Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa is whining about 7MM in cuts but their appropriation is quite a bit higher than ISU. So this U has a track record of doing less with more. This is the business people that we want teaching our kids? Maybe they need to come over to ISU and learn how to manage things.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1 and GTO

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Not all money in an endowment is ear tagged for something. Some is just open donations. That is available for what the endowment board chooses.
While some may be tagged for open donations, using money from an endowment to pay bills is poor financial practice. Having worked at a college that used their endowment to pay regular bills, it was an utter disaster.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
While some may be tagged for open donations, using money from an endowment to pay bills is poor financial practice. Having worked at a college that used their endowment to pay regular bills, it was an utter disaster.

I agree that you dont want to use it to pay regular bills, but this is construction and/or expansion bills. Different from regular general bills. This should have been bonded and don't correctly through bids. Its sounds like changes and other things were made to screw up the bid and bonding process.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I see the Rag picked up on the article. Hawkeye folks be like .......... (crickets chirping).

i

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I see the Rag picked up on the article. Hawkeye folks be like .......... (crickets chirping).
I think "the wave" is pretty cool for the children getting care at the hospital.

Anyone with a shred of integrity ought find It downright disgusting that the University proudly has not paid the contractors that have built the facility. Every home game they have the temerity to mock the contractors and the unsuspecting media into a faux belief that the University is doing business "the right way". This is a shameful PR move that bolsters the reputation of the institution, hospital, and football program. The Big 10 network, ESPN, Fox Sports etc. ought stop giving the University PR for the wave until the contractors are paid in full.

The amount of money owed by the University is disgusting.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
In separate news I read today that the legislature vastly underfunded ISU's request for it's Vet diagnostic lab. So spending tens of millions extra so iowa fans can feel good about themselves waving is OK, but funding a lab that helps prevent epidemics and preventing it from losing its accreditation is not as important. Nice to see the regents stepping up again. :rolleyes:

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...wn-veterinary-diagnostic-lab-project-20180913

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I think "the wave" is pretty cool for the children getting care at the hospital.

Anyone with a shred of integrity ought find It downright disgusting that the University proudly has not paid the contractors that have built the facility. Every home game they have the temerity to mock the contractors and the unsuspecting media into a faux belief that the University is doing business "the right way". This is a shameful PR move that bolsters the reputation of the institution, hospital, and football program. The Big 10 network, ESPN, Fox Sports etc. ought stop giving the University PR for the wave until the contractors are paid in full.

The amount of money owed by the University is disgusting.

They’ve already paid out $57 million to Modern Piping. They’re just disputing the $17 million tally. Mostly because the contractor supposedly wouldn’t guarantee their work and Hancher is already experiencing pipe issues that have already cost the school $250,000 to repair

• Optimistic
Reactions: JP4CY

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
They’ve already paid out $57 million to Modern Piping. They’re just disputing the $17 million tally. Mostly because the contractor supposedly wouldn’t guarantee their work and Hancher is already experiencing pipe issues that have already cost the school $250,000 to repair
The $17 million that the court ordered U of I to pay or a different $17 million?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Then they shouldn't have opened the hospital.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Can they find a sponsor for that waive to pay for it? "And heres the new great tradition of waiving to the hospital, brought to you by Colt 45. Cause what else are you going to have in that brown bag walking to the game, Colt 45"

• Funny
Reactions: GTO and clonedude

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The $17 million that the court ordered U of I to pay or a different $17 million?

Matty just got **** on.

He desperately googled anything so he could come back and make up a lie to defend his hawks, took a whole week to do it too. Then gets destroyed for supporting his team screwing over guys that work for a living, and committing fraud.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Just a lie, or justify?

CycloneProud

Oct 5, 2014
The Arbitration Award and Court’s Ruling validated Modern Piping’s performance on both the Hancher and UICH Projects. President Harreld’s statement to the Board of Regents concedes the University of Iowa is responsible for the problems that plagued both the Hancher and UICH Projects. On the UICH Project, the University of Iowa’s construction manager described the project as suffering acardinal change, which in construction means the owner made so many design changes that the contractors building the project were no longer building the same project that was bid. On projects that suffer a cardinal change, the result is typically contractors recover all the costs incurred on the job regardless of the terms of the contract; this is because the change in the scope of the project was so drastic, the terms of the original contract no longer apply. The University of Iowa’s numerous design changes on the UICH Project resulted in a cardinal change, costing the contractors millions of dollars for which the University of Iowa is liable. The University of Iowa has paid millions of dollars to some contractors on the UICH project, yet refuses to pay the legally-enforceable judgment owed to Modern Piping.

While Modern Piping is proud of its work and the outcomes of these projects, the University of Iowa should be ashamed of its conduct. Internal documents show the UICH project manager attempted to put two local contractors out of business. These contractors are locally-owned companies in Eastern Iowa that provide good paying jobs to some of your friends and neighbors. Internal documents show the General Counsel’s Office devised a strategy of intentionally violating the University of Iowa’s contracts with contractorsto gain a strategic advantage and intended to tie the contractors up in litigation for years after completion the project. Such unbecoming conduct is inconsistent with the University of Iowa’s core values: excellence, learning, community, diversity, integrity, respect, and responsibility.

President Harreld’s statement to the Board of Regents, which was drafted by General Counsel Carroll Reasoner, contains numerous inaccuracies:

1. The statement about only two contractors filing suit is false. In Case No. LACV079455 in Johnson County, the University of Iowa is in litigation with two other contractors. That the University of Iowa General Counsel is not aware of the number of lawsuits arising out of these projects is indicative of the quality of legal advice that is provided to President Harreld.

2. The statement about not accepting Modern Piping’s claims as valid and never agreeing to pay is false. Internal University of Iowa documents admitted Modern Piping’s claims were valid and some were to be backcharged to other contractors. At the arbitration, the University of Iowa conceded Modern Piping was entitled to recover some amount on all its claims on both projects and only disputed the exact amount of damages. The University of Iowa conceded no less than $3.4 million was owed. None of this amount has been paid, even though it was conceded. If the claims weren’t valid, President Harreld wouldn’t have agreed to settle for $18.5 million.

3. The statement about Modern Piping not standing behind its work is inaccurate. Modern Piping offered the same settlement language the University of Northern Iowa had agreed to as part of a settlement on a different construction project. The University of Iowa refused. Modern Piping offered the same settlement language as a settlement of a construction dispute arising out of the UIHC parking garage. The University of Iowa refused. Modern Piping offered settlement language similar to a federal contractorcompleting a federal project. The University of Iowa refused. Modern Piping asked to be treated like Northern Iowa treated contractors in a settlement, like the University of Iowa treated contractors in a settlement, or like a federal contractor on a federal project. The University of Iowa rejected all these reasonable requests.

4. The statement about the as-built plans and specifications simply ignore the decision of the Arbitration Panel after hearing nine days of testimony: “This Interim Award specifically precludes Iowa from asserting backcharges for as-built drawings.” Modern Piping has prepared all requested documents to a level significantly more detailed than requested by The University of Iowa. This advanced detail, which is many times more accurate than standard documents, was suggested by Modern Piping as part of anegotiated settlement to which the University of Iowa has declined to honor. This part of the negotiations also included a significant discount from the awarded $21.5 million dollars.

5. Regarding the SINGLE piping leak at Hancher Auditorium President Harreld either misstated, was mislead by his staff, or intentionally mislead the Board of Regents. Modern Piping has been working closely with Steve Otto from the University of Iowa Design and Construction Services Department to ensure all repairs are being made to the exacting standards the project required. Modern Piping has assumed all financial responsibility for this event. Modern Piping will continue to stand behind the work our team executed under difficult circumstances. Modern has an on-site representative who has been coordinating the repairs. We expect all repairs at Hancher will be complete next week. Once again, the report given to the Board of Regents was inaccurate, incomplete or intentionally misleading.

The interest is accruing at $2321 per day on the amount due. From the first day of class on August 20 through the last day of finals on December 14, 2018, interest will accrue in the amount of $269,236, or stated differently, for the same dollar amount, Iowa could offer free in-state tuition to about 33 Iowa residents for the fall semester. Especially in tight economic times, the University of Iowa should be focused on its core educational mission, not issuing press releases draft by its General Counsel riddled with false and inaccurate statements.

Modern Piping is extremely proud of our entire team, including those tasked with completing work on both projects. The professionalism and commitment to completing projects with extremely high quality and efficiency should be applauded. Modern Piping is looking forward to resuming a productive relationship with the University of Iowa, if possible. In addition, we are also proud that this stressful time has not diminished our ability to complete mission-critical projects for our clients. It is truly a testament to the strength of our organization.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Matty just got **** on.

He desperately googled anything so he could come back and make up a lie to defend his hawks, took a whole week to do it too. Then gets destroyed for supporting his team screwing over guys that work for a living, and committing fraud.

? I don’t think you have a very good grasp of what’s going on or have a strong understanding of the legal system. That’s to be expected tho, most lay people don’t. Modern Piping isn’t hurting for $$ either, especially with their recent acquisitions. This will play out for some time I’m sure. Putting all bias aside, it’s pretty clear there was some grabd standing early on and most people are only hearing one side of the story. A lot of things aren’t adding up here and there’s pretty good chance the original decision will be set aside.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: isutrevman and GTO

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
? I don’t think you have a very good grasp of what’s going on or have a strong understanding of the legal system. That’s to be expected tho, most lay people don’t. Modern Piping isn’t hurting for $$ either, especially with their recent acquisitions. This will play out for some time I’m sure. Putting all bias aside, it’s pretty clear there was some grabd standing early on and most people are only hearing one side of the story. A lot of things aren’t adding up here and there’s pretty good chance the original decision will be set aside.
Oh, the company is rich? Well **** paying them then.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just out of curiousity... who receives the money generated from parking fees in the Hospital ramps during football games for tailgaters? Is it the hospital, or the Iowa Athletic Department?

I assume it all goes to the hospital because if it doesn't, that's about as pathetic and disgusting as it gets.

The nurses down there already can't park in those ramps on game days and have to find parking miles away and walk. That in itself is disgusting. I'd imagine there are a LOT of patients families and friends who also have to do the same thing as well on game days, right?

But it's all about "The Wave" folks. Heck, the Iowa Athletic Department should be writing checks to the hospital already for all the wonderful national press they are getting for "The Wave".

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just out of curiousity... who receives the money generated from parking fees in the Hospital ramps during football games for tailgaters? Is it the hospital, or the Iowa Athletic Department?

I assume it all goes to the hospital because if it doesn't, that's about as pathetic and disgusting as it gets.

The nurses down there already can't park in those ramps on game days and have to find parking miles away and walk. That in itself is disgusting. I'd imagine there are a LOT of patients families and friends who also have to do the same thing as well on game days, right?

But it's all about "The Wave" folks. Heck, the Iowa Athletic Department should be writing checks to the hospital already for all the wonderful national press they are getting for "The Wave".
When I’ve had to park for the hospital on a random Tuesday, Ive had to go up levels and levels to find a spot in ramp 4. Parking is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.