TX School Song

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'd rather keep my sugar daddy happy then 17-23 year olds.. May be an unpopular opinion. But if Texas wins, the 17-23yr olds won't care. If Texas loses, you still get to be rich

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well Neil Diamond wrote it about Caroline Kennedy, who was like 12 at the time it came out, so...you can run with that.

Great. Now it reminds me of the Kennedy family, specifically JFK, one of the worst presidents in American history. Maybe not the worst given the stiffness of the competition there, but probably the most overrated.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The egos in Texas have no bounds. The fact this was such a big deal to the admin (most likely donors) probably means there’s going to be some attrition throughout the year.

It’s unfortunate to say, but it’s easier to replace the players than the donors.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
The Eyes of Texas used to be performed by white musicians wearing blackface. Black student athletes took issue with this and started refusing to sing it, wealthy white donors took offense and demanded a coach that would reinstate the tradition.
Sounds like it's eligible to run for governor of Virginia. Course with that weak SOS, might have to settle for Canadian PM.

• Haha
  • Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens and Tri

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Can I do situations? Because of it was just in your own home, then that doesn't count.
Texas stadium in front of 100k people?

Obliviously singing a song mocking Muhammed in front of a bunch of extremsists where death is basically certain is off the table, because then you dont really get the money.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The Eyes of Texas used to be performed by white musicians wearing blackface. Black student athletes took issue with this and started refusing to sing it, wealthy white donors took offense and demanded a coach that would reinstate the tradition.

I don’t think abstaining singing The Eyes of Texas is a deal breaker, but apparently there are those who think differently.

There are many alumni who don't subscribe to the artistic license used to facilitate this incarnation of the cancel culture movement....including Ricky Williams and Vince Young. The argument against the song is that the saying "Eyes of Texas" is racist because it's a Robert E. Lee quote and that at a certain points in history racist people sang it. It's nonsense. If black or white supremacists used Sweet Caroline as their theme song at events, no sane person would be demanding ISU stop playing it because it's ties to racism.

This whole thing is an issue because no one has presented the kids with the other side of the story. But regardless, in the short term the controversy is going to help schools that compete against them, including us.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There are many alumni who don't subscribe to the artistic license used to facilitate this incarnation of the cancel culture movement....including Ricky Williams and Vince Young. The argument against the song is that the saying "Eyes of Texas" is racist because it's a Robert E. Lee quote and that at a certain points in history racist people sang it. It's nonsense. If black or white supremacists used Sweet Caroline as their theme song at events, no sane person would be demanding ISU stop playing it because it's ties to racism.

This whole thing is an issue because no one has presented the kids with the other side of the story. But regardless, in the short term the controversy is going to help schools that compete against them, including us.
Gosh, a thoughtful, insightful appraisal of the situation, rather than a shallow, knee-jerk reaction. I didn’t know anyone was still into doing that nowadays.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Neil Diamond admitted he wrote it about Caroline Kennedy after he saw her riding a horse after JFKs death. Someone did the math and she would have been 11-13 when the song was written.
Facts are your friend.

Edit: For the full story, read down.