Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
I lived in towers in '01 but ate in Friley quite a bit since it was on campus. I remember people talking about "the dungeon". Just hearing about that stuff always freaked me out so much I wouldn't even go into the west side of the building! "Who's that kid?" "Don't know, never seen him before. I think he lives in 'the dungeon'..."

In Friley, before they built the UDCC, there were 2 places to eat, which we referred to as Windows and Dungeons, because windows (obviously) had a bunch of windows and dungeons was completely sealed off from natural light...

maybe thats what they were talking about

Reactions: Cyclone90

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
The Crazy House (what we called it) is easy to find. Just go north on North Dakota, till it hits the t-intersection at Cameron School Rd. Take a left and just keep going. About 2.5 miles after it becomes gravel, it's on your left. I have some VERY messed up stories about going out to the place...

You're killing me man. I need to know what happened in your stories.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
In Vet Med there is a large freezer that has a frozen dead horse in it hanging upside down. I'm guessing for Vet Med students. The cow with the cap that you can unscrew and see into it's stomach is also pretty cool.

You mean Pokey the cow. I also like the horse legs laying around that they use to practice shoeing on.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
In Friley, before they built the UDCC, there were 2 places to eat, which we referred to as Windows and Dungeons, because windows (obviously) had a bunch of windows and dungeons was completely sealed off from natural light...

maybe thats what they were talking about

Could be. Do you know if then closed dungeons before windows? Seems like I remember not even being able to go there for some reason.

I also remember when UDCC first opened and I compared it to Friley and towers dining. WOW. "Holy crap, all you can eat pizza- every day!?!?"

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Could be. Do you know if then closed dungeons before windows? Seems like I remember not even being able to go there for some reason.

I also remember when UDCC first opened and I compared it to Friley and towers dining. WOW. "Holy crap, all you can eat pizza- every day!?!?"
I was in Helser from Fall 2001-Spring 2003. They were open all that time as far as I can remember. I am not sure when the UDCC was built, I think maybe 2004?

I walked through Dodds many times on my way to and from eating. I had no idea what happened down there.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Yes, Windows and Dungeons were the eating areas in Friley. I've never heard any ghost stories from the dining areas.

Those shop areas in Dodds do look like they used to be dorm rooms.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
What's with all the Design-hate? I loved that building and the students in it are some of the brightest on campus.

No kidding. Insult a college which houses three (four if you count architecture grad program) top twenty programs; Interior Design, Landscape Architecture and Architecture.

BTW that building was designed by a guy named Calvin Lewis, ISU corner back #14, and his firm Herbert Lewis Kruse Bluck was the American Institute of Architects (AIA) firm of the year in 2000.

I can't believe it takes a Hawk fan to stick up for the COD. This is like Iowa fans bagging on their own Law School.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Can anyone go down and see if 3 rooms are sealed off. This would help colaborate the story.

Actually about a month ago, it was the week we played OK State in football, Me and my friend decided to go out urban exploring around campus to try and find the steam tunnels . Check this map out below.
tunnels.Urban Explorers Network - Iowa State University

Anyways now that you guys mention those rooms in Friley, we did happen to go past those rooms hoping to find the entrance to the tunnels. The rooms are not sealed off, they are just locked.

Last edited:

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Ok, to clear some things up. I lived on Dodds for three years as social chair and floor president from '95 to 98'. We did refer to those rooms as the dungeons. But, nobody lived down there to my knowledge. There was a private bathroom down there with a shower before you got to the laundry room. After you got past the laundry room that's pretty much as far as anybody went. Trust me on the fact that nobody ever went to those shop rooms. So, I don't know if the story is true. I have certainly heard about the basement top hat story because that is directly below Dodds. But, I don't remember hearing about the rooms down that hall. But, I stayed away from those kind of stories.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You're killing me man. I need to know what happened in your stories.

Ok. This might be kind of long. My freshman year, sunday before veishea (the '04 riots veishea), we decide to kick the week off by getting bombed, and then had a friend who wasn't drinking that night drive us out to Crazy House (what we call the place). The story we heard about the place was that it was built in memory of the two sisters who had been killed in a hit and run, waiting for a ride to school during veishea week in the 70's. The dad (who lives in a run down house across the street) had supposedly gone crazy, built the thing in memory of his daughters, and waited in the van under the yard light of his home, with a shotgun every night, in case the car that killed his daughters ever returned to the site (they were supposedly hit right there). First, we drove by the place to try and get a glimpse. We couldn't see much in the dark, but we could see how creppy the memorial was, and we saw the van sitting under the yard light at the old man's house. Well, we park about 1/4 of a mile away, and start walking up to crazy house in the dark. As we get closer to the house, the old man's dog starts barking crazy. All of a sudden we see the door of the van open and shut. At this point, we scramble back to the car, and start driving back to Ames as fast as we can down the gravel. We get a half mile down the perfectly flat gravel, and BAM! headlights turn on, within 20 ft. of our bumper. We speed up trying to lose the old man who is obviously chasing us now. As we approach the Boone/Story line, where the road turns to gravel, we see a car approaching from the north, and think if we blow through the intersection ahead of that car, we can lose the old guy. Great theory, except that guy was a Story County Deputy. He puts on cherries, pulls us over, old guy turns around. Somehow, even though we were 18 and 19, all drunk except the driver and had booze in the vehicle, while blowing a stop-sign at 90mph, when he heard our story, he completely believed us, and let us off the hook, only taking the booze we had with us. Easily one of the craziest things that has ever happened to me. I have never been so freaked out in my life.

Reactions: CyForPresident

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Actually about a month ago, it was the week we played OK State in football. Me and my friend decided to go out urban exploring around campus to try and find the steam tunnels . Check this map out below.
tunnels.Urban Explorers Network - Iowa State University

Anyways now that you guys mention those rooms in Friley, we did happen to go past those rooms hoping to find the entrance to the tunnels. The rooms are not sealed off, there are just locked.

That map is not even close. I seen the actual map and there are allot more alarms than what is on that map- there are also more tunnels.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Ok. This might be kind of long. My freshman year, sunday before veishea (the '04 riots veishea), we decide to kick the week off by getting bombed, and then had a friend who wasn't drinking that night drive us out to Crazy House (what we call the place). The story we heard about the place was that it was built in memory of the two sisters who had been killed in a hit and run, waiting for a ride to school during veishea week in the 70's. The dad (who lives in a run down house across the street) had supposedly gone crazy, built the thing in memory of his daughters, and waited in the van under the yard light of his home, with a shotgun every night, in case the car that killed his daughters ever returned to the site (they were supposedly hit right there). First, we drove by the place to try and get a glimpse. We couldn't see much in the dark, but we could see how creppy the memorial was, and we saw the van sitting under the yard light at the old man's house. Well, we park about 1/4 of a mile away, and start walking up to crazy house in the dark. As we get closer to the house, the old man's dog starts barking crazy. All of a sudden we see the door of the van open and shut. At this point, we scramble back to the car, and start driving back to Ames as fast as we can down the gravel. We get a half mile down the perfectly flat gravel, and BAM! headlights turn on, within 20 ft. of our bumper. We speed up trying to lose the old man who is obviously chasing us now. As we approach the Boone/Story line, where the road turns to gravel, we see a car approaching from the north, and think if we blow through the intersection ahead of that car, we can lose the old guy. Great theory, except that guy was a Story County Deputy. He puts on cherries, pulls us over, old guy turns around. Somehow, even though we were 18 and 19, all drunk except the driver and had booze in the vehicle, while blowing a stop-sign at 90mph, when he heard our story, he completely believed us, and let us off the hook, only taking the booze we had with us. Easily one of the craziest things that has ever happened to me. I have never been so freaked out in my life.

So is the memorial thing off to the left when heading west?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
On a side note, the basement in Beardshear is fascinating. Dirt floor, old coal furnace you can actually clime in, and a old records room that still has report cards laying on the floor from the 20's.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
the star is a little too far west. I believe its between X and V Aves, but 195th st is correct. If you just go west on Cameron School Road, you will NOT miss it. Trust me.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
the star is a little too far west. I believe its between X and V Aves, but 195th st is correct. If you just go west on Cameron School Road, you will NOT miss it. Trust me.

Reason I'm asking so much is because tomorow me and a buddy are coming up to ames to get some stuff before thanksgiving and then checking that area out. So really we just have to watch out for the crazy hillbilly then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron