Tyrus in trouble?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if he would be in trouble if he had taken the wallet with him rather than just taking the money out of it. At least, then when he was accused, he could have said that he hadn't gotten around to turning it in yet.

spelhome

Jan 19, 2012
Woodward, Iowa
As someone who made stupid mistakes in my youth I hope he learns from it. People sometimes do stupid things in the spur of the moment they later regret.

As an 18 year old high school student I was ticketed for 5th degree theft after a girl at a party asked that I go to the store and get a bottle of $10 schnapps and meet her at the park. Thinking with the "wrong head" I decided I would attempt to use my older brothers expired license to buy it (I kept it in my wallet but had never attempted to use it as he looked nothing like me). Well when I approached the checkout line I saw a friend of my parents, I quickly turned around and instictually concealed the bottle in my front belt under my coat. I made it two steps before someone grabbed me by the shoulder and took me to the back room. When a police officer came I explained that Ireally had no intention of stealing (I have never stolen anything in my life) and actually told him the whole story. Showed him my brothers ID and he said "well it's your choice I can give you a $30 ticket for 5th degree theft and you can leave right now or I can haul you down to the station and charge you with using a fake id, probably get a $90 fine and you will lose your drivers licence for 6 months". I opted for the $30 ticket. Nobody knew about it at the time, parents didnt find out etc. But 17 years later I wish I had never been such an idiot and i wish I har taken the fake ID charge. It Would have meant a lot more trouble at the time (on a lot if fronts) I had a scholarship offer I was afraid of losing etc. But now I have a "character crime" on my record because of a few impulse decisions as an 18 year old. Now I get to tell that story every time I apply for a job. To my knowledge it hasnt cost me a job but as someone who considers themself an honest person it is something I hate to have associated with me and I hate that my character is inevitably in question.

Who knows what was going through tyrus's head but a lot of 16-24 year olds have done dumb things and gone on to be quality people. The male brain doesnt fully mature until 21-24 years of age and the last part to develope is the part if our frontal lobe that fully connects long term consequences to our short term actions in real time (we become less impulsive). It is why young males engage in risky behavior (they dont condider ther own mortality), why crime is most likely to occur before the 25th birthday and why we have the term "youthful indiscretions".

I am glad you never did something you later regretted but you asked why these guys make dumb mistakes... well 3 true had it right or maybe he does have some major charector flaws. I for one am willing to give a college kid the benifit of the doubt and hope he learns from it.

Exceptional post. I have a son who is a freshman at ISU. If he did what Tyrus purportedly did, I would be very disappointed at such a lapse in what I understand to be his character and judgement, but I wouldn't write him off as the bad person so many posters are ready to do with Tyrus. Nor would I shrug it off as other posters seem to be doing. Hopefully people who love and care about Tyrus, like his mother, won't either. While I understand completely why you hate that youthful mistake following your around for the rest of your life, remember that it probably also helped to define you as the high character person you are today. From what I know (which is little) of Tyrus, I wouldn't be surprised if he will go forward in his life as a better person because of what he learns from the mistake he made. I wish him the best. Thank you for the time and effort you took to post this.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I'm 21 and don't think I could ever steal someone else's hard earned money unless I was on the street dying of starvation. I've never even considered stealing even something stupid like a candy bar. I remember kids in high school being kleptos but I just don't think I could ever do it. I don't feel bad for any consequences Tyrus faces because of a stupid decision. I don't think he's a bad person but I do think he's an idiot for doing that. In case anyone has forgotten Tyrus got arrested earlier this year (september) for buying alcohol for a minor. Yes, on a college campus that rule doesn't "apply" because every freshman, sophomore gets there booze from someone older or a fake but thats still two stupid avoidable charges within 9 months of each other.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Is keeping the money illegal. I'm not arguing it isn't wrong, but if you find $220 on the ground it isn't illegal to pick it up and keep it. Does the fact that it was in a wallet make it illegal?