UPDATE: Heacock staying at Iowa State per report

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
"At defensive coordinator, Iowa State veteran defensive play-caller Jon Heacock has emerged as a priority target for the Irish’s top defensive position. Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Heacock spent Tuesday in South Bend, Indiana, on the Notre Dame campus.

Heacock is a native of the Midwest, originally from Ohio, and a former head coach at former Football Championship Subdivision power Youngstown State. Heacock has spent the past six seasons with Matt Campbell at Iowa State, where Heacock has carved a reputation as one of college football’s great tacticians – especially as the Cyclones have leveled the playing field for their program in the Big 12 despite oftentimes not having the same depth of talent as the Oklahomas and Texases in the league.

Per sources, Heacock’s visit to Notre Dame left the Irish very impressed."

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Wouldn’t be shocked if he goes since he’s probably nearing retirement and it could be a fun and well earned last ride

BUT

I’m assuming he’d have to give up some powers to Freeman

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I’d imagine Veidt would fill the vacancy. Maybe 4-man front fans will get their wish…
I hope Heacock stays but I would also by lying if there aren't times I wish we would have more guys at/near line of scrimmage and to bring more pressure. That and the 3rd and Long conversions given up drives me nuts.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I hope Heacock stays but I would also by lying if there aren't times I wish we would have more guys at/near line of scrimmage and bring more pressure.

The novelty of our defense has worn off and teams have found the weaknesses. I was hoping for some kind of evolution this off-season anyways. Best of luck to him if he decides to move on. Will be forever grateful for his contributions.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The novelty of our defense has worn off and teams have found the weaknesses. I was hoping for some kind of evolution this off-season anyways. Best of luck to him if he decides to move on. Will be forever grateful for his contributions.
I’d like to see us move to a six man front. Guys like Petrass won’t have any time to toss the ball.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I’d like to see us move to a six man front. Guys like Petrass won’t have any time to toss the ball.
I honestly love the double A gap blitz threat.

As for Heacock, I would be happy for him, and also think ISU will be fine.

Just as defenses adjusted to the spread, offenses have adjusted to our defense.

Time for a shakeup.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good head coaches welcome staff turnover (via promotion) and the incorporation of new ideas. See Alabama.

Absolutely, but that's assuming the head coach is interested in remaining the head coach (See Alabama).

In a year where it SEEMS like Campbell has been sniffing around jobs more than normal, it is a little concerning. Not to mention that Heacock would be far and away the best choice for a new head coach is continuity is the goal (and CW seems to think that is what they would do).

• Dumb
Reactions: Aclone and CyDude16

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Absolutely, but that's assuming the head coach is interested in remaining the head coach (See Alabama).

In a year where it SEEMS like Campbell has been sniffing around jobs more than normal, it is a little concerning. Not to mention that Heacock would be far and away the best choice for a new head coach is continuity is the goal (and CW seems to think that is what they would do).
Heard a lot that Heacock is not interested in a HC position. Likes the DC position.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA

The Washington openin was the only one I actually saw a confirmed interview and offer on

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Heard a lot that Heacock is not interested in a HC position. Likes the DC position.

I could see that. My point sort of still stands though. If we were to hire Manning without Heacock, I would not like it.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

High profile programs may not be as interested in Campbell as we think they are. His stock is a little down right now. Maybe if he had beaten Clemson or Iowa…

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The Washington openin was the only one I actually saw a confirmed interview and offer on

I don't even think I've seen a confirmed interview with Washington. Either way, it seems like Campbell was sniffing around more than usual this year. Part of that was probably a 6 year itch at Iowa State, the quality of jobs opening up, and the huge group of seniors that he loved. All of those reasons are fine and frankly looking at things might help cement to someone that they are where they should be.

Of course, the other reason is that he really wants out.