US Open Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The views of the ocean/cliffs are nice and maybe I'm in the minority but the actual course seems pretty meh/dull to me. Don't love it.

Doesn't really have those striking holes like a pebble beach does. Maybe you get more of that actually being there but on TV it only comes across on a couple holes.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
What I learned yesterday while watching is that Torrey is a species of endangered pine tree that only grows in the area around this course and one other place.

I didn't think there was another place outside that coastal area.

Where is the other place?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Some on Golf Central said that the physical course could be anywhere in Indiana or Ohio. It doesn’t use the topography very well.
Torrey Pines is a top 50 public course. It is a Rees Jones restoration,:eek:.

But,.....it has the space and infrastructure to handle an US Open. I have been to a couple Open's and a Ryder Cup. The build-out for those events is amazing. It isn't the old guys playing at Wakonda.

Nub has higher ranked public courses, but they are nowhere. Fantastic and amazing courses. You have to go find them. Torrey Pines is easy to get in and out of.

Reactions: isutrevman

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

But,.....it has the space and infrastructure to handle an US Open. I have been to a couple Open's and a Ryder Cup. The build-out for those events is amazing. It isn't the old guys playing at Wakonda.

Nub has higher ranked public courses, but they are nowhere. Fantastic and amazing courses. You have to go find them. Torrey Pines is easy to get in and out of.

That three time winner Floppy Phil hates.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

I wouldn’t call a Rees Jones restoration a good thing. Gill Hanse last year at Wing foot and the next two years at Brookline and LACC are legit restorations

And to be honest, without Tiger’s run in 2008, this open is not at Torrey.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wouldn’t call a Rees Jones restoration a good thing. Gill Hanse last year at Wing foot and the next two years at Brookline and LACC are legit restorations

And to be honest, without Tiger’s run in 2008, this open is not at Torrey.

It’s really not a US Open course imo. Same with Harding for last years PGA.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
One thing I've never understood. Someone hits the ball way off into the rough and a crowd circles the ball and all just stare down at it.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
We were due for a dud major and this might be it. Russell Henley pulling away a little bit with a 3 shot lead

Status
Not open for further replies.