UofI not paying contractors, AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I have been looking through the thread and have a question. Can the hospital even sell the painting? Was the painting donated to the hospital and therefore, unable to sell it?

I may be mis-remembering, but I think the University of Iowa owns the painting, not necessarily the hospital. The hospital is a university facility or department maybe, but probably can't dispose of general university property, just department property.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Olsen donated money for a building by trice. It’s getting tore down soon. If something is donated it can be sold. It’s yours now and your wishes. They don’t sell it because some people may look poorly on it.

I think a donor can put restrictions on donations if the recipient agrees to it. Not sure that's the case or not with the painting. Some people may indeed look poorly on the painting being sold to pay a "plumbing" bill, and it may be enough to discourage people from donating in the future if they think their donation won't necessarily be used the way they intend. At least I assume a study or appreciation of the painting is done as part of an art major's program, and I assume that being able to point to the painting is part of the way potential art students are recruited.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wasn't there some pressure to sell paintings after some flooding (maybe 08?)

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
As a small business owner that article was frustrating to read. Most of my invoices are $10,000 and below, but every once in a while you get slow played by somebody and it starts messing with how your business runs. I can't imagine being owed millions like that.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I think a donor can put restrictions on donations if the recipient agrees to it. Not sure that's the case or not with the painting. Some people may indeed look poorly on the painting being sold to pay a "plumbing" bill, and it may be enough to discourage people from donating in the future if they think their donation won't necessarily be used the way they intend. At least I assume a study or appreciation of the painting is done as part of an art major's program, and I assume that being able to point to the painting is part of the way potential art students are recruited.

This is absolutely correct. It was mentioned earlier that they should use their endowment to pay for this - they can't. The money in the endowment is donated for specific purposes typically scholarships or salaries for a specific faculty position) and if it were to be used for something other than it's intended purpose, the donor could pull the funds.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is absolutely correct. It was mentioned earlier that they should use their endowment to pay for this - they can't. The money in the endowment is donated for specific purposes typically scholarships or salaries for a specific faculty position) and if it were to be used for something other than it's intended purpose, the donor could pull the funds.

Not all money in an endowment is ear tagged for something. Some is just open donations. That is available for what the endowment board chooses.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
As a small business owner that article was frustrating to read. Most of my invoices are $10,000 and below, but every once in a while you get slow played by somebody and it starts messing with how your business runs. I can't imagine being owed millions like that.

Unfortunately, I think you can probably find examples in just about every industry. I work in telecommunications and the large well-known telcos always cheat their net terms, but if you are late by a couple days, holy hell breaks out.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Wasn't there some pressure to sell paintings after some flooding (maybe 08?)

Yes. Some Republican state legislators wanted it to happen. In part I'd guess because the University of Iowa and Iowa City never vote for them, but mainly because it was seen as a government asset and "big government" is bad. Tea Party was very much in fashion at the time. It really seemed like they knew the price of the painting, but not the value.

I don't want to go overboard sticking up for the University of Iowa, but this painting is a treasure of a study and learning opportunity for students majoring in that sort of thing. Selling it would be similar to when the regents sold WOI TV from Iowa State. It was shortsighted, asinine, a **** move, it sucked, and it continues to sucks.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't want to go overboard sticking up for the University of Iowa, but this painting is a treasure of a study and learning opportunity for students majoring in that sort of thing. Selling it would be similar to when the regents sold WOI TV from Iowa State. It was shortsighted, asinine, a **** move, it sucked, and it continues to sucks.

Except that selling WOI was done out of spite by the UI cronies on the BOR (at the behest of the Gov). It wasn't done out of a need to generate revenue to pay for a giant university cockup.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Except that selling WOI was done out of spite by the UI cronies on the BOR (at the behest of the Gov). It wasn't done out of a need to generate revenue to pay for a giant university cockup.

You're correct. I was trying to compare the two in regard to the loss of a learning opportunity.

My suggestion would be for the regents to tell the UI to pay their damn bills or the regents will pay it and deduct from the next allotment the UI is scheduled to receive. They're not going to listen to me, but it's still what I'd suggest.

The UI can find the money. For all I hear about the money the B10 network brings in, I'm reminded of the Iowa State athletic department giving money to the ISU general fund a year or so ago. The Iowa athletic department can wave a big check at the hospital instead of being all self congratulating by waving their hands.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
The Gazette had a series of articles earlier showing what a cluster the project became. Almost no accountability at the top. I would love to see the regents smack them down, because they repeatedly told the regents that the project was under control.
All of those articles were written by the same person. Coincidentally, her mother lost her job at UI Hospitals and Clinics earlier this year. I wonder why that fact is not disclosed in these articles (actually, I don't wonder at all).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sounds like ****-poor upper management and leadership. Need to fire them all and bring in new folks, but unlikely to happen. I'd imagine they get those roles by knowing the right people at UI as well as in the state gvmt.

There is a lot of patronage in our state gvmt, on both sides of the aisle - donors and buddies getting plum high-paying jobs for stuff they often don't know much about. It's a lot more like a banana republic than a midwestern state. Maybe it's always been like this, but it seems to have got worse in the past decade or two.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
At least they pay their employees on time! :D

In all seriousness, they need to figure out the SFCH ********. It was a statement building, funded primarily by donations, but it had so many complications in the design that it was bound to cause headaches during construction. A bunch of people in UIHC admin and Peds admin have already left or are leaving, and most people here assume it's directly related to this issue.

On a related note, did you know that the ISU Dance Marathon paid for enough of the MRI suite to get a plaque at the entrance? I will post a pic of it at some point if anyone cares, although there's probably a student newspaper article about it from a long time ago if Google is your friend...

Reactions: wxman1

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
All of those articles were written by the same person. Coincidentally, her mother lost her job at UI Hospitals and Clinics earlier this year. I wonder why that fact is not disclosed in these articles (actually, I don't wonder at all).

The articles still hold true. The U of I hospital is in complete disarray. I don’t need some article to reaffirm what we should all know.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Not exactly. What you described is restricted funds. There are unrestricted assets that could be used to pay for something like this.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.