Unsung Heros: Garrett, Thompson, Haluska

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I just want to give a shout out to these guys. I'm proud of the entire team, but these guys don't get enough credit in my opinion. When these guys are clicking they really give the team a boost and I think they make the future bright for ISU. Go Cyclones!!

SaxaCLONE13

Nov 6, 2007
I completely agree. Haluska played a great game and its great to see him drain those 3s but missing that front end of the 1 and 1 kinda hurt but great game guys. They will help alot next year!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sorry, but in the first half of overtime when the score is closed to tied, you do not shoot threes unless you have rebounding available. I think taking Jiri out at the start of overtime was a mistake when Jiri is the leading scorer at 24 and you cannot score a lick and his parents were at the game. Sorry, coaching mistake.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Sorry, but in the first half of overtime when the score is closed to tied, you do not shoot threes unless you have rebounding available. I think taking Jiri out at the start of overtime was a mistake when Jiri is the leading scorer at 24 and you cannot score a lick and his parents were at the game. Sorry, coaching mistake.

Wes, Jiri had 4 fouls. I don't think that was bad decision to take him out and they were forced to shoot 3's due to good defense. I don't think it was part of Greg's game plan to shoot 3's. He wanted to feed it inside.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My point is you have to gamble against the good teams. It was evident that we would be in the hole before Jiri came back in. They also had big men in foul trouble. You must gamble at the end of the game. We did not. We lost.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
My point is you have to gamble against the good teams. It was evident that we would be in the hole before Jiri came back in. They also had big men in foul trouble. You must gamble at the end of the game. We did not. We lost.

Thay didn't have anyone with 4 fouls like Jiri did. There is a huge difference between 3 fouls and 4.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Thay didn't have anyone with 4 fouls like Jiri did. There is a huge difference between 3 fouls and 4.

HUGE difference. Until we get someone that can drive and create on a consistent basis (Garrett is far from consistent), we will be chucking up 3's.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I disagree with sitting Jiri the first half of the overtime. You have to play with 4 fouls when the game is on the line. Look at the shooting of Craig (1 for 9) and Wesley (4 for 17) nd tell me you could sit Jiri. Who was left to pick up the slack. We did score 3 points. And who scored those points? DG on his thirf attempt. We do not have the luxury to take Jiri out in an overtime when he has almopst half of our points..

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I wish we'd had Jiri in there more for OT, too, but let's face it, if Texas uses their heads at all, they'd be pounding the ball inside to get that 5th fould. With today's whistles, their odds would have been pretty good, and Jiri is gone.

As it was, at least we could get him in there for the later OT minutes, which could have been a more decisive point in the game.

It's a pick-your-poison sort of decision. Just have to pick which option is least bad, in a sense.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Let's face it, this team needs every point it can get. So what if you play great defense and yet barely score more than 60.

Sean looked comfortable out there. AT knows how to play position ball. So does Jiri. BP looked good. Rashon almost won the game earlier with his tight defense.

Yet the refs. just IMO, gave UT some big breaks (about 10 of them) and we received only 3 in return on our home court.

The picks were very good out top. Much better than in the past.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Let's face it, this team needs every point it can get. So what if you play great defense and yet barely score more than 60.

Sean looked comfortable out there. AT knows how to play position ball. So does Jiri. BP looked good. Rashon almost won the game earlier with his tight defense.

Yet the refs. just IMO, gave UT some big breaks (about 10 of them) and we received only 3 in return on our home court.

The picks were very good out top. Much better than in the past.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Some of those breaks that UT got turned into points, and every point counts in a game that close. This year should be taking away the idea that the home team gets most of the calls.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'd like to know the 10 calls that went in the favor of Texas? To me, and I had the benefit of seeing everything replayed on TV as well as DVR if I wanted, I can only recall 2 blantantly poor calls. They were:

1.) Missed goaltend on DG's drive in the 1st half.

2.) Foul on Texas in overtime that allowed Haluska to the line for 1 and 1 (which he promtly missed).

Other than those two...nothing ridiculously poor somes to mind.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Give me a break. I stand by numerous blown calls. These refs looked like they were a brain thought or two behind at all times.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Watching Sean start to play with some confidence is very nice. He's no longer afraid/tentative after that nasty streak and is on a pretty nice run now.

Certainly gave us a boost today.

Diante also made some nice plays - took it to the hoop when it was there. Just need him to do better in traffic.

Alex played good defense as usual.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Garrett needs to shart ahead of Peterson there is no reason why not

I think it is getting to that point. Just looked who started OT. Peterson did have a good game but DG can do so much more with the ball. He just has to get over the knee high passes and the turnovers.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I really like watching Diante play. I really get frustrated with his inability to finish at times, but he is one of the few players on our team that has the ability to create something on their own. He can drive the lane. I love the fact that he is only a freshman... he is going to be special by the time he is a Junior, IMHO.

I am really excited to have Garrett, Lucca, Wes (Eikmeier), Buckley, Wesley, and Brackins on this team for next year. I think the improvement we see from Garrett and Brackins will be much needed. I love the fact that we are going to return some experience combined with new shooting skill for next year!!! I think the improvement we see for next year (W's and L's) will be like night and day.

Also, good job by Thompson and Haluska too. Thompson is going to be a solid player next year in the post if he keeps improving like he has this year. Haluska will give us some quality minutes.

Aaron Jacobs

Sep 24, 2007
Robins, IA
I'd like to know the 10 calls that went in the favor of Texas? To me, and I had the benefit of seeing everything replayed on TV as well as DVR if I wanted, I can only recall 2 blantantly poor calls. They were:

1.) Missed goaltend on DG's drive in the 1st half.

2.) Foul on Texas in overtime that allowed Haluska to the line for 1 and 1 (which he promtly missed).

Other than those two...nothing ridiculously poor somes to mind.

They missed a hack on DG in the first half, i herd the wrist slap from the 5th row