focused or aware of the criticisms, they are. But they are overwhelmingly on a spectrum of incapable of truly understanding to defensively refusing to accept any of it. They are reflexively reactionary and will spin any sign of KF decline or failure into proof-postive of the delusional myth of iowa exceptionalism.

Sure, we can all find exceptions and examples of iowa fans that are starting to see the forest for the trees, but I think we make too much of it. I really don't think anything is close to changing over there until KF wants it to or they lose way more than they win this year, regardless of context. And their schedule looks plenty manageable, at worst.

They still believe the can compete for championships without skill players. They still think they don't get recruits because of their location or because they "work too hard", not because of anything Kirk does or doesn't do. 'Guys don't wanna win, kids are too selfish these days', etc.

I hear it all day every day. I know many of you do, too.
That's a lot of words to say very little. Honestly have no clue what you're trying to say.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron